Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 06:16 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times

Advertisements

Our freedoms are being strangled for a virus that is nowhere near as bad as the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

It does not have to be "as bad as" something else was to still be very bad. Spanish Flu was very - very - very - bad - long before it reached the numbers it ultimately reached. It wasn't simply declared "bad" after the fact by comparing it to other pandemics. Nope. A thing reaches "BAD" - and then everything past "BAD" is frosting. We're in the frosting stage. It's BAD. If it keeps going, it will get even worse - but it will never, ever, be "Not bad."

I don't understand the extremism or poor comparisons. LOOK AROUND. Are there hospitals here - in the USA - that are overwhelmed right now? YES. So - that's as bad as we need. "More" bad is just "more" hospitals overwhelmed. That's it. You don't get to pick the number - it's been picked for you - and that number is ZERO. No hospitals overwhelmed at the local level. As long as one is - or is a likely risk to be - this is BAD. I don't see how you can spin that situation into "tolerable." It is not. Not locally for sure. If your local hospital runs outta ICUs - you're effed, plain and simple, whatever your ailment. So - do you just not believe it's possible? It is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 08:43 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Our freedoms are being strangled for a virus that is nowhere near as bad as the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

It does not have to be "as bad as" something else was to still be very bad. Spanish Flu was very - very - very - bad - long before it reached the numbers it ultimately reached. It wasn't simply declared "bad" after the fact by comparing it to other pandemics. Nope. A thing reaches "BAD" - and then everything past "BAD" is frosting. We're in the frosting stage. It's BAD. If it keeps going, it will get even worse - but it will never, ever, be "Not bad."

I don't understand the extremism or poor comparisons. LOOK AROUND. Are there hospitals here - in the USA - that are overwhelmed right now? YES. So - that's as bad as we need. "More" bad is just "more" hospitals overwhelmed. That's it. You don't get to pick the number - it's been picked for you - and that number is ZERO. No hospitals overwhelmed at the local level. As long as one is - or is a likely risk to be - this is BAD. I don't see how you can spin that situation into "tolerable." It is not. Not locally for sure. If your local hospital runs outta ICUs - you're effed, plain and simple, whatever your ailment. So - do you just not believe it's possible? It is.
Isolation measures were undertaken in cities during the 1918 pandemic as well so this is nothing new.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I dont get the logic of people you were arguing against at all. I know it is a talking point of only older and people who are sick dying but that isn't the truth. Just because you are old or obese don't mean you'd keel over without Covid. However that is the prevailing talking point. Just as young people recover. Yes statistically they do but there are many who are healthy that don't.

I know of the issues of "elective" sugries. I had to wonder that with my mom due to her reconstruction due to cancer. She already was cancer free and it was luckily truly elective, but I know she needed it. I mean the type of cancer she had, you typically need plastic surgery to not look like you were sick or anything.
Thank you. I don't understand their simple minded one size fits all mentality either. Especially when there is so much more information out there about this bug now. Most of this it's noting is troll crap used to diminish the seriousness of this pandemic. Look over there and argue about numbers while thousands of American's die each day from a preventable death. There is no mention of collateral damage, young outliers that die, or the toll a Covid death has taken on a loved one who has lost a family member or perhaps more than one. Looking at the numbers is just another way to erase the humanity behind those numbers. It's an insidious mentality perpetuated by geopolitical adversarial trolls. A sick nation is a weak nation. Each one of those 300,000 American's that have died from Covid had someone who loved them and are grieving. It didn't have be this way.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Thank you. I don't understand their simple minded one size fits all mentality either. Especially when there is so much more information out there about this bug now. Most of this it's noting is troll crap used to diminish the seriousness of this pandemic. Look over there and argue about numbers while thousands of American's die each day from a preventable death. There is no mention of collateral damage, young outliers that die, or the toll a Covid death has taken on a loved one who has lost a family member or perhaps more than one. Looking at the numbers is just another way to erase the humanity behind those numbers. It's an insidious mentality perpetuated by geopolitical adversarial trolls. A sick nation is a weak nation. Each one of those 300,000 American's that have died from Covid had someone who loved them and are grieving. It didn't have be this way.
Exactly. I had a single person die of Covid and I havent seen him in a good 21 years. Still it hurts and my heart goes out to his children and possibly his grandchildren at this age. He was a Cubmaster and Assistant Scout Master for me. Most of my Scout Master conferences for rank from Tenderfoot to I think Star were with him as my father became Scout Master a month after I bridged over. I had a few friends and a co-worker get it.

That said my fear is my parents getting it since both are diabetic, one is a cancer survivor and one has autoimmune issues and Valley Fever. Both are at high risk and not 75+. People who go with stats don't care about these real people with real stories at all. There is a time and a place to be Vulcan. A pandemic isn't one.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:27 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
I just want to know...

Has anyone asked the OP how OLD he is???

Old 12-28-2020, 07:28 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Source for 1st statement: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm
Source for 2nd statement: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm

I feel this is something we do have to keep in mind.

While it is sad that we are now above 320k deaths, in many cases these people's time was just about up anyway.
It's as if you think people age 78 have an average life expectancy of zero. Actually it's about 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies