Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 12:00 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,042,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Im certainly not dismissing the deaths.

However, I'm simply pointing out that, at least as far as this data we have right now (newer data may indicate a younger average), people who died of covid are on average not faring much worse than people who are dying from other causes in terms of the age of their passing.
Perhaps not in the terms of age only. Covid has however surpassed the “just like the flu deaths annually” numbers by leaps and bounds. We have 2500 plus a day dying everyday. I wasn’t pointing you out in particular only the continued comments by people as it’s mostly old people who die about that age anyway sentiment is particularly cold and uncaring for anyone outside their realm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 12:20 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How many deaths does would you say it takes to create a national emergency?
If Covid 19 were like Ebola in lethal effect, we might have 10X the numbers of deaths. And it would be ongoing chaos in many if not most places on Planet Earth!
This is a virus like a Flu with a bit more aggressiveness, but still an extremely low mortality rate among younger, healthier people. This is not Ebola, the Plague, nor Anthrax like the MEDIA and Democrats have brainwashed people into thinking.

If you are old, or at risk then take the necessary precautions but don't force a very negative paradigm shift in society that destroy so many people's lives. This is Soviet Union style crap.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:21 PM

18,829 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Exactly. When you’re 30 you never even consider being 60 it just isn’t in your realm of imagination. Heck at 50 you don’t think you’ll be 70. The mind and desires of life stay the same. Most people between 50 and 75 plus are active. Many still work and contribute. Many people in nursing homes also enjoy their life no matter how small it may be. To dismiss the deaths is callous disregard for humanity outside of yourself. Complete narcissism.
I think more in line with looking for actions and solutions that satisfies ones political ideology. Twisting the ridiculous and obscene into the plausible and useful.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:24 PM

18,829 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:

However, I'm simply pointing out that, at least as far as this data we have right now (newer data may indicate a younger average), people who died of covid are on average not faring much worse than people who are dying from other causes in terms of the age of their passing.
The main bulk of those dying now due to Covid 19 were mostly preventable deaths. The other group is already undergoing usefully directed medical treatment and management, with its attendant prognosis.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:18 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,966,662 times
The stats presented by the OP mean nothing. What is important is the additional deaths caused by covid, not the age of the deaths. Look at it this way. If an additional million people aged 78 were to die of anything, that would be important and their age would be irrelevant. When they calculate the total US death toll percentage (deaths per 100,000 people) in 2020 and compare it to previous years, that will tell the story one way or the other.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:48 PM

726 posts, read 329,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
... This is not... like the MEDIA and Democrats have brainwashed people into thinking.
Not sure what Democrats have to do with it. And the media is basically just reporting on what's going on in the country and around the world. And it ain't pretty! More than a few hospitals are near running out of beds. People can argue about the number of Covid-19 deaths, but there can't be any question that a lot of people have died due to this virus alone. And I don't think the families and friends of all those dead people particularly appreciate anyone playing down the risk and significance of this global pandemic.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:38 PM

462 posts, read 208,147 times
Average age of US people who died of Covid-19: 78, Average Life Expectancy in the US: 78

Please forgive me, I'm not good with statistics.

Does this men that if no one had died from Covid-19, there would be NO CHANGES of the total number of people who died, from all causes?

Old 12-26-2020, 12:27 AM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:

If someone dies at age 78 from COVID, he's not faring much worse than someone who dies from a heart attack at age 78? That's true, I guess, but is it particularly insightful?

Old 12-26-2020, 05:25 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
But instead of passing away peacefully in their sleep now 78-year-olds have to die gasping for air with a pipe stuck down their throat.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:28 AM

24,666 posts, read 9,487,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
But instead of passing away peacefully in their sleep now 78-year-olds have to die gasping for air with a pipe stuck down their throat.
I didn't know 78 year olds only had two ways to die in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies