Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,722,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBQEgg11 View Post
d)

It's astounding if those numbers are accurate.
I went back to the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega..._New_York_City

If you go to the chart and click on that little [1] reference next to "Occupation"
a link comes up dated 2007

I suspect since companies and restaurants that uses these workers do their best to hide them then it is very hard to get accurate stats

they seem to be a very high proportion in various jobs, listed their as percentage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 05:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Are you in support of minimum wage for New York City
or in an ideal would it be better to have no minimum wage and just let the free market determine wage?
Yes. Make it $150/hour! Everybody deserves a fantastic life.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:45 PM

182 posts, read 76,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I went back to the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega..._New_York_City

If you go to the chart and click on that little [1] reference next to "Occupation"
a link comes up dated 2007

I suspect since companies and restaurants that uses these workers do their best to hide them then it is very hard to get accurate stats

they seem to be a very high proportion in various jobs, listed their as percentage

Yes, the page you pulled out is credible. I meant for an average person, information wise, one wouldn't expect that shocking high percentages of illegal immigration in those fields. Perhaps NY, given its importance and status, has everything to do with that. And thanks for the link.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,466,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yet tipping is an American thing, other countries don't do it

Tipping in a roundabout way encourages paying employees off the books
I lived in Germany for a couple of years and many Germans do tip in restaurants, just a much smaller amount, as there is already a service charge included and servers make better basic wages than here. The method of tipping is also done differently. For example, money is not left on the table.

Basically, let's say a bill is for 27 DM/Euros. You can hand the server 30 (or whatever you want) and say "das stimmt so" or more commonly simply "stimmt," which effectively means the same as "keep the change."

Or you can, upon receiving a bill for for 27, simply say "dreißig" (which means 30) and the server knows to keep the rest for herself or himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies