Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 09:34 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,834,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes. Because regardless of the numbers, it's a cost-benefit tradeoff.
I agree.

We’re also seeing the virus surge in CA where they had some of he heaviest restrictions so also questioning if these restrictions even work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 09:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,904,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree.

We’re also seeing the virus surge in CA where they had some of he heaviest restrictions so also questioning if these restrictions even work.
If people followed them, of course they work! One contracts viruses from other hosts (people or animals). Simple concept for anyone who has had a biology course.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If people followed them, of course they work! One contracts viruses from other hosts (people or animals). Simple concept for anyone who has had a biology course.

You have to account for human error when imposing restrictions. Of course you won’t get 100% compliance from people. That’s intro to human behavior, 101. Easy to understand. All you are doing is funneling people who would be eating in restaurants into private homes. What is the point?

Old 01-09-2021, 10:08 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,017,207 times
I feel it now and felt it at different times. I noticed it with especially the holidays. The holidays didn't feel right. I mean most things were the same, but it just felt weird. I can't describe it. I think some of it is also how much I am sacrificing. People don't realize the sacrifice that comes with following the science or working in a workplace that isn't.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I feel it now and felt it at different times. I noticed it with especially the holidays. The holidays didn't feel right. I mean most things were the same, but it just felt weird. I can't describe it. I think some of it is also how much I am sacrificing. People don't realize the sacrifice that comes with following the science or working in a workplace that isn't.

Most people are giving up a lot. Most people are feeling the effects. A lot of people are feeling the impact of the isolation.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,772,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree.

They only work where the government has total power, like China. People need to accept that the virus will spread until enough folks are vaccinated.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
They only work where the government has total power, like China. People need to accept that the virus will spread until enough folks are vaccinated.

I agree that we need to accept that we have a respiratory virus and the people who are high risk should consider taking measures to protect themselves.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,813,716 times
Everyone is making some sacrifices. What I see increasingly, is resentment among many in the contingent that self-identifies has having made more sacrifices than others.

The rationale is straightforward, even compelling. Hey, if I sacrificed a lot, while you sacrificed little, then aren't you a free-loader? It's the same bilious frustration as with the so-called 47%, who don't pay federal income taxes. How is it, that some pay, while others don't? How is it, that some have radically curtailed their lives, while others have made only the most perfunctory changes? It feels downright... wrong. Those in the sacrifice-camp, bewail our lack of progress, and feel anger. They desire to outright punish the free-loaders, the shiftless ones. Right?

Old 01-09-2021, 07:44 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,940,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Europe did, and they surged again.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,226,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no "lock down" in the US today. No one is locked in, and compliance is voluntary.

They were told what to do in 1918, including using masks, and there could be fines if they did not comply.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/ameri...hnk/index.html

Quarantine:

https://www.influenzaarchive.org/cit...portland.html#

"The City Council passed the resolution, placing influenza on the list of quarantineable infectious diseases. Portland police and the county guards were called on to help the health department’s twenty officers enforce the quarantine, although private physicians were warned that they did not have the authority to forbid patients to leave their homes. The next day, health inspectors and police officers were busy placing the white and red placards on the homes of the ill. The penalty for violating quarantine – either leaving or entering a placarded home – was a fine of $5 to $300 and five to ninety days in prison. Instantly many cases of influenza turned into the common cold as people tried to avoid the quarantine. One woman, surprised to wake up to find her home under quarantine, called the health department in anger to ask why a placard had been tacked to her front door. She was told that her family physician had reported her son as having influenza. “Well, I’ll certainly call him up and roast him,” she angrily replied, “as my boy only has a slight cold and he got up this morning and went to school.” A man who found himself placed under home quarantine called the health department and claimed that he was not only strong enough to go to work, but 'plenty strong enough to come up to the health office and "clean" the health officer.'

One expected side effect of the quarantine was a drop-off in the number of cases of influenza reported by unscrupulous physicians. It was widely believed that many city doctors were over-diagnosing influenza in the hopes of making a few extra dollars from patients. Officials hoped that this practice would end with the use of quarantine, and that the new case tallies would show a sudden decrease. Alas, these results did not materialize in the days immediately after the quarantine order went into effect. Some physicians did attempt to change their former reports of cases in order, but only to relieve their patients of the onerous burden of quarantine. The health department announced that it would be happy to assist physicians who had made honest mistakes, but that it would give no consideration to those trying to help get their patients out of quarantine. Evidently the health inspectors thought the latter was more common, as the health department roundly ignored all requests made by physicians. Portland’s quarantine, like any other throughout history, was far from perfect."

There are a large number of people who are conforming to what they hear on the teevee. And, of course, we know what that is. They think what Wolf Blitzer says is the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies