Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:02 PM

117 posts, read 46,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
What do people consider hate speech? To me hate speech would be something like calling for someone to be killed or using a direct racial slur at them. It is becoming clear many people think hate speech is anything that they don’t agree with or anything that makes them uncomfortable.

Would you prefer to only hear from people who agree with you on everything and just have a giant echo chamber? What purpose would that serve? Why do so many people today fear open discussion of difficult subjects? Why are so many people afraid to think beyond what they are spoon fed?

Is anyone aware that City Data is the single best free speech platform on the planet with close to equal representation? Aren’t we all here because we are interested to hear what other people have to say?

Please be aware that if City Data was well known and part of mainstream social media that it would cease to exist as it is. We would no longer be able to openly discuss certain topics. Is that what people would prefer?

Slippery slopes have a way of taking stability out from under your own feet. Before anyone celebrates the limiting of discussion, opinion and debate on other platforms, remember we could be next. Also remember that what you consider acceptable speech may very well be declared unacceptable speech when the other side is in control of the narrative.

Life is a never ending series of unintended consequences. As someone who is neither Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative, I see bad things on the horizon. We truly are in the process of walking the same path as other authoritarian countries have.
So Trump was suspended from some social media sites... and now we want to make this about "free" or "hate" speech

Trump is not just another person. He is the president of the United states. The standards are different. He does not just represent the 74.2 that voted for him, he also represents the other 80 million who voted against him.

I have never in my life seen the leader of "free" country describe more than half of the population as the "enemy" "evil" "traitors" "criminals". I have never seen a president instruct people in crowds to hit someone and offer to pay their bail. I have never seen a president tell his citizens to storm into a federal building where the other branch of government works. I have never seen a president's lawyer tell citizens "to combat" other citizens. I have never seen a president's son tell citizens "to fight" other citizens.

It's so toxic. People got hurt and killed. A police office died, others are injured. Imagine what would have happened if those people would have reached Pelosi, Pence or other democratic legislators. This president's only legacy is hate. He made Americans hate each other to the point that people are willing to storm into federal buildings to kill lawmakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 05:07 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I define hate speech as any speech that I hate. I hate speech that I disagree with so that would be hate speech. A broad definition some may say, but many people in their twenties define it that way as well.
Well, at least you are honest about what you think -- even though my thinking is completely opposite from yours. (So far, at least, going by your posts.)

And if you are serious about yourself and if what you say is true about other people in their 20's, no wonder so many people are genuinely fearful of what lies ahead for the U.S.

(I honestly do wonder whether you are serious in your posts or just trolling -- but if you are trying to make a point by stating the opposite of your true feelings, it would be helpful if you would indicate that you are using a form of sarcasm or being ironic or whatever.)

P.S. On Edit: Actually now I do think that you are NOT being serious in your posts, but gullible, trusting, and sincere people (raises hand) might think you ARE being serious as I think it is true that most people judge others by how they themselves are and by what they would do -- and most people who post in C-D are very sincere and often passionate in what they post on the P&OC forum, so their first thought is not, "S/he is just kidding."

Last edited by katharsis; 01-09-2021 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 05:09 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Yes, I'm not sure why more people don't realize that Kristinas_Cap is a troll account. Pretty much everything they say is intended to get a rise out of folks here on City-Data.
Yeah, as I said in the post above this one, that is what I think, too -- but if that is true, then why hasn't that account been deleted as a violation of C-D's terms of service?

Old 01-09-2021, 05:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Bottom line folks. The owner or management of CD have a set of rules defined under which we all post, and we have had defined for us. Even within those specified lines, you usually have to clearly cross one of those rules.

Some lines can be a bit blurry. And the systems not going to be perfect. And its not like we are paying them.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:38 PM

612 posts, read 240,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervision required View Post
So Trump was suspended from some social media sites... and now we want to make this about "free" or "hate" speech

Trump is not just another person. He is the president of the United states. The standards are different. He does not just represent the 74.2 that voted for him, he also represents the other 80 million who voted against him.

I have never in my life seen the leader of "free" country describe more than half of the population as the "enemy" "evil" "traitors" "criminals". I have never seen a president instruct people in crowds to hit someone and offer to pay their bail. I have never seen a president tell his citizens to storm into a federal building where the other branch of government works. I have never seen a president's lawyer tell citizens "to combat" other citizens. I have never seen a president's son tell citizens "to fight" other citizens.

It's so toxic. People got hurt and killed. A police office died, others are injured. Imagine what would have happened if those people would have reached Pelosi, Pence or other democratic legislators. This president's only legacy is hate. He made Americans hate each other to the point that people are willing to storm into federal buildings to kill lawmakers.
I am not even referring to Trump. I am referring to the many many many people who are being silenced in a variety of ways across other platforms, as well as the growing efforts by people in power to pressure big tech to go even further, including preventing people from being able to host their own sites.

I won't even get into your comment about only Trump demonizing half the country, because obviously you are not paying attention to what Obama/Pelosi/Biden/Harris and others have been saying. You obviously did not see when Maxine Waters and Harris told people to keep attacking people. Not to stop. You obviously are not aware of Harris and others bailing people out who destroyed businesses and looted stores and attacked people.

I don't defend Trump, nor do I defend the Democrats. Wrong is wrong.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
I am not even referring to Trump. I am referring to the many many many people who are being silenced in a variety of ways across other platforms, as well as the growing efforts by people in power to pressure big tech to go even further, including preventing people from being able to host their own sites.
Big tech suspends accounts that cause them a liability. Has nothing to do with speech. Twitter doesnt want to be known as the platform that hosts insurrections. They dont want blood on their hands. Its a private company, they can do that. The other companies just followed suit.

This POC forum is still an echo chamber. Because all the years Ive been on here, not many people are willing to listen to each other and learn, theyre just talking at each other, and looking for validation from their side.
Then in the last 4 years, alt right alt facts made things 100 times worse. And because of all that, there will never be unity on this board from both sides, let alone in this country.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Yes, I'm not sure why more people don't realize that Kristinas_Cap is a troll account. Pretty much everything they say is intended to get a rise out of folks here on City-Data.
Actually no, you have to look at the bigger picture. Everything I say is what is commonly believed by a majority of folks

Old 01-09-2021, 08:05 PM

612 posts, read 240,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Big tech suspends accounts that cause them a liability. Has nothing to do with speech. Twitter doesnt want to be known as the platform that hosts insurrections. They dont want blood on their hands. Its a private company, they can do that. The other companies just followed suit.

This POC forum is still an echo chamber. Because all the years Ive been on here, not many people are willing to listen to each other and learn, theyre just talking at each other, and looking for validation from their side.
Then in the last 4 years, alt right alt facts made things 100 times worse. And because of all that, there will never be unity on this board from both sides, let alone in this country.
Facebook closed the #WalkAway account and people who were associated with them. What is threatening about asking people to entertainment more than just one political party by default?

At least here you can read comments from both sides and others about various topics. Elsewhere you can't. It's getting closer to the point on other platforms where you can only post about what they want you to post about. That's absolutely useless.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:10 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I define hate speech as any speech that I hate. I hate speech that I disagree with so that would be hate speech. A broad definition some may say, but many people in their twenties define it that way as well.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, at least you are honest about what you think -- even though my thinking is completely opposite from yours. (So far, at least, going by your posts.)
My thinking is completely opposite from the opposite of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies