Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 05:37 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If someone dies at age 78 from COVID, he's not faring much worse than someone who dies from a heart attack at age 78? That's true, I guess, but is it particularly insightful?
It's very insightful. Do you think COVID is killing blacks disproportionately because it's racist?

No, it's because we are one of the most unhealthiest demographics in America.

I know liberals don't like facts and stats but they really need to try educating themselves.

https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/l...d-Obesity/data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 05:51 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I didn't know 78 year olds only had two ways to die in this world.
How ever many there are , Covid just added one more way to die. The fact that it is preventable doesn't bother people because "they're old anyway."

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-26-2020 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 07:42 AM

726 posts, read 328,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I know Trump supporters don't like facts and stats but they really need to try educating themselves.
Fixed that for you.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:55 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Average age of US people who died of Covid-19: 78, Average Life Expectancy in the US: 78

Please forgive me, I'm not good with statistics.

Does this men that if no one had died from Covid-19, there would be NO CHANGES of the total number of people who died, from all causes?
A whole lot more oldsters all over world have died this year than normal.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:57 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
But instead of passing away peacefully in their sleep now 78-year-olds have to die gasping for air with a pipe stuck down their throat.
More than likely dying oblivious as they would be heavily sedated by then.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:00 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
I constantly complain about how the media ALWAYS talks about the number of cases and NOT the number of deaths and the ages of those that have died.

Maybe you should ask yourself why that is. It COULD be a huge cover up - or it COULD be what they've been trying to tell you since the beginning - deaths are not the reason for the restrictions. The mortality rate turned out to be fairly unimportant, in the big scheme of things, although - right now - it is THE number one killer (USA). No single cause is killing more people (per day) than COVID. Nothing.

Nope - this is not about death, and hasn't been for a while.* It's about resources. That is not my opinion. That's the way it is. The media doesn't focus on the deaths because that's not the problem. FULL HOSPITALS is the problem.

*for instance - Ohio's restrictions are based on a color code system, and your color (of county) is determined by a number of factors...and death is not one of them. That's proof right there that this is NOT an opinion - it's the way it is. The death stats do not matter. They just do not. Accept it and move on.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Source for 1st statement: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm
Source for 2nd statement: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm

I feel this is something we do have to keep in mind.

While it is sad that we are now above 320k deaths, in many cases these people's time was just about up anyway.
That's been posted before, and it's still incorrect. That's life expectancy at birth. Life expectancy at 78 is over 10 years. If they hadn't gotten sick, they would've lived another 10 years on average.

If it was accurate, the average life expectancy would not have dropped this year to the lowest in almost 20 years.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...0at%20age%2065.

Deaths from other causes will rise since hospitals are near or at capacity from the pandemic.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Another erroneous simplistic conclusion (which is somewhat ironic given that you charge me with such in your post).

I didn't say covid was nothing.

I'm certainly not simple minded.

I wear a mask.

I don't go to gatherings.

I will get the vaccine likely at some point during 2021.

None of that means I have to be blind to the facts regarding the deceased.
Well I'm certainly glad to hear that. Does it really matter how many people have died? One is too many. This carnage never should have happened here. We are in pathetic territory when you look at Taiwan and other countries that got this right. We are far from finished with the deaths as well because too many people are Covidiots. I saw one the other day wearing his tattered shorts in 30 degree weather, his light jacket and dirty sneakers. He pulled up in front of the gas station door like some entitled rectum, got out, and went in with no mask on. He walked out with his case of cheap beer and drove off. I would be willing to bet you a C note that he's one of the it's a hoax crowd out there spreading it because they believe all this BS herd immunity crap.

I don't think any thread that diminishes the suffering and encourages the lunatic fringe is helpful. We are in this nightmare because of the morons that refuse to take this seriously.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
95% of the deaths from COVID are people over 50 years old. Why can't the young just live normally and we just protect the older set? Are we really this dumb?
Yikes. Tell that to the mother that lost her 18 year old son to Covid in the next town from us. It's not that simple. You do realize that there are complications that can go along with this illness as well? It's always the other guy until it isn't. Would you be willing to sacrifice a loved one so you can just go on about your business?

This bug is both insidious and mysterious. One neighbors son had it and did not spread it to his parents under the same room. Another neighbors daughter had it and spread it to her fathers household. The same neighbors nephew had it, not once, but twice. Another Respiratory Therapist friend told me of a patient hospitalized with Covid, recovered, discharged, and returning again with Covid a couple of months later.

Yes, you might be lucky and recover, but you might also give it to someone in your family or to a friend that might give it to someone who could either have complications or die from it.

It's not just about "protecting the older set." It's about protecting everyone including those young people that die from it.

Another therapist friend told me about a 30 year old nurse that caught it, spent a couple of months on a ventilator, and then died. Health care workers are catching this and dying as well. Don't even get me started on the collateral damage from people not being able to get care because hospitals are over run. I had to wait 3 months for my hysterectomy because I didn't have a cancer diagnosis. I couldn't have a cancer diagnosis with out the surgery and staging. I could easily have been part of that collateral damage.

So stop with the, well it's the older people mentality, because it goes way deeper than that. You need to read more about this.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:39 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Source for 1st statement: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm
Source for 2nd statement: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm

I feel this is something we do have to keep in mind.

While it is sad that we are now above 320k deaths, in many cases these people's time was just about up anyway.
Life expectancy of 78 is from birth. But once you reach the age of 78, the average life expectancy is about 87.

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...cy-calculator/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies