Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 09:37 AM

6,104 posts, read 2,725,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Love seeing how all the people here are seeing this as a great thing and cheering this on. Just remember, it can happen to your side as well....will you be so happy about the decisions of social media then ?
Facebook, and twitter ban people all the time I know plenty of people on FB who have been banned for simply posting a meme both Dem and Repub.

The fact that they kept his account active as long as they did is surprising none the less.

the last straw was the insurrection egged on by him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 09:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Love seeing how all the people here are seeing this as a great thing and cheering this on. Just remember, it can happen to your side as well....will you be so happy about the decisions of social media then ?
1. I didn't lie and spread fake news for four years, which is what ultimately lead to what happened yesterday.

2. I've not said anything crazy enough to get banned from Facebook.

3. If, for whatever reason I were to be banned from FB, I won't whine about it on Twitter.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:39 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Being as I personally don't have a side, if posts incite violence that ultimately lead to destruction and death?! Hell yes! Who cares if it is the right or the left who the ban was handed out to if it prevents tragedy from happening
And that right there is the basis on why he was banned. And it could )and has) happen to anyone, including the supposedly "Leader of the Free World".

Old 01-07-2021, 09:40 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Yes, if any Democratic leader constantly pushes lies or incites violence, I’ll be 100% happy with them being banned from social media.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:41 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Poor Pence. I truly do feel sorry for him as a Democrat. Maybe Biden could give him a cabinet position or something so he can be part of a calmer time in the White House.
I feel no sympathy for him at all. He chose to back Trump for the last 4 years. He chose to turn a blind eye to Trumps actions. He deserves no sympathy because Trump repeatedly has shown who he is, he has shown that as soon as someone doesn't bow and kiss the ring they are no longer "the best people" but are considered enemies to Trump.

Pence reaped what he has sown in his carefully tended garden.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:53 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Being as I personally don't have a side, if posts incite violence that ultimately lead to criminal behavior such as breaking and entering, rioting, looting, destruction and death (all things that occurred yesterday)?! Hell yes! Who cares if it is the right or the left who the ban was handed out to if it prevents tragedy from happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Facebook, and twitter ban people all the time I know plenty of people on FB who have been banned for simply posting a meme both Dem and Repub.

The fact that they kept his account active as long as they did is surprising none the less.

the last straw was the insurrection egged on by him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
1. I didn't lie and spread fake news for four years, which is what ultimately lead to what happened yesterday.

2. I've not said anything crazy enough to get banned from Facebook.

3. If, for whatever reason I were to be banned from FB, I won't whine about it on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes, if any Democratic leader constantly pushes lies or incites violence, I’ll be 100% happy with them being banned from social media.
Stop focusing on Trump and the current events.

Look at the larger picture. These sites...Twitter, FB, etc, are supposed to just be platforms for people to spew whatever garbage they desire on. When those sites start imposing their own agenda, opinions whatever it may be, it's not good. At least that is how I see it.

I know this is an extremely simple example, but I think it works. Remember the whole Yanny vs Laurel thing from years back ? Many of us heard different things, but what if FB decided to censor anyone that heard yanny, ignoring those that heard laurel because FB decided yanny was correct ? Now if, all these sites are publisher platforms, it's different. Currently they are not.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:54 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think the ban should be until the new president is installed (meaning when Mr. Trump becomes a private citizen again).
I like that idea. On ALL social media platforms

Old 01-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Stop focusing on Trump and the current events.

Look at the larger picture. These sites...Twitter, FB, etc, are supposed to just be platforms for people to spew whatever garbage they desire on. When those sites start imposing their own agenda, opinions whatever it may be, it's not good. At least that is how I see it.

I know this is an extremely simple example, but I think it works. Remember the whole Yanny vs Laurel thing from years back ? Many of us heard different things, but what if FB decided to censor anyone that heard yanny, ignoring those that heard laurel because FB decided yanny was correct ? Now if, all these sites are publisher platforms, it's different. Currently they are not.
Sounds suspiciously like “Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”.

FB used to be about people posting pictures of their vacations, kids and pets. And for teenagers to show how their lives were better than their friends lives. That changed a long time ago and it’s become a soap box for fringe extremism. If FB, a private company, want to ban someone that’s their right. No one has a right to be able to post on FB or on C-D for that matter as many Not a Members can tell you.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:11 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Sounds suspiciously like “Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”.

FB used to be about people posting pictures of their vacations, kids and pets. And for teenagers to show how their lives were better than their friends lives. That changed a long time ago and it’s become a soap box for fringe extremism. If FB, a private company, want to ban someone that’s their right. No one has a right to be able to post on FB or on C-D for that matter as many Not a Members can tell you.
Understood. Personally I think these platforms, along with the media are responsible for the divisiveness that has gone on in our country. And I'm not just talking politically. I am seeing it at all other levels as well.

I guess I'm a bit torn. I don't think they should show any bias, yet I think they are responsible for the divisiveness. After watching that documentary " the Social Dilemma" we would all be better off without these platforms.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Understood. Personally I think these platforms, along with the media are responsible for the divisiveness that has gone on in our country. And I'm not just talking politically. I am seeing it at all other levels as well.

I guess I'm a bit torn. I don't think they should show any bias, yet I think they are responsible for the divisiveness. After watching that documentary " the Social Dilemma" we would all be better off without these platforms.
I don’t disagree that we’d be better off. I closed my FB and Twitter accounts years ago because I was disturbed by what I saw and read. I do still use Instagram because who doesn’t like pictures of pancakes and people’s cute dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies