Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many of the big business Republicans WANT more immigration so they generally support Biden's path to citizenship initiatives. This is especially the case in certain economic sectors that already have severe labor shortages. I doubt you really know much about this as I have a very detailed understanding of economics and demographics. You want even more inflation regarding FOOD PRICES! Restrict immigration some more, haha.

I have witnessed first hand what happens when illegal immigration is allowed or should I say covered up, when I lived and worked in a largely Brazilian community. The illegals caused all sorts of problems from petty crimes to major ones. I knew a guy that was illegal, and a real troublemaker. The last I heard he was arrested in Florida for human trafficking. The illegals drove down wages and took jobs from both Americans and their Legal Brazilian countrymen. I knew another guy that did everything right. He immigrated legally, started a painting business became a US citizen and even bought a house and the illegals put him out of work by undercutting his jobs and he had to go back to Brazil. The illegals were known for loading up rental houses and skipped out on the rent leaving the landlords unable to chase them for damages. It was always "my cousin" needs a place for a few weeks etc...

I now live in an area that is a tourist destination and in the Summer we get very busy. We used to have thousands of students on K1 visas come over from Europe to work and play but with restrictions on their visas and Covid concerns many places such as the local grocery store had signs up all Summer long trying to hire people. The per hour rate was pushing $17 an hour. Not bad for stocking shelves and many locals went to work.

The point is if a place offers enough money people will get to work.

I do understand the damage that illegal immigration can do to a community and America as a whole. If we need to fill job openings why can't we issue work visas? it has worked for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:00 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
List of Biden EO's.

COVID-19 CRISIS
* Seek a $1.9 trillion spending proposal aimed at accelerating the distribution of coronavirus vaccines while providing economic relief to millions of Americans hurt by the pandemic.
Another "stimulus" package ? Is this how he "beats" Covid ?

* Impose a mask-wearing requirement on all federal property, planes and buses.
This is fine, millions of us are already doing this though.

* Extend relief on federal student loan payments and extend an eviction moratorium.
Will the people that are owed rent be helped ? Can I get relief on my mortgage ?

* Sign an executive order that helps schools and businesses reopen safely, expands coronavirus testing and establishes clearer public health standards.
Blah, Blah, Blah...aren't we doing this already, state by state ?

* Direct federal agencies to take immediate action to deliver economic relief to working families bearing the brunt of the crisis, including by extending a moratorium on evictions.
I'm fine with helping people directly effected by the pandemic. Will this help extent to those that are owned rent ?

* Return the United States to the World Health Organization. Trump withdrew from the agency, saying it failed to properly oversee the COVID-19 pandemic.
Waste of time, and money. Just posturing by undoing something Trump did.

CLIMATE
* Bring the United States back into the Paris Climate Agreement, the global pact forged five years ago among nearly 200 nations to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Trump vowed in 2016 to pull the United States out of the agreement, making good on that promise in November 2020.
Great, we are going to enter this circle jerk of countries that will set unrealistic goals to help the environment. I'm all for reducing our output of pollution, but not at the expense of people and their jobs. Our country has done a great job of this without having to be a part of this agreement.

* Issue a sweeping executive order on the climate crisis that will ask all federal agencies to review Trump policies and address those harmful to health or damaging to the environment.

* Reimpose methane pollution limits for new and existing oil and gas operations repealed by Trump.
As long as it's done logically, while keeping production feasible, okay.

* Using the federal government procurement system – which spends $500 billion every year – to make facilities more reliant on clean energy and purchase zero-emissions vehicles.
That's fine. More money spent, it will provide jobs, though.

* Ban new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters, including the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Good and bad on this.

* Cancel the permit for the Keystone XL Pipeline, which would carry oil from Canada to the United States.
Good and bad on this. Now that oil will be transported by rail or truck. Which will add jobs, which one is safer though ?

IMMIGRATION
* Repeal the ban on almost all travel from some Muslim-majority countries.
Bad, although I don't think Trump was restrictive enough on this ban. There were countries left off of it that should have been on it.

* Send to Congress a sweeping immigration bill that could legalize millions of immigrants living in the United States without legal permission.
A reward for breaking the law !

* Reinstate the program allowing “Dreamers,” people who were brought to the United States illegally as children, to remain in the country.
A reward for their parents breaking the law !

* Reverse Trump’s policy that separated immigrant parents from their children at the border, including ending the prosecution of parents for minor immigration violations, and prioritize the reunification of any children still separated from their families.
Why didn't he stand up for those children as VP under Obama ?

* Reverse Trump’s more restrictive asylum policies, such as imposing additional restrictions on anyone traveling through Mexico or Guatemala and attempting to prevent victims of gang and domestic violence from receiving asylum.
Great, we need more MS-13 here, they are so helpful to our society

* End Trump’s National Emergency declaration that allowed him to shift federal funds from the Department of Defense to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.
Walls / Fences don't work ? Why is the Capital surrounded by one now ?

* Order an immediate review of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for vulnerable populations who cannot find safety in their countries severely affected by violence or disaster.

OTHER ISSUES
* Ask all U.S. agencies to create an action plan to address racial inequality.
It's the new normal, every agency, company etc. seems to be doing this.

* Order every administration appointee to sign an ethics pledge to ensure that officials act in the interests of the American people and not for personal gain.
Oh the feelz...SMH

* Issue an executive order to make sure federal anti-discrimination statutes prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
That is fine.

Great post.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:03 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
That is not true. Trump was unable to cancel some of Hussein's EOs. The courts said they had to be reversed through legislation.
Those pesky courts!

Old 01-20-2021, 08:04 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
List of Biden EO's.

COVID-19 CRISIS
* Seek a $1.9 trillion spending proposal aimed at accelerating the distribution of coronavirus vaccines while providing economic relief to millions of Americans hurt by the pandemic.

* Extend relief on federal student loan payments and extend an eviction moratorium.
Will the people that are owed rent be helped ? Can I get relief on my mortgage ?

* Sign an executive order that helps schools and businesses reopen safely, expands coronavirus testing and establishes clearer public health standards.

* Direct federal agencies to take immediate action to deliver economic relief to working families bearing the brunt of the crisis, including by extending a moratorium on evictions.
I'm fine with helping people directly effected by the pandemic. Will this help extent to those that are owned rent ?

* Return the United States to the World Health Organization. Trump withdrew from the agency, saying it failed to properly oversee the COVID-19 pandemic.

CLIMATE
* Bring the United States back into the Paris Climate Agreement, the global pact forged five years ago among nearly 200 nations to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Trump vowed in 2016 to pull the United States out of the agreement, making good on that promise in November 2020.
Great, we are going to enter this circle jerk of countries that will set unrealistic goals to help the environment. I'm all for reducing our output of pollution, but not at the expense of people and their jobs. Our country has done a great job of this without having to be a part of this agreement.

* Issue a sweeping executive order on the climate crisis that will ask all federal agencies to review Trump policies and address those harmful to health or damaging to the environment.

* Reimpose methane pollution limits for new and existing oil and gas operations repealed by Trump.

* Using the federal government procurement system – which spends $500 billion every year – to make facilities more reliant on clean energy and purchase zero-emissions vehicles.

* Ban new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters, including the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Good and bad on this.

* Cancel the permit for the Keystone XL Pipeline, which would carry oil from Canada to the United States.
Good and bad on this. Now that oil will be transported by rail or truck. Which will add jobs, which one is safer though ?

IMMIGRATION
Bad, although I don't think Trump was restrictive enough on this ban. There were countries left off of it that should have been on it.

* Send to Congress a sweeping immigration bill that could legalize millions of immigrants living in the United States without legal permission.

* Reinstate the program allowing “Dreamers,” people who were brought to the United States illegally as children, to remain in the country.

* Reverse Trump’s policy that separated immigrant parents from their children at the border, including ending the prosecution of parents for minor immigration violations, and prioritize the reunification of any children still separated from their families.

* Reverse Trump’s more restrictive asylum policies, such as imposing additional restrictions on anyone traveling through Mexico or Guatemala and attempting to prevent victims of gang and domestic violence from receiving asylum.

* End Trump’s National Emergency declaration that allowed him to shift federal funds from the Department of Defense to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

* Order an immediate review of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for vulnerable populations who cannot find safety in their countries severely affected by violence or disaster.

OTHER ISSUES

* Order every administration appointee to sign an ethics pledge to ensure that officials act in the interests of the American people and not for personal gain.
Oh the feelz...SMH

* Issue an executive order to make sure federal anti-discrimination statutes prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
That is fine.

You picked your grapes way too soon. They are very sour.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
Nope that was trump. President Biden will bring unity and peace to our country.
How?

The dumbass hasn't done a thing in 47 years other than be the joke that he is.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:10 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Alright! Let's erase Trump from the history books as best we can.

Biden should undo as much of what Trump did as fast as possible.
I guess you are right. We should unsecure the boarder, give NAFTA back to Mexico and Canada, start giving money to the Europe for nothing in return via NATO, same thing with Paris climate accord, allow Iran to fool the world while they build nukes, reduce the peace treaties in the Middle East, bow to the Palestinians, and on and on. Yeah, selling out America to the rest of the world sounds like a good idea. SMH

Old 01-20-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Erasing trump’s presidency will be very satisfying.
What exactly did you dislike:

https://140reasons.com/

Seriously, pick a few...explain why. Act like an adult instead of a tween who doesn't like mommy's new boyfriend of the month.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
List of Biden EO's.

COVID-19 CRISIS

CLIMATE

Good and bad on this.

IMMIGRATION

OTHER ISSUES

Oh the feelz...SMH

That is fine.
I swear. Some of the posters on this board - you included- need to be hired by the Republican Party to write commercials and campaign for them. Excellent post.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 PM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You picked your grapes way too soon. They are very sour.
Just my opinions, others may vary. So, you are happy with his list ?

Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I guess you are right. We should unsecure the boarder, give NAFTA back to Mexico and Canada, start giving money to the Europe for nothing in return via NATO, same thing with Paris climate accord, allow Iran to fool the world while they build nukes, reduce the peace treaties in the Middle East, bow to the Palestinians, and on and on. Yeah, selling out America to the rest of the world sounds like a good idea. SMH
You can't fix their stupid.

I don't know if they are that broke/that useless/ that stupid or a combination of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies