Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:30 PM

18,823 posts, read 8,481,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Hell no, I plan to live until at least 95, but I have healthier habits than many people so that should be no problem.

Also, there's no reason a healthy and fit 78 year old would need to die of covid, it's just a stronger flu really if you are healthy.

The guy who sold me my ski boots was 73 but looked like he was in his 50s. No way would covid have killed him.
You cannot know this. Healthy old people die of Covid if their immune system is simply wearing out. Something they won't know until Covid hits them. And they can die from cytokine storm, the result of an over reactive immune system. Something that they wouldn't know until Covid hits.

Looking young is no way to estimate how one's older immune system will react to Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 12:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
Quote:
I never went to medical school, however, anyone can choose to educate themselves on how to maintain a healthy body and live a long life. Unfortunately, far too few choose to do so.
COVID gets people in a few different ways.

Being in good shape helps you avoid the opportunistic infections that get a lot of people.

But........

You can be in the best shape in the world and if you get COVID and your immune system kicks off that cytokine storm....you got problems.

Or if you get COVID and you end up developing a clot....you got problems.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Sure no one is guaranteed a long life and it's still a game of chance to some degree, but you can stack the deck in your favor to increase your odds.
Of course.

Some people are starting in a genetic hole though.

Remember that dude from the tv show "The Biggest Loser"? He was one of the trainers for the contestants. So a health nut of the highest order. Every male in his family eventually had a heart attack and he had his at something like 45. Can't remember the details now.

In any event, I'm still not sure what all this means or what your point is.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Important to remember the 300k plus deaths involve people dying of other causes but have COVID so are counted there too. The CDC even says this on their website.
If someone tests Covid 19 positive and soon dies, more than likely they died because of Covid 19. But not absolutely. They can die in a motorcycle crash for instance, or from some other natural medical condition.

It will take more time to weed out many of those who died WITH and not FROM Covid 19. But this won't be a large percent.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
The only relevant number we need is total number of US deaths. Always inching upwards. So how many people died (total all causes) in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and how many so far this year? By watching the news coverage of Covid, we should all expect that number to be like 10X higher. Right?
You would think considering the hype in the news and in social media or even city data coming from uninformed people, but in reality the death rate in the US will rise at its average percentage. This is similar to what other countries have seen, and in fact some have seen even less deaths overall in 2020 compared to years prior.

I mean it makes sense when the CDC is telling us 99.7% of people under age 65 are fine and recover. But people don't put it together and continue to parrot fear mongering news articles, disregarding any opinions from reputable doctors which goes against what they were told on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If someone tests Covid 19 positive and soon dies, more than likely they died because of Covid 19. But not absolutely. They can die in a motorcycle crash for instance, or from some other natural medical condition.

It will take more time to weed out many of those who died WITH and not FROM Covid 19. But this won't be a large percent.
Well right now the CDC estimates that over 100,000 of the people from the 300k number died with covid, not because of it, so thats a pretty large percentage I'll say.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
The msm has blown the covid death rate out of proportion, they want people scared and hospitals are making money each time the cause of death is listed as covid.
Hard to imagine this notion is still out there almost a year into the Pandemic. There is no hospital reimbursement bonus for ANY death diagnosis in the USA.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

Well right now the CDC estimates that over 100,000 of the people from the 300k number died with covid, not because of it, so thats a pretty large percentage I'll say.
I would have to see that data. What I suspect you refer to is of the roughly 300k of the excess death numbers so far this year in the USA, about 1/3 are non-Covid.

A bit dated now:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2774445

Old 12-24-2020, 12:44 PM

25,590 posts, read 17,310,316 times
I'm 75. My life expectancy, since I have made it this far, is another 11.7 years.

When I was born, they did not expect me to live this long, since the average life expectancy then was 63.6 years.

Gotta be a little careful with those numbers and all......

Old 12-24-2020, 12:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The average life expectancy is misleading here. Do you think all the people who would have died at 65 are actually living an extra 13 years because of the average life expectancy?

What you want to look at is the median life expectancy in America which is 85 years.

The long and short of it is that Covid is cutting off good years for tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Americans. But life is not a precious to Americans as they would have you believe.
Here here. Too many think those that get covid are somehow gonna die anyway. Not all diabetics die early at all.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm 75. My life expectancy, since I have made it this far, is another 11.7 years.

When I was born, they did not expect me to live this long, since the average life expectancy then was 63.6 years.

Gotta be a little careful with those numbers and all......
That is true.

But the majority of those dying from Covid 19 at advanced ages have medical conditions that most likely limit their expected remaining years of life to less than average. And of course that will vary widely by the individual's pre-Covid condition and their medical diagnoses. No doubt the life and HC insurance companies will know this in great detail. If not already, then soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies