Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 04:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,753,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We already have a national minimum wage. It is $7.25 per hour.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/minimumwage

This really should be left up to the states and the cities. If New York wants a $15 an hour minimum wage, we can debate the costs and benefits of that, but I get that. If that is what they decide, then fine.

But one size does not fit all localities equally. Not even close. And this is a very complex issue with a lot of moving parts, which most of the people chiming in on this issue appear to be oblivious to.
Yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 04:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 3,840,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We already have a national minimum wage. It is $7.25 per hour.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/minimumwage

This really should be left up to the states and the cities. If New York wants a $15 an hour minimum wage, we can debate the costs and benefits of that, but I get that. If that is what they decide, then fine.

But one size does not fit all localities equally. Not even close. And this is a very complex issue with a lot of moving parts, which most of the people chiming in on this issue appear to be oblivious to.
I agree. It was bad enough when Trump's liberal policies were being used down everyone's throats when the decisions should have been left to the states, but now it's Biden.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,982,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Did you even read your own links? That's for FEDERAL workers.

But your objection to executive orders hardly pertains just to Joe Biden. I actually agree they're over-used, but every president has used lots of them.
Yeah I got that part. And most Federal workers already make over that. But it's going to trickle down and everything will become too expensive for the average person, again.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,532,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Why should a burger flipper in bumshuck lowrent earn as much as a burger flipper in metropolis?
$15 min across the board is a horrible idea, but this specifically states that it is for federal workers. I don't know if that's concentrated in DC or not.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:37 PM

27,732 posts, read 16,243,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Looks like you failed to realize that there were more voters in 2020 than there were in 2016. Both parties got more votes. He got less than his opponent in many swing counties... which was not the case in 2016.

That aside, I'm sure his voters would have liked for him to keep more of his promises.
Nah, your just being snide.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,335,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We are right back to Presidents acting like dictators issuing their "decrees." ALL legislation and laws MUST go through Congress. We need to STOP this trend of Presidents just issuing orders without any discussion, public input or legislative action. Either we are a democratic republic or we are a dictatorship. Which is it?

Presidents (short of major emergencies) should ONLY sign or veto BILLS, acted upon by Congress. There should be NO executive decrees or mandates. This has gotten out of hand, like everything from gun rights to freedom of speech - because WE the People haven't put our foot down and stopped the madness.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...ge.cnnbusiness

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-recovery-plan
Oh no! The sky is falling!!!

Just so you know, the last federal minimum wage increase was in 2007. And it was under a Republican. Did the world end then?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 PM

8,093 posts, read 10,688,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Because everyone deserves to make a living wage regardless of where they live. Y’all want people to struggle so bad.
BRAVO!

And why are only federal workers privileged enough to make this new minimum wage?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:44 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,553,570 times
Y’all don’t deserve a discussion when you’re dribbling dumbazzery out both sides of your mouth.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM

8,093 posts, read 10,688,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah I got that part. And most Federal workers already make over that. But it's going to trickle down and everything will become too expensive for the average person, again.
Why are people so concerned about lifting the pay of the lowliest workers, but have no problem with obscene, million dollar salaries for those at the top of the pyramid?

The cost of EVERYTHING HAS BEEN GOING UP AND UP ANYWAY!!!! Haven't you noticed that? Keeping the wages of the lowest paid workers has not kept that from happening. The price of health care, utilities, food, and housing, transportation, all have been increasing steadily, DESPITE the minimum wage being to a pitiful amount for years. So, that's a hollow argument that people put out there, with little thought behind it.

Do YOU get a cost of living raise every year? Would you forfeit your COL raise or bonus each year because you are afraid that if you are paid more, prices will go up? I bet not.

We, the taxpayers, pay for those low wages, in the form of food stamps, Section 8 housing subsidies, education assistance, Medicaid, and on and on, because the low wages don't allow workers to provide those things for themselves. We let Walmart, fast food companies, and all those ultra rich companies that pay sub-par wages to their workers, with little benefits, off the hook. We, the taxpayers, in effect, SUBSIDIZE their workers, and allow them to accumulate huge profits instead of paying a living wage.

The "burger flipper" argument is so over-played and tiresome. Ever been a burger flipper? I was in my younger years. The financial industry job I have today, for which I am paid much closer to a living wage, is much easier and less stressful than that burger flipper job was.

Believe me, it wouldn't hurt them in the least to step up and pay more to those willing to work for a living, "Trickle down" didn't work.

When it's more beneficial to a person financially to get on the government dole than it is to go out and work for minimum wage, we've got a problem. And that is what is happening.

Last edited by RogueMom; 01-22-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2021, 04:47 PM

26,637 posts, read 15,195,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
He is just following through on all the promises he made to buy votes. This will kill millions of jobs and probably won't be adopted by many businesses. All costs will be passed on to the consumer and taxpayers. Biden screws dems and republicans alike.
He didn't announce $15 minimum wage until after the election.

Biden has been a major liar. Lying through omission as he released lots of policies after he won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies