Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 07:08 AM

59,428 posts, read 27,577,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Source for 1st statement: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm
Source for 2nd statement: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm

I feel this is something we do have to keep in mind.

While it is sad that we are now above 320k deaths, in many cases these people's time was just about up anyway.
I constantly complain about how the media ALWAYS talks about the number of cases and NOT the number of deaths and the ages of those that have died.

United States COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by State

Reported to the CDC since January 21, 2020

TOTAL CASES

TOTAL DEATHS

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

I'm no math whiz but, the number of deaths related to trh number of case looks very small to me.

Other things they DON'T talk about:
Form Oct

"The vast majority of deaths, including COVID-19-related deaths, occurred in an inpatient, healthcare setting. Here’s the breakdown:
  • Healthcare inpatient: 135,340
  • Nursing home or long-term care facility: 43,879
  • Home: 11,281
  • Healthcare outpatient or emergency room: 7,187
  • Hospice: 6,267
  • Other: 3,648
  • Healthcare setting, dead on arrival: 192
  • Unknown: 88"
"A downward trend continued for most age groups, too. Mortality rates for those 0 to 25, and those 45 to 64 were slightly below usual, while deaths for those 75 and older were slightly above usual, based on data between 2015 and 2019. Only the group aged 85 and older is experiencing a slight increase in mortality rate"

https://www.biospace.com/article/cov...tick-in-cases/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 07:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,753,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ok, but what’s your point?

I have slight arthritis in my right hip. I eat/exercise like a health nut.

Doc told me “s*it happen” when I inquired about it.

Time for me to off myself and I’m not even 50 yet?
? I haven't seen anyone advocate suicide.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:24 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,577,972 times
My grandmother lived to 96. My father lived to 93. Both had their wits about them.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:36 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,067,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
About one third of the excess deaths may be due to other causes but that still leaves in excess of 200,000 due to COVID-19.

Please do not post this anywhere ever again. Hospitals do not get paid anything for deaths.

It was still the virus that did the killing.

No, about 320,000 higher than the number that would be predicted, which accounts for more deaths due to population growth.

Death certificates may take eight weeks or more to complete, and they are not submitted to the state instantaneously. There is no conspiracy to delay reporting.

Quarantine the obese and there will be nowhere for you to go. Everything would close down because there would be too few workers to keep everything open.
Good info. I agree a better way to analyze it might be to look at typical death rate pattern for prior years and then see how it changed. I don't know where to get the best data on that but a quick Google search seems to suggest alignment (from Oct 10, 2020):
"So far this year, 2.39 million Americans have died of all causes. At the same point in both 2018 and 2019, it was 2.17 million. The difference nearly matches the reported number of COVID-19 victims."

Old 12-25-2020, 08:10 AM

18,900 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Good info. I agree a better way to analyze it might be to look at typical death rate pattern for prior years and then see how it changed. I don't know where to get the best data on that but a quick Google search seems to suggest alignment (from Oct 10, 2020):
"So far this year, 2.39 million Americans have died of all causes. At the same point in both 2018 and 2019, it was 2.17 million. The difference nearly matches the reported number of COVID-19 victims."
Scroll down to the graph. Roughly a 1/3 of these excess deaths are non-Covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Old 12-25-2020, 08:32 AM

726 posts, read 330,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Average age of people who died of Covid-19: 78....

Median decedent age [from Covid-19] was 78 years...
It's probably been said before, but to reiterate, the average and the median are very different measures. Median means half are younger and half are older. That's a lot different than adding up all the ages and dividing by the number of addends.

So half of all Covid-19 deaths were younger than 78. I imagine they are all pretty disappointed that they didn't make it to 78 like they might have expected in America.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
It's probably been said before, but to reiterate, the average and the median are very different measures. Median means half are younger and half are older. That's a lot different than adding up all the ages and dividing by the number of addends.

So half of all Covid-19 deaths were younger than 78. I imagine they are all pretty disappointed that they didn't make it to 78 like they might have expected in America.
Median and Mean (what we are taught as average in fifth grade) are the most common averages. Mode is the other and that is from most common data. So for instance let's say that 3,000 COVID deaths were 75 year olds and that was the most common age, that would be the average even if the mean is 78 and the median is 86. Often studies will say which average (mean or median) was used. Mode isn't used since it isn't done in any formulaic way.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:21 AM

34,302 posts, read 18,684,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Nothing to see here. Mostly, life expectancy is tied to two factors, genes and lifestyle. As my Doc is want to say, I see people with good genes screw it up with bad lifestyle, all day; all day long. Your choice folks and a national whatever will prevent or fix poor choices.

So consider the covid deaths as mostly culling the herd of the weaklings.
Which disease has done since the beginning of Man and actually prior. Now, we allow government and corporations to destroy our standard of living, quality of life and take away our natural rights out of pure, FEAR of what is natural and normal. Many of the weak minded buy into it.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:29 AM

18,900 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Which disease has done since the beginning of Man and actually prior. Now, we allow government and corporations to destroy our standard of living, quality of life and take away our natural rights out of pure, FEAR of what is natural and normal. Many of the weak minded buy into it.
How many deaths does would you say it takes to create a national emergency?
If Covid 19 were like Ebola in lethal effect, we might have 10X the numbers of deaths. And it would be ongoing chaos in many if not most places on Planet Earth!

Old 12-25-2020, 09:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How many deaths does would you say it takes to create a national emergency?
If Covid 19 were like Ebola in lethal effect, we might have 10X the numbers of deaths. And it would be ongoing chaos in many if not most places on Planet Earth!
Yep we are lucky Covid isn't a serious in some people but there are too many that will have medical issues from it. Look at that college basketball player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies