Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 08:42 PM

4,514 posts, read 1,868,137 times

Advertisements

I don’t want to hear about orange man bad or mr magoo

Can someone explain why someone making close to what they made a year ago or better needs a government handout to survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 08:46 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
They don't need a handout any more than USA corporations need them, or farmers who are paid not to grow crops. But this is America and this is how we take care of perceived problems.... By throwing fist fulls of money at them until the complaining stops, or is at least bearable.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,571,188 times
Like you are 5? Ok. The correct word is “whose.” “Who’s” is a contraction that is short for “who is.” In your sentence, “who is” makes no sense. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As for the economics piece, the idea behind stimulus is to stimulate the economy by injecting cash directly into places that it will enter circulation. I mostly agree that if someone is making exactly what they made last year, they do not need a stimulus payment nearly as much as others and that money is better spent to help those who are making less.

That’s not to say that stimulus sent to this group doesn’t help. What happens is you spend the extra money on a new car or more takeout, and that creates jobs, which in turn creates more wages and has a multiplicative effect. What you do not want is for that stimulus to land in a bank account and sit there. That's why top wage earners are not eligible, but the middle class are. They will spend the money instead of saving it.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,748,112 times
I agree. I didn't spend the last check and if I get another I wont spend it either. I have a feeling down the line they'll want it back.

I make decent money, have a good savings cushion. I haven't been impacted directly by the virus in terms of work.

People like me shouldn't be getting money. Why are they just sending out money willy nilly? Shouldn't people on unemployment and or those who need it, apply for it.

Like usual, the assbackwards incompetent buffoonery that is the government is at play here.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:59 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,571,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree. I didn't spend the last check and if I get another I wont spend it either. I have a feeling down the line they'll want it back.

I make decent money, have a good savings cushion. I haven't been impacted directly by the virus in terms of work.

People like me shouldn't be getting money. Why are they just sending out money willy nilly? Shouldn't people on unemployment and or those who need it, apply for it.

Like usual, the assbackwards incompetent buffoonery that is the government is at play here.
This is the worst thing you can do for the economy if you do not think you need it. Either spending it or donating it is far better for the economy.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,526,309 times
repost

Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 PM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
I like getting an extra $2,000 in my bank account.

It's a good feeling.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:03 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,653,080 times
I believe the logic behind doling out checks to everyone is that it's way easier and faster for the government to do it this way, instead of trying to figure out who needs what and who doesn't. This made sense for the first round, because they were desperate to get money into the economy, fast. But they've had nine months since then, which is time that they should have been using to much more closely fine-tune the aid to match it with those who truly need it.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:04 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Like you are 5? Ok. The correct word is “whose.” “Who’s” is a contraction that is short for “who is.” In your sentence, “who is” makes no sense. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As for the economics piece, the idea behind stimulus is to stimulate the economy by injecting cash directly into places that it will enter circulation. I mostly agree that if someone is making exactly what they made last year, they do not need a stimulus payment nearly as much as others and that money is better spent to help those who are making less.

That’s not to say that stimulus sent to this group doesn’t help. What happens is you spend the extra money on a new car or more takeout, and that creates jobs, which in turn creates more wages and has a multiplicative effect. What you do not want is for that stimulus to land in a bank account and sit there. That's why top wage earners are not eligible, but the middle class are. They will spend the money instead of saving it.
Plus the amount of time spent to figure out who needs it means a lot of delay before getting the money to those who are truly in need.

But yes, a big part of it is the idea of stimulating the economy and those who are not in direct need can spend the money in ways that will help other people keep their jobs, such as restaurant staff for takeout food or on other products or services provided by establishments who have come up with safe ways to serve customers but aren't getting as many customers as they need.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:08 PM

23,231 posts, read 29,071,258 times
I'm on Social Security, I don't need it, and why are they sending me a check? To go spend it and stimulate the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies