Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 10:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times

Advertisements

I was out the other day, and without much thinking ran into Wal-Mart in the middle of the afternoon and holy-#$#% it was a nuthouse. I forgot it was a holiday week and a lot of people out of work and out of school.

We usually go to Wal-Mart about once a month and only buy non-perishable stuff like cereal, flour, canned good, shampoo, etc. I uusually support small business for as much as possible except for some grocery type stuff.

We usually go to Wal-Mart late-afternoon or early evening on weekdays but ran in because we were out.

The amount of people there was insane. Tons without masks, or just wearing on their chins. Lots of zombie like people who were just hanging out, not sure if they were actually shopping or just went there because they were bored.

It was a total joke of all this mask wearing, social distancing stuff.
Sure close down all the small businesses and restaurants, but apparently Wal-Mart is a a free-for-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
With every small store closed and all other chain stores like Home Depot or Trader Joe's counting entries to maintain mandated 50% occupancy limits, why is every Walmart I've been to overflowing at twice pre-pandemic capacity? I've never seen such lax protocol anywhere else. it's like they are getting a pass. I for one avoid Wally like the plague.
They probably have better lobbyists than the family that owns the shoe repair store down at the shopping center near my neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:12 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc... What do all of them have in common? Big pockets for political "contributions".
Yep. It's not just possible, but probable that in many states, Covid is being used as a weapon to destroy small businesses and enrich larger corporations-the ones with the money to buy politicians. Even more-by destroying small businesses, the property ends up on the market at depressed rates and available for those with deep pockets.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:18 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Because Americans are stupid enough to let it happen. In fact they vote officials in who they know will impose such measures. They did it again in 2020. And I guess they will be bellyaching again in a few months about what THEY THEMSELVES voted for.
When did Trump attack the corporate fatcats? When did Trump attack the corporate stocks?
He never did. He bailed them out with corporate welfare.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Because Americans are stupid enough to let it happen. In fact they vote officials in who they know will impose such measures. They did it again in 2020. And I guess they will be bellyaching again in a few months about what THEY THEMSELVES voted for.
All officials impose measures that violate natural rights.

The only winning move is not to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The pay those idiots off that we vote in every 2-4 years. Thats why. Bribery is legal in America for some reason. "The Golden Rule". He with the gold makes the rules.

the citizens can stop it, but they refuse too. Oh well. Can't fix stupid. Let the sheep continue to be blonde.

Hope everyone considers never to open a small business again in this country if this is how we are going to continue to cast votes. You're only asking for bankruptcy
It's scary to imagine how much hellishly worse things will have to get in this country before voters will finally decide it's a bad and stupid idea to once again sent their incumbents back to congress for another term.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
When did Trump attack the corporate fatcats? When did Trump attack the corporate stocks?
He never did. He bailed them out with corporate welfare.
Shhhh

It's only corporate welfare when a Democrat throws around helicopter money.

When a Republican (or even when pretending to be one like Trump) does it then it's "completely necessary".

Old 01-01-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's scary to imagine how much hellishly worse things will have to get in this country before voters will finally decide it's a bad and stupid idea to once again sent their incumbents back to congress for another term.
Nothing will change because everyone loves their Big Corporate stocks and there has been no effort to stop Corporate Lobbyists.
Trump said he would go after these lobbyists but turned out to be their biggest friend.

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/1/1572399...ethics-waivers

Trump has granted more lobbyist waivers in 4 months than Obama did in 8 years

the campaign trail, Donald Trump presented himself as the ultimate outsider who would rid Washington of special interest corruption and “drain the swamp.” And immediately after taking office, he signed a flashy executive order tightening restrictions on lobbyists’ work in the executive branch.

But he immediately began to staff the administration with people whose work seemed, on its face, to clearly violate the terms of the order. Rather than publicly grant waivers of ethics rules with a clearly stated rationale, the White House was simply routinely waiving ethics rules in secret so nobody knew how many waivers were issued or for what purpose.

After extensive back and forth with congressional Democrats and the Office of Government Ethics, Trump has finally provided documentation, and it shows that the ethics rules are plainly meaningless. He’s granted five times as many waivers in his first four months in office as Obama did, which cover key figures in the administration like Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, chief strategist Steve Bannon, and counselor Kellyanne Conway. All told, 17 waivers were granted to members of the White House staff, and we still have no idea how many waivers have been granted for other executive branch agencies or whether anyone is even keeping track.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Shhhh

It's only corporate welfare when a Democrat throws around helicopter money.

When a Republican (or even when pretending to be one like Trump) does it then it's "completely necessary".
Yea, when I look at Biden, I might as well be looking at Trumps Twin Brother.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Yea, when I look at Biden, I might as well be looking at Trumps Twin Brother.
The "modern presidency" kind of began with Baby Bush.

So Dubya had two terms. Obama was Dubya's 3rd and 4th term. Trump was Dubya's 5th term (or Obama's 3rd term) and Biden will be Trump's 2nd term (or Obama's 4th term or Dubya's 6th term).

It's pretty complex until you realize you are simply voting in another corporate goon who only tweaks the wording on how he's not going to bleed you dry while he bleeds you dry.

It's a fun game that we all like to play.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies