Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Funny you bring this up. It was looked at many , many years ago. Along with an entire project of 27 test to see the plausibility of using a nuclear bomb for something other than war. Luckily we abandoned moving in this direction.
Go ahead though, make fun of Trump though if it makes you feel better.

It was in the context of Project Plowshare that Reed, a meteorologist working on the U.S. nuclear test program, conceived the idea that a nuclear weapon could be used to disrupt a hurricane.
Reed was studying the atmospheric effects of a nuclear test called "Mike" conducted in the South Pacific in October 1952.
Mike, the first H-bomb ever detonated, created a massive blast equivalent to 15 million tons of TNT, roughly a thousand times bigger than the blast that destroyed Hiroshima.
Reed had been interested in cyclones— hurricanes and their kin— since his days as an Air Force meteorologist when he saw the destructive power of the storms up close. In 1946, he was on the Philippines-based crew of a B-29 that flew eight missions through cyclones' eyes.
"When I got in the bomb business, I remained interested," recalled Reed, who still lives in Albuquerque.
When in the early 1950s he began studying the meteorology of the Mike test, he saw a connection. Mike had lofted a massive central column of air more than 20 miles into the sky.
A slightly larger blast detonated in the eye of a hurricane could loft most of the relatively warm air in the hurricane's eye— its central engine— high above the storm, Reed figured.
The warm air would be replaced by colder, denser air, weakening the storm, according to Reed.

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/metr...ro09-18-04.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Plowshare
This is off topic, but why not give it a shot? Unless some scientist has a computer model that reliably says it won't work, why not? Maybe we would try it on one that is not a threat to land, since it could possibly have the opposite effect? I have thought too if you could pump cold ocean water to the surface in the path of the storm. They would have to be massive pumps. Maybe would not really make a difference? Would be run trying! lol.

As to the OP's assertion that Biden is giving the middle finger because of this appointment, I don't see it. I may not agree with that lifestyle, but this person might be qualified. The repubs approved him in Pennsylvania, so there's that.

In my mind, Biden has given the middle finger to making peace with people he disagrees with. Calling Trump a Nazi and his supporters Chumps. He also said some nasty things in 2016 as well, I just can't find the clip now (saw it earlier today though). No different than Clinton calling half the voting nation deplorables. I think he has lost his mind. In one sentence he says he will work for all Americans and the next he says he will work for everyone but white people and then calls all of his opponents names. Oh well. Divide America and start a war. Who really cares at this point? I'm just tired of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 01:37 PM

636 posts, read 327,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well in the other thread they say Rachel Levine gave advice to her governor to put Covid patients back in nursing homes. That is something only New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan did and was the biggest mistake during the pandemic leading directly to thousands of deaths.
Maybe that why Joe wants her around. She says to do one thing it means do the other thing. Makes sense to Joe. Highly qualified for being completely incompetent, just like him. Birds of a feather. Whatever floats your boat, Joe. We are entering the twilight zone.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I see that homo/transphobic bigotry is still alive and well on CD. And here I thought all the extremists moved to Parler.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:53 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I see that homo/transphobic bigotry is still alive and well on CD. And here I thought all the extremists moved to Parler.
This place is Parler Jr for the questioning and not quite ready for the big leagues bigots.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:49 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Funny you bring this up. It was looked at many , many years ago. Along with an entire project of 27 test to see the plausibility of using a nuclear bomb for something other than war. Luckily we abandoned moving in this direction.
Go ahead though, make fun of Trump though if it makes you feel better.

It was in the context of Project Plowshare that Reed, a meteorologist working on the U.S. nuclear test program, conceived the idea that a nuclear weapon could be used to disrupt a hurricane.
Reed was studying the atmospheric effects of a nuclear test called "Mike" conducted in the South Pacific in October 1952.
Mike, the first H-bomb ever detonated, created a massive blast equivalent to 15 million tons of TNT, roughly a thousand times bigger than the blast that destroyed Hiroshima.
Reed had been interested in cyclones— hurricanes and their kin— since his days as an Air Force meteorologist when he saw the destructive power of the storms up close. In 1946, he was on the Philippines-based crew of a B-29 that flew eight missions through cyclones' eyes.
"When I got in the bomb business, I remained interested," recalled Reed, who still lives in Albuquerque.
When in the early 1950s he began studying the meteorology of the Mike test, he saw a connection. Mike had lofted a massive central column of air more than 20 miles into the sky.
A slightly larger blast detonated in the eye of a hurricane could loft most of the relatively warm air in the hurricane's eye— its central engine— high above the storm, Reed figured.
The warm air would be replaced by colder, denser air, weakening the storm, according to Reed.

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/metr...ro09-18-04.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Plowshare

You seem to have missed the point that no one has ever tried it, this theory does not have scientific acceptance, and is only the concoction of one man.

It's strange to me that somehow climate change has world wide scientific acceptance but it is a hoax, but the theory of one man should be taken as gospel.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:52 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
Picking a trans person just because they are trans and not because, you know, actually good at their job

15.00 minimum wage killing small businesses

Pathetically weak on immigration

Letting in 15 million illegals because it's the insane liberal thing to do

He's just getting warmed up
he's not letting in 15MM illegals though. They're already here. Whatever "intelligent" source you're using for info is off base there.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,959,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And how has she done that, exactly? Please provide documented details as to how Rachel Levine explicitly has called attention to her "personal traits", and how that has impaired her ability to do her job in public health.

Perhaps you're the one who's distracted.
Typical democrat deflection. But to answer your silly questions: Are you not blind? Do you seriously think anyone would take that person seriously? Would you let “her” examine your children?
Perhaps you are the one to answer questions and provide documentation.

This ain’t some Ohio JC classroom where you get to throw your weight around. You don’t get to demand answers from me or anyone else. It’s obvious you don’t have a response by your conceited attitude.
Go fish, warrior.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:25 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So extremist is the new catch word. Got it.

Or better yet white nationalist extremist.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:42 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
There is no way that Biden even knows who this person is. It’s also clear he isn’t the one making these decisions. Biden can’t even remember who his wife is on some days.

That’s my real question: Who is (will be) actually running the country? I don’t believe it’s Harris, either.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:08 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You seem to have missed the point that no one has ever tried it, this theory does not have scientific acceptance, and is only the concoction of one man.

It's strange to me that somehow climate change has world wide scientific acceptance but it is a hoax, but the theory of one man should be taken as gospel.

Nice deflection, you thought it could be another one of your many comments bashing Trump for something he said that you think was stupid. Yet this one actually had some truth to it. Even though it was "way out there"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies