Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 09:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,229,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Is your argument that "public health experts" (i.e. researchers from the University of Washington) considered "the media"?

To make the argument that the mainstream media has promoted this would imply that they are issuing opinion pieces on the matter. The article literally documents who is making the claim. Further the argument the OAN sheeple made was that the mainstream media scares people into staying home. Which is it?

It's called journalism and (shocker alert) generally includes posting multiple sides of the story.

The anti-science whackos need to pull their head out of their backside and start using their brain. Researchers, NOT THE MEDIA, made the claim.

Do you ever get tired of blaming everyone else for your own problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Chistmas was widely celebrated, as always, in my liberal lefty community, much to the shock and horror of Hannity and Ingraham fans, I'm sure.

There was even a socially distanced Nativity Play on the Episcopal church green, right at the main intersection of the village. Was anyone offended? Mainly, but people around here know enough to mind their own business.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:40 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Is your argument that "public health experts" (i.e. researchers from the University of Washington) considered "the media"?

To make the argument that the mainstream media has promoted this would imply that they are issuing opinion pieces on the matter. The article literally documents who is making the claim. Further the argument the OAN sheeple made was that the mainstream media scares people into staying home. Which is it?

It's called journalism and (shocker alert) generally includes posting multiple sides of the story.

The anti-science whackos need to pull their head out of their backside and start using their brain. Researchers, NOT THE MEDIA, made the claim.

What problems am I blaming on someone else?

My stance is that if it was okay to protest, it’s okay to go Christmas caroling. If it’s okay to protest, it’s okay to dine outdoors. If it’s okay to loot, it’s okay to walk on a treadmill.

But mostly, my big beef is that if it were alright for 1000’s of strangers to attend one of three funerals for George Floyd, it sure as &$&# should have been alright for me to attend the funeral, or at least outdoor burial, of my brother who died from Covid held in the same *&$# city. I was done with any arguments for lockdowns after that. I don’t think I was alone.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:58 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:

I don't get that implication at all. Media bias isn't what they label as "opinion" on the editorial page. It's in what they publish and don't publish on the front page and in how they word those articles they do publish. I've had my own words twisted and cherrypicked and quoted out of context to create a complete different story -- a work of fiction -- out of what I actually said. And that was in the pre COVID and pre Trump days. It's even worse now. The concept of "journalism" has been a lie for years now.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,229,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What problems am I blaming on someone else?

My stance is that if it was okay to protest, it’s okay to go Christmas caroling. If it’s okay to protest, it’s okay to dine outdoors. If it’s okay to loot, it’s okay to walk on a treadmill.

But mostly, my big beef is that if it were alright for 1000’s of strangers to attend one of three funerals for George Floyd, it sure as &$&# should have been alright for me to attend the funeral, or at least outdoor burial, of my brother who died from Covid held in the same *&$# city. I was done with any arguments for lockdowns after that. I don’t think I was alone.
"What problems am I blaming on someone else?" Then goes on to list problems. Presumably you're saying it's the media's fault, or the Liberals fault, or the doctors' fault, or the scientists' fault. Did I cover them all?

There was a lot of uncertainty when the virus exploded. I have no idea when your brother died and was buried but I'm assuming it was in the early stages of the pandemic. I'm also assuming that had there been proper planning you could have been there.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,368,103 times
Quote:
Could you point me to even just one single article that says "riots and protests aren't a risk for spreading covid?" I've never seen that verbiage anywhere.
You can't be serious...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/healt...rnd/index.html

Old 12-29-2020, 10:14 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Could you point me to even just one single article that says "riots and protests aren't a risk for spreading covid?" I've never seen that verbiage anywhere.
Experts say....

"There is no evidence yet that the wave of Black Lives Matter protests across the U.S. sparked COVID-19 outbreaks in the more than three weeks since they began, according to a study published Monday by the National Bureau of Economic Research."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...pikes-n1232045

Oddly enough, there was a snapshot in time, in Michigan, when the Covid "hotspot" map correlated with where the majority of the protesting was happening. Most were college towns. Must have been fake news, though.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,368,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Here we go. The supposed "War on Christmas" again. Yes, the war on the holiday that essentially lasts a month.
Considering that the "experts" are telling people not to congregate with loved ones in order to stop the spread of COVID19, it has given the elites the perfect cover to do so.

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...ll-family.html

Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,580,549 times
Christmas? Don’t we have another year before we have to worry about that again?

Old 12-29-2020, 10:31 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
"What problems am I blaming on someone else?" Then goes on to list problems. Presumably you're saying it's the media's fault, or the Liberals fault, or the doctors' fault, or the scientists' fault. Did I cover them all?
If you mean not attending my brother’s funeral, that would be the idiot governor of his state. See below.

Quote:
There was a lot of uncertainty when the virus exploded. I have no idea when your brother died and was buried but I'm assuming it was in the early stages of the pandemic. I'm also assuming that had there been proper planning you could have been there.
No, you are 100% assuming wrong. Funerals were restricted to only spouses, children, parents, but no more than 6 people total, at the time. Two of his children couldn’t attend and none of their spouses. Siblings were not on the allowed list unless there was no living spouse, parent, or child, and then only one was allowed. This was the week before George Floyd’s first funeral, by the way.

The thing is there were states that were still restricted to only one person in attendance at the time they were having those 1000+ George Floyd funerals. This was a problem that was indeed someone else’s fault. As of today, funerals in my state are limited to 25 people, regardless of relation, which isn’t so bad considering there are at least a few states with 10 attendee limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies