Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 07:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ahh -- the key words are what 'you are seeing' -- you are seeing what you want based on your preconceived notions.

Per capita California ranks 33rd in the USA for the virus.

Of course the most populous states/cities have the absolute most cases...

And of the top three for new cases -- using absolute numbers NOT per capita. After California, Texas and Florida are number 2 and 3 for new cases. They most definitely don't have the lock down rules and yet they are in the top 3 -- so your assertions are also baseless.

In fact --- of the top 5 who added new cases yesterday 3 of them are red states with lax lockdown measures.

When I see a state with heavy restrictions ranked next to a state with lax restrictions, it makes me think that the restrictions don’t do as much as we hope they do and makes me wonder if they are worth it at all considering the unintended negative consequences that happen with restrictions

The eviction moratorium where I live ends today. Happy New Year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:04 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Suzy, I’m not going to quote your post that I’m responding to since I’d have to delete all of the replies to the many people you responded to in one single post but there is ample evidence prior to covid that masks did not work in terms of suppressing influenza. Lots of studies.
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/maskin...with-politics/
I don't think your article says what you think it does. It mainly catalogues the problems with mask studies.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I don't think your article says what you think it does. It mainly catalogues the problems with mask studies.
Can you share a study showing cloth masks stop influenza?

Old 01-01-2021, 08:13 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are normal flu outbreaks being labeled as Covid?

Influenza outbreaks are down 98% worldwide and yet Covid rages on?

https://stephenlendman.org/2020/12/t...appearing-act/

CDC stats of Influenza for 2020 - all states are rated as minimal by the CDC for influenza outbreaks this year (except for Michigan, which had insufficient data - something the state congress has ripped Whitmer over as the state data didn't measure if the deaths were from nursing homes for the longest time).

Per the CDC's own stats the solid majority of the states were in the high to very high category at this same moment last year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#ILIActivityMap

The WHO has said that influenza has largely disappeared from wearing masks and social distancing. If normal seasonal influenza cases aren't being miscounted as Covid, I suppose Covid is just that much more transmittable.

If that is the case then why is covid supposedly surging? I think having a vaccination going into the flu season played a big rule in keeping the flu to a minimum.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are normal flu outbreaks being labeled as Covid?

Influenza outbreaks are down 98% worldwide and yet Covid rages on?

https://stephenlendman.org/2020/12/t...appearing-act/

CDC stats of Influenza for 2020 - all states are rated as minimal by the CDC for influenza outbreaks this year (except for Michigan, which had insufficient data - something the state congress has ripped Whitmer over as the state data didn't measure if the deaths were from nursing homes for the longest time).

Per the CDC's own stats the solid majority of the states were in the high to very high category at this same moment last year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#ILIActivityMap

The WHO has said that influenza has largely disappeared from wearing masks and social distancing. If normal seasonal influenza cases aren't being miscounted as Covid, I suppose Covid is just that much more transmittable.

One would expect that.

The measures to reduce the transmission of Covid will also reduce the transmission of the flu.

I guess it shows that public health measures are effective and they should continue until everyone is vaccinated.

I got my second dose of the vaccine and have not turned into a "I Am Legend" monster, so I think it is safe. I was one of the first, as I am immunosuppressed from cancer treatment and do deal with Covid patients as well. I must say that it is a relief to finally get vaccinated, but will still take all the previous precautions.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
If that is the case then why is covid supposedly surging? I think having a vaccination going into the flu season played a big rule in keeping the flu to a minimum.
We’ve had the flu vaccine for a long time and have always had way more cases of flu then we have this year.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:22 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Can you share a study showing cloth masks stop influenza?
There was a gigantic natural experiment last summer showing that the combined COVID-19 mitigation measures of mask (all kinds) + social distancing + hand hygiene are associated with a greatly reduced incidence of influenza. The Southern Hemisphere had virtually no flu. The tail end of the North American 2019-2020 season was also truncated.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-hemisphere1/

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-01-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 08:23 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
We’ve had the flu vaccine for a long time and have always had way more cases of flu then we have this year.
But most other years you did not have much of the global population keeping their distance from other people despite their showing no signs of illness and wearing protective gear along with the vaccines which differed in yearly protection. We just avoided those with obvious symptoms with a few societies wearing mask.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:28 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Worldwide seasonal influenza is down 98%

Gee who would have thought that wearing masks, socially distancing and washing hands, etc.
would also lead to less colds and flu's?

It kinda figures though, doesn't it?

Old 01-01-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There was a gigantic natural experiment last summer showing that the combined COVID-19 mitigation measures of mask (all kinds) + social distancing + hand hygiene are associated with a greatly reduced incidence of influenza. The Southern Hemisphere had virtually no flu. The tail end of the North American 2019-2020 season was also truncated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...%20vitamin%20D.
This is a study about vitamin d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies