Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 03:01 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
One video, what about how the biased media sugarcoated BLM riots where cities across the nation were burned, vandalized, innocent people people terrorized, and normal life disrupted.
That video is actually a compilation of many videos!

If you watched it, you would know this and would also be able to comment accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 03:01 PM

761 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Facebook was cool when it was only for college kids, it went downhill considerably when everybody was allowed to get on. I miss Myspace.
Facebook will be consumed by its own popularity and desire to become political. We are seeing it in sports...with the media....everything.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:02 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This is my belief. I think the media in all forms is mostly (not entirely) to blame for the current situation in the US. They are paid to get views/subscribers/clicks/links/tweets etc. This means the more extreme headlines and stories, the ones that will scare the most, stand to be winners in the lottery of advertising.

Both sides are guilty of this. I have seen many twisted or just left out facts from stories from the left leaning sources and I have seen the same from Fox and others. You have extreme media on the left telling their followers the world will end because of conservatives or Trump, and you have the right media telling them the world will end because of the democrats and Biden etc.

I don't know what the solution is. The media watchdogs are corrupted as well by advertising dollars or donations from "interested" parties. Where does it end?

I feel the entire media platform needs to be shut down and start over. I don't see a way out or this ending soon. Any ideas?
The media use to investigate and report the news regardless who was the president, they don’t anymore and are more activists, remember the kid who cnn claiming he walked up to a Native American protesting and blocked his way? Turns out the boys were just waiting for their ride and it was the Native American that walked up to him. Reason why the kid won the lawsuit. Because of that this kid and the school received death threats.

I no longer trust anything they report.

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
This is my belief. I think the media in all forms is mostly (not entirely) to blame for the current situation in the US. They are paid to get views/subscribers/clicks/links/tweets etc. This means the more extreme headlines and stories, the ones that will scare the most, stand to be winners in the lottery of advertising.

Both sides are guilty of this. I have seen many twisted or just left out facts from stories from the left leaning sources and I have seen the same from Fox and others. You have extreme media on the left telling their followers the world will end because of conservatives or Trump, and you have the right media telling them the world will end because of the democrats and Biden etc.

I don't know what the solution is. The media watchdogs are corrupted as well by advertising dollars or donations from "interested" parties. Where does it end?

I feel the entire media platform needs to be shut down and start over. I don't see a way out or this ending soon. Any ideas?
I think it is lazy to blame the media. It implies we consumers of the media take no responsible for how we use the media.

Media is broad specrtrum of outlets -- online, in print, on tv, on radio, in magazine. Lumping it all as one big nasty enemy bringing the country down -- we imply the rest of us are mindless idiots.

We want to change things -- sotp blaming 'others' -- own it and do our part.

I'll be interested to see how Biden deals with opposition.

Name calling, personal attacks within parties and between parties and internationally became the norm.....I do see Biden hurling insults at someone's physical appearance or mannerisms if they say they think his foreign policy is not the best for the country. But I could be wrong.

We will have to wait and see.

If Americans want to tone down the discord -- we shouldn't be looking to the press to do it - -we should be doing it.

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Media is supposed to inform us not inflame us.

Worse they inflame and lie to the people and that includes social media.

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
The media is not just part of the problem, the media is the problem.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:03 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
I cannot think of anything more devoid of personal responsibility than blaming any media source for people who demand lies and tales that comfort and nurture their mistaken beliefs. These people can change the channel, read a book, explore alternative viewpoints and news sources and they choose not too.

The media is not responsible for anything that uneducated or uninformed people seek out. The media is merely choosing to participate in our free market environment. Their business model is to make as much as they can by providing people what they want. We accept that the alcohol and tobacco industry is merely filling a demand by providing a toxic product with many health related problems. We accept that the oil industry is simply filling a need, even if the air quality suffers.

But somehow "the media" should walk away from the very demand that ensures their profits? No, people need to be held fully responsible for their choices, not given excuses to remain ignorant.

Last edited by shaker281; 01-14-2021 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 03:05 PM

6,345 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Facebook was cool when it was only for college kids, it went downhill considerably when everybody was allowed to get on. I miss Myspace.
I was on myspace for a month before it started dying.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:06 PM

761 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The media is not just part of the problem, the media is the problem.
This is true. We as individuals have absolutely no frame of reference to what constitutes this thing called America that 350 million live in. The media shapes the narrative to which we identify with and live by.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:06 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:

media is to blame. I don't know about shutting it down though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies