Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 01:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,608,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Sometime after Jan 21st, 2021 --- you will have your source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I've only read 100 days of pushing masks when Biden takes over, and am thankful I do not suffer from hearing disorders:

"When I’m somewhere noisy, and a person speaking to me is wearing a mask, my speech comprehension is abysmal. I can understand about 20 percent of what is being said, which is functionally useless. Early in the pandemic, at the end of a stressful two-hour grocery trip, the cashier was trying to explain that she couldn’t use my reusable bags. She seemed frustrated when I couldn’t answer simple questions. She was clearly stressed and needed to call in a second cashier before I understood what the problem was."
https://slate.com/human-interest/202...ronavirus.html
I have often found what people say they will do and what they actually do --- are two totally separate things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 01:56 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where is "choice" guaranteed in the Constitution?
It's not explicit. Which is a shame, and yet another reason for why we're overdue for a new Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
But we are not stupid either.
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
...Why are deaths per million less in all those other countries?
Because values are different. Some countries are more collectivist, and others, more libertarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
If I am in my private residence but I am butt naked with my window blinds open so the public can see my birthday suit, you bet your rear the cops are coming to do something.
If you don't find such action on the part of the cops, to be a ghastly and execrable abuse of power, then no wonder we disagree on the whole topic of shutdowns.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:46 PM

8,260 posts, read 3,510,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I hear you. I totally get it. Our friends are struggling. That's why they get our stimulus check again. They also understand that they don't want their only child in school right now and that means mom stays home and home schools. Fortunately, they still have one unemployment check coming in and a little savings. They are still in poverty status. In this country, we feed the hungry and there is still a moratorium on evictions.

There are people in America living like this every day, pandemic or no pandemic.

The faster we get this bug under control, the faster life gets back to normal. This is a time when we have to come together and help one another. Seeing the Covidiots out there spreading this bug through their selfishness makes me incredibly angry. This never should have happened here. Lets all do the right thing and work together. Have extra money? Donate to the food pantries. See someone who needs help? Help them. We CAN get through this with cooperation.
If it was horrible as they say then the government wouldn't be demanding that people with suppressed immune systems go out to get a job for 20 hours/week in order to have food stamps. The doctors wouldn't be refusing to fill out waiver forms to excuse them from the work requirement. They obviously know it's not so bad.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If you don't find such action on the part of the cops, to be a ghastly and execrable abuse of power, then no wonder we disagree on the whole topic of shutdowns.
Would you say that if the naked dude was visible from your child's bedroom window?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I no longer belive this. No matter what we do, no matter how tough the restrictions are, no matter how many wear masks, it goes on and on and on. We can get back to normal when we decide to get back to normal.
I understand you. I really do. I look at this through a clinical eye having had to deal with super bugs through out my 25 year career as a Respiratory Therapist. My last job was in an LTACH. It was dirty place. Almost all of our rehab patients came in with some form of isolation from the various hospitals. Did those infections spread in our hospital? Yes, it's virtually impossible for them not too. Why? Human error is a huge factor. Do health care workers get infected? Absolutely. It's hard to fight something you can't see.

Lets look at the flip side. Did we prevent more infections than we spread? Yes we did. A certain amount of infection spread is not ideal, but inevitable as well.

What do you think would happen if we all went from room to room without washing our hands and wearing the PPE? Obviously, those infections would spread like wild fire among staff and patients.

So yes, I understand where you're coming from. There are too many people wearing the wrong masks, or wearing masks with their noses hanging out, or letting their guard down and allowing friends and family into their homes for the holidays who may be asymptomatic carriers.

Those of us who wear the right mask, follow sterile technique, do not let guards down have a much lower infection rate.

So what do you think is better? Try to convince more people to do the right thing, or just say the heck with it, it's not working?

I would suggest you read about Italy and what happened with their nonchalant go out and live your life mentality and what impact that had on the virus. We all saw what happened there. Then research a stellar response like Taiwan's with their less than a thousand cases and a handful of deaths. They never shut down their economy. It's obvious what the right thing to do vs what the wrong thing to do is.

Go back and read about the 1918 pandemic and the multiple waves that came over two years, and compare it to our response to Covid today. It's sad, it makes me angry, but you can't deny that what we are doing now is virtually unchanged from the pandemic of over 100 years ago. Why aren't we more like Taiwan?

I can't tell you what to do, nor convince the kool-aid drinking hard heads that table pound about my selfish freedom and could give a rats behind about anybody else. I think of them as those inevitable infection spreaders in a larger clinical setting. I can tell you that we have not had so much as a cold since last February since we've been wearing our N95's in public, and have practiced good sterile technique. Here in our village the infection rate is dropping, because I see everyone going into our local grocery store with masks on. Yes, many are wearing the wrong ones, and some have their noses hanging out. I see the Covidiot bar flies defying the lock down orders. They are inevitable. But here? The vast majority are getting it right and our infection rate reflects that.

I look at Luke Letlow who did not follow Covid protocols, got infected, and died before he was sworn into Congress. It's always the other guy until it isn't. Why roll the dice to begin with. I'm sure his wife and kids wish he hadn't.

In the end we all have to make a choice on whether we want to roll that dice. But businesses also the right to refuse service to those reckless enough not to take this seriously.

These are hard times, no one s disputing that, but we all have the power to stop this nightmare by doing the right thing. Which is what we should have done on day one, like Taiwan.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We know when our business fail and we loose everything. We know when we haven't seen family or friends in nearly a year. And anyone who understands economics and history even a little knows what's coming next if we don't get off this path we're on. Then try to say Americans don't know about hardship.
Noticed yesterday, a newish high end tile shop in town had closed and the space is for lease.

None of the Covid restrictions closed this shop nor prevented professional tile installations.

This business joins the 20+% of all new businesses that fail in their first two years not to be confused with a 5 year, 45% failure rate.

These failures almost always have most to do with the owner’s lack of experience and lousy decisions.

Some who own failed businesses learn from the experience while others get stuck in the blame game.

Restaurants tend to fail more often than other businesses. Inconsistent restrictions imposed in most states have likely impacted restaurants more so than most other

In my neck of the woods, most independent restaurants are ignoring the closure orders.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:49 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,787,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I understand you. I really do. I look at this through a clinical eye having had to deal with super bugs through out my 25 year career as a Respiratory Therapist. My last job was in an LTACH. It was dirty place. Almost all of our rehab patients came in with some form of isolation from the various hospitals. Did those infections spread in our hospital? Yes, it's virtually impossible for them not too. Why? Human error is a huge factor. Do health care workers get infected? Absolutely. It's hard to fight something you can't see.

Lets look at the flip side. Did we prevent more infections than we spread? Yes we did. A certain amount of infection spread is not ideal, but inevitable as well.

What do you think would happen if we all went from room to room without washing our hands and wearing the PPE? Obviously, those infections would spread like wild fire among staff and patients.

So yes, I understand where you're coming from. There are too many people wearing the wrong masks, or wearing masks with their noses hanging out, or letting their guard down and allowing friends and family into their homes for the holidays who may be asymptomatic carriers.

Those of us who wear the right mask, follow sterile technique, do not let guards down have a much lower infection rate.

So what do you think is better? Try to convince more people to do the right thing, or just say the heck with it, it's not working?

I would suggest you read about Italy and what happened with their nonchalant go out and live your life mentality and what impact that had on the virus. We all saw what happened there. Then research a stellar response like Taiwan's with their less than a thousand cases and a handful of deaths. They never shut down their economy. It's obvious what the right thing to do vs what the wrong thing to do is.

Go back and read about the 1918 pandemic and the multiple waves that came over two years, and compare it to our response to Covid today. It's sad, it makes me angry, but you can't deny that what we are doing now is virtually unchanged from the pandemic of over 100 years ago. Why aren't we more like Taiwan?

I can't tell you what to do, nor convince the kool-aid drinking hard heads that table pound about my selfish freedom and could give a rats behind about anybody else. I think of them as those inevitable infection spreaders in a larger clinical setting. I can tell you that we have not had so much as a cold since last February since we've been wearing our N95's in public, and have practiced good sterile technique. Here in our village the infection rate is dropping, because I see everyone going into our local grocery store with masks on. Yes, many are wearing the wrong ones, and some have their noses hanging out. I see the Covidiot bar flies defying the lock down orders. They are inevitable. But here? The vast majority are getting it right and our infection rate reflects that.

I look at Luke Letlow who did not follow Covid protocols, got infected, and died before he was sworn into Congress. It's always the other guy until it isn't. Why roll the dice to begin with. I'm sure his wife and kids wish he hadn't.

In the end we all have to make a choice on whether we want to roll that dice. But businesses also the right to refuse service to those reckless enough not to take this seriously.

These are hard times, no one s disputing that, but we all have the power to stop this nightmare by doing the right thing. Which is what we should have done on day one, like Taiwan.
I am not around a bunch of sick and infected people, and I'm 82, and to date have Never worn a mask, and do the necessary distancing, don't kiss and hug people who come to my house, and don't wash my hands any more than I did before covid....

To close the world down, no way, MORE are healthy in all this than not.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:51 AM

52,309 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Noticed yesterday, a newish high end tile shop in town had closed and the space is for lease.

None of the Covid restrictions closed this shop nor prevented professional tile installations.

This business joins the 20+% of all new businesses that fail in their first two years not to be confused with a 5 year, 45% failure rate.

These failures almost always have most to do with the owner’s lack of experience and lousy decisions.

Some who own failed businesses learn from the experience while others get stuck in the blame game.

Restaurants tend to fail more often than other businesses. Inconsistent restrictions imposed in most states have likely impacted restaurants more so than most other

In my neck of the woods, most independent restaurants are ignoring the closure orders.
You are completely delusional if you don't think that COVID wasn't a factor at all. It may not have, but to rule it out completely is silly. You have no idea just like I don't really, if we're being honest here. It most certainly may have been a factor but unless we speak to the tile business owner were armchair quarterbacking this thing.

Too many people on CD run their mouths off about things that they have no clue of.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:57 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,603,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are completely delusional if you don't think that COVID wasn't a factor at all. It may not have, but to rule it out completely is silly. You have no idea just like I don't really, if we're being honest here. It most certainly may have been a factor but unless we speak to the tile business owner were armchair quarterbacking this thing.

Too many people on CD run their mouths off about things that they have no clue of.
A tile shop closed. In a period of increased home renovations. Covid was not the issue.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:03 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
A tile shop closed. In a period of increased home renovations. Covid was not the issue.
Do you personally know the owner, have you had a conversation with them? Unless you did you are in the running their mouth off without facts crowd I was talking about.

Plain and simple. I have enough humility to say I don't know why the business went south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies