Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, but the members would give the OP the "Oh, you poor thing ... " response that he's looking for.
Doubtful. They would tell that individual to sack up and take control of his own life. Don't like the way things are, make a change, no one will do it for you. Basically the same thing we are all saying. Successful people don't like whiners...

Old 01-06-2021, 06:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
I am 33. I make 130K a year. I live in a modest apartment plagued with crime and violence. Work from home is not an option and I work with hundreds of people every day. Company isnt doing well so my job is under constant threat.

Right now, I would feel almost relieved and happy if I lost my job. I have numerous co-workers getting paid by the government their full six figure salary to sit at home and not work. Other co-workers are married and still employed and are getting the first and second stimulus checks that I pay for with my taxes and I never got to receive because the government thinks lowly apartment dweller me is too rich.

Now, the Democrats are going to control the govt. I paid off nearly 30K in student loans. I guess my hard work and sacrificing to save money wasn't fair to everyone else so the Democrats are now going to make me pay for everyone else's student loan debt.

I nor my family took part in Jim Crow nor slavery. None of my ancestors were even here before the civil war. Yet Democrats will likely make me pay extra to fund reparations going to people I never did anything to and who never were slaves themselves. Seems like I am getting screwed again by Democrats here.

How is it fair that I keep getting screwed over by the Democrats? I want to lose my job because people who don't have a job get a better deal than those of us who do.
If you don't like where you live, move. With a salary of $130k, it sounds like you are a highly skilled worker, having paid student loans, and can find employment, or another aparetment/home elsewhere.

Why are you concerned with what other people have or don't have? You are making $130k. You still have a job. Count your blessings, not what other people have.

You gripe about paying your fellow man's student debt, but not about paying mutlibillion dollar companies to pay themselves millions in bonuses and stock buybacks. Look at all the industries that get subsidies and bailouts year after year. Or how your taxes subsidize tax cuts for those making 10 times what you make?

Your family didn't participate in Jim Crow, etc. etc. Good for you. If that makes you feel better. Were your ancestors abolitionists? Activists? Did they march? Or were they just complicit because they enjoyed the benefits of just being white? Regardless of what your ancestors did or didn't do, you benefited form someone else's blood, sweat, tears, and death. They were not compensated, neither were their children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren. You complain about giving up a few tax dollars when other people have nothing to give up because of systemic and institutional racism and discrimination. Trust me. You will be okay. You will get through this. Others have had to endure far more. Some are still enduring.

Trust me, people with no job are not better off. You sound very detached from knowledge of your low income fellow citizens who are in poverty. I was one of them. I'll never forget where I came from. I am willing to pay whatever is necessary for those who have less than me to climb out of poverty. And trust me, climbing out of poverty, even with assistance, is not easy. It is hard work. So, let's not minimize what people have to overcome to climb out of poverty.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:40 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I am 33. I make 130K a year. I live in a modest apartment plagued with crime and violence. Work from home is not an option and I work with hundreds of people every day. Company isnt doing well so my job is under constant threat.

Right now, I would feel almost relieved and happy if I lost my job. I have numerous co-workers getting paid by the government their full six figure salary to sit at home and not work. Other co-workers are married and still employed and are getting the first and second stimulus checks that I pay for with my taxes and I never got to receive because the government thinks lowly apartment dweller me is too rich.

Now, the Democrats are going to control the govt. I paid off nearly 30K in student loans. I guess my hard work and sacrificing to save money wasn't fair to everyone else so the Democrats are now going to make me pay for everyone else's student loan debt.

I nor my family took part in Jim Crow nor slavery. None of my ancestors were even here before the civil war. Yet Democrats will likely make me pay extra to fund reparations going to people I never did anything to and who never were slaves themselves. Seems like I am getting screwed again by Democrats here.

How is it fair that I keep getting screwed over by the Democrats?
I want to lose my job because people who don't have a job get a better deal than those of us who do.

With a Republican POTUS and Republican Senate, just HOW is it the Democrats are screwing you over?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:41 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,106 times
Quote:

How is it fair that I keep getting screwed over by the Democrats? I want to lose my job because people who don't have a job get a better deal than those of us who do.
bOo HoO

Everything isn’t about you, it’s about we the people. I shudder to think if I made that much money and had the audacity to complain about my life.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:03 AM

864 posts, read 440,330 times
Quote:

I hear you. You work your butt off, make sacrifices when compared to others, accept the consequences of your actions, pay your debts, save for your future and live beneath your means. Once that happens those who took other paths think you owe them and you pretty much have to spend the rest of your live trying to protect what you have earned and continue to earn from them.

They don’t go after the losers, just the winners. Don’t decide you want to be a loser. In the end being a winner is still the better option. Although I agree it makes you feel like the bigger fool at times. Try not to become too bitter.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
I’m supporting myself and three people on a little more than half of what you make and I live in a decent neighborhood. You’re just bad at managing your money, dude.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:08 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:

I've always lived in my home free and clear so I was never able to take advantage of mortgage forbearance or any of the other programs available. Ever. Meh, it is what it is. Sometimes life's not fair.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:11 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I hear you. You work your butt off, make sacrifices when compared to others, accept the consequences of your actions, pay your debts, save for your future and live beneath your means. Once that happens those who took other paths think you owe them and you pretty much have to spend the rest of your live trying to protect what you have earned and continue to earn from them.

They don’t go after the losers, just the winners. Don’t decide you want to be a loser. In the end being a winner is still the better option. Although I agree it makes you feel like the bigger fool at times. Try not to become too bitter.
who else are they going to take from. Losers need to eat too and there are millions of them.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
You don't even make enough money to be affected by any large tax increase. I doubt student loan forgiveness will even happen. So much hysteria.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
How is anybody pulling in six figures of unemployment when TX's maximum benefit is $535 a week. Even when the extra $600 a week from the feds was happening, they would still be about $40k short of six figures.
They're not. OP is full of crap. You can find the max benefits from every state. Even with +$600 every week under CARES (which now doesn't exist anymore), no one was pulling in 6+ figure unemployment compensation. It is a fib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies