Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times

Advertisements

In light of the protests recently from both the left and right, it's becoming more apparent that both sides really have the same delusions, just in different forms.

Both BLM to QAnon have the same logic: There is an underlying deep state / system. I am not a part of the system and the system is against me. All actions can be tied back to the system. My actions are justified in attacking the system as that's more important than other consequences of my actions. If you are not for me in my attack against the system, you are part of it.

One side calls it systematic racism, the other the "deep state". Both are perpetual victims. Arguing with them is pointless unless they are willing to abandon their victimhood and lazy group thinking. Both sides claim a moral highground of equality or freedom or whatever, but in reality perform very immoral actions.

The resolution is such: I'm not a victim, I'm a blessed / privileged person to be in America. There are problems to be resolved, but not all problems trace back to a common source. I will accept that others know more about certain issues than I do and I will listen to what they have to say and consider it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Good post and I agree that both extremes are two sides of the same coin. Don't expect many replies, as the masses would rather live in their bubbles. You are essentially asking everyone on both sides to admit to some level of fault. Not likely to happen. lol.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Most people are reasonable and fall in the moderate scale on most things, swinging only slightly left or slightly right. The real issue is that the nutcases on both sides have been given too easy of a national platform, thanks to social media. They have always wandered among us, just in the past we didn’t have to hear about them or their whacky thoughts. We’d all be a lot better off if they woukd go back under their respective rocks.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:52 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Good observations. Yes, I have noticed this too.

I agree with others that social media is giving them a platform they never would have had prior. We are in new territory.

I also find it interesting that the biggest conspiracy theory of all - at the end of his term Trump will try to invoke the Insurrection Act, declare martial law and appoint himself President for life - is being touted by BOTH the far left and far right online.

Really, neither has a leg to stand on when it comes to accusing the other of buying into wacky theories.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:56 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
In light of the protests recently from both the left and right, it's becoming more apparent that both sides really have the same delusions, just in different forms.

Both BLM to QAnon have the same logic: There is an underlying deep state / system. I am not a part of the system and the system is against me. All actions can be tied back to the system. My actions are justified in attacking the system as that's more important than other consequences of my actions. If you are not for me in my attack against the system, you are part of it.

One side calls it systematic racism, the other the "deep state". Both are perpetual victims. Arguing with them is pointless unless they are willing to abandon their victimhood and lazy group thinking. Both sides claim a moral highground of equality or freedom or whatever, but in reality perform very immoral actions.

The resolution is such: I'm not a victim, I'm a blessed / privileged person to be in America. There are problems to be resolved, but not all problems trace back to a common source. I will accept that others know more about certain issues than I do and I will listen to what they have to say and consider it.

Thoughts?
The bold is what I think.

I personally do not consider myself a victim, and the U.S. has been good to me, but I know that many other people would disagree with some justification.

Where you and I are also in agreement is the need to LISTEN to what others have to say and consider it. I wish many more people would do that, as well as acknowledge (as you said) that no one knows everything about everything (by a long shot!), and I would also wish that so many people would stop acting like she or he is the ultimate authority on anything political, and especially when they are only expressing their opinions. (And this has been particularly irksome to me when it comes to the COVID pandemic and to the 2020 POTUS election!!)

Old 01-13-2021, 02:56 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Most people are reasonable and fall in the moderate scale on most things, swinging only slightly left or slightly right. The real issue is that the nutcases on both sides have been given too easy of a national platform, thanks to social media. They have always wandered among us, just in the past we didn’t have to hear about them or their whacky thoughts. We’d all be a lot better off if they woukd go back under their respective rocks.
Moderates are like wild animals in the middle of a busy street/highway: roadkill.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Thoughts?
Sheep/Racist!!!

Try telling any kid on reddit that systemic racism is at a minimum greatly exaggerated in it's impact on black people, and holy makeral. Absolute religious adherence. "You don't understand what systemic racism is!!" No, I do, I think it's simplistic and inaccurate.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Good post and I agree that both extremes are two sides of the same coin. Don't expect many replies, as the masses would rather live in their bubbles. You are essentially asking everyone on both sides to admit to some level of fault. Not likely to happen. lol.
I agree with this but I particularly wanted to address the bold.

I am a moderate conservative, but there are some issues where I definitely take the liberal view and some that I hold very strong conservative views about. Most of the time when I write an "in the middle" post, I will receive NO response or reps, but when I take a strong stand for or against an issue, I usually get many "reps".

Old 01-13-2021, 03:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree with this but I particularly wanted to address the bold.

I am a moderate conservative, but there are some issues where I definitely take the liberal view and some that I hold very strong conservative views about. Most of the time when I write an "in the middle" post, I will receive NO response or reps, but when I take a strong stand for or against an issue, I usually get many "reps".
there is no greater example of this than Reddit.

If I were to make a post saying that both systemic racism and election fraud are bunk, my post will disappear faster than a big mac on Air Force One. The sites algorithm is entirely geared towards positive upvotes moving your content into view. Bring this up there, and that sinks to the bottom as well.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:14 PM

636 posts, read 328,515 times
Leader of the Dem party of California was joined by some lib politicians yesterday at a news conference and called the attempt to gather 1.5 million registered voters to sign a petition to recall Gov. Newsom a coup led by fanatic resurrectionists.

Complete insanity by Dem leadership. Note that the leader of Dem Party, Rusty Hicks, comes from a long line of Union troublemakers. The main charge against Newsom is that he has used the Covid epidemic to pander to Unions, while destroying small independent business by unscientific nonsense for lockdowns.

A recall election is well spelled out in the CA Constitution, and those seeking the recall are doing everything according to the CA Constitution to achieve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies