Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 09:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Or how bad it would be if there were no restrictions?

Honestly restrictions only work if the people abide by them.

Unless we could do a statistical analysis that would give an accurate picture of adhering to the restrictions -- we will never know.

We do somewhat. Someone (Google? I have it bookmarked somewhere) show phone movements. You can see a huge difference in movement from when we had the lock down on now. It was almost back to normal for awhile.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 09:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Choice
Interesting: with that logic, I guess you must not have any issues with drunk drivers. After all, why should drunk drivers be stripped of their choice to drink and drive. And hey, if people are afraid of being hit by a drunk drivers then they can stay home or take public transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The government has no moral or logical right to tell you what to wear on private property.
Sure it does. If I am in my private residence but I am butt naked with my window blinds open so the public can see my birthday suit, you bet your rear the cops are coming to do something.

But hey, if you think people should be allowed to be able to do the above without getting into trouble then I applaud you for at least being logically consistent.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:15 AM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Buckle up.

Biden is planning a 100 day mask wearing shutdown in a little more than 2 weeks.......

he's following the California plan for Covid...we see how that's working out...

Old 01-02-2021, 10:21 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Buckle up.

Biden is planning a 100 day mask wearing shutdown in a little more than 2 weeks.......

I'll ask you provide a credible source on this.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:50 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Sometime after Jan 21st, 2021 --- you will have your source.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:40 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. At one point it was "two weeks". Then, "a few more weeks". Then, "a few short months". Now it's 9 months. Is anyone so credulous and guileless as to expect for this to be over in a mere cumulative 12 months? OK then, we'll be up to "a few short years".

Let's look up Richard Dedekind's definition of infinity.

At least the boys who came home in 1918 came home with honor. They were respected and rewarded by the society that they served, and rightly so. They did a job, they did it well, and they moved on. Their counterparts today, whose colleges are closed, whose jobs have been lost and whose lives have been upended, get no such plaudits, no such benefits and no such honor. They're not fighters; they're not given the chance to fight. Instead they are hostages.

We have no reckoning of what is "this close". Consider the rate of vaccine distribution. At this rate, it will be several more years, at a minimum.

This is precisely why it is better to die, than to be inconvenienced.
You're right; I have no idea of when the virus may actually let up. All I can do is hope it will be sooner than later.

Things in general were much different in 1918, but you're right about today's young adults. The virus has stolen many things from them, especially time, and they weren't ever given any chances to do anything much.
I'm an old guy, so I have accomplishments I can look back on. I do feel very sorry for the kids today because they have been forced to hit the pause button on their lives. Hopefully, once the virus lifts there may be a possibility of fresh new horizons opening that once didn't exist.

I'm not feeling inconvenienced so much as robbed, a lot like the kids were robbed. My own time is as precious to me as theirs is to them, and while their time window may be opening when the virus finally begins to lift, my time window will be closing due to my age.

It's a little more that mere inconvenience to me when I think of the possibility I'll have to quit my road trips due to my advancing age. They are something I've done rarely, but have anticipated for very long periods of time before hand, and once they were over, I've always enjoyed looking back on them as memories.
If I can't drive them any longer when it's safe, so be it, I guess, but I know I'll miss that pleasure a lot. I've always loved to drive, and the scenic routes have always been the best drives for me.

I'm still good to go, but I don't know for how long. Not for years ahead, for sure, but maybe I'm good for another year of waiting Covid out. I will if I must, and it won't be impatient for me.
The grave is plenty patient, and it always awaits. I'm quite happy to keep it waiting as long as possible.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Oh he's been saying this for a long time...IF he is president...Jerome Coursey on Coast to Coast last night still believes Trump will be president....ummmmm

Old 01-02-2021, 12:44 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Buckle up.

California has never locked down. There have been lots of parties, large crowds, etc. And there will continue to be until individuals take personal responsibility. Covid is going to be living among us for a long time to come because it continues to have a seat at the table.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:45 PM

4,940 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Sometime after Jan 21st, 2021 --- you will have your source.
I've only read 100 days of pushing masks when Biden takes over, and am thankful I do not suffer from hearing disorders:

"When I’m somewhere noisy, and a person speaking to me is wearing a mask, my speech comprehension is abysmal. I can understand about 20 percent of what is being said, which is functionally useless. Early in the pandemic, at the end of a stressful two-hour grocery trip, the cashier was trying to explain that she couldn’t use my reusable bags. She seemed frustrated when I couldn’t answer simple questions. She was clearly stressed and needed to call in a second cashier before I understood what the problem was."
https://slate.com/human-interest/202...ronavirus.html

Old 01-02-2021, 01:01 PM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
California has never locked down. There have been lots of parties, large crowds, etc. And there will continue to be until individuals take personal responsibility. Covid is going to be living among us for a long time to come because it continues to have a seat at the table.

All you can do is advise people, you can't make them comply. You can't lock them up, that cost money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies