Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a Democrat did what Trump did, would you still support them
No, regardless of party 27 43.55%
No, because they are a Democrat they can't do wrong 1 1.61%
Yes, because they are a Democrat, they can't do right 3 4.84%
Yes, precedent is precedent 4 6.45%
I'll await the evidence. 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have an honest question about disgraced former President Trump's second impeachment trial. As we all know, this is the first time a President challenged election results to the point of a terrorist plot to change the election results. This is the first time a former president is being impeached to prevent them from running again. Precedent will be set by this case whether you talk having the reason to impeach, an impeachment to disqualify a presidential candidate, or the result.

So I ask, conservatives, Republicans and Trump supporters, would you support a Democrat doing the same thing as Trump has done?

The OP is a fail right out the gate, it asserts something that isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
First Trump would have had to have done something to answer this poll.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:27 PM

8,502 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
So what do you make of McConnell's move to delay the trial until after Trump was gone? They could have had the trial the last week if Trump's presidency. Do you see it as a political move to give Republican's an off ramp to not vote for conviction? They don't have to go on record one way or another if they did or didn't support what Trump did. A vote to convict is followed by a vote to make it that Trump can never run again. Which is what the vast number of we the people want. Do we allow sleazy slippery moves to exonerate any crooked president? I say no. Next time it might be the other side that pulls a Trump move and you will want justice vs some tribal look the other way response. If any Democratic president did what Trump did. I would want his head on a platter as well. We can not normalize this.
There probably is at least some political slime here to let senators “save face†for their votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So when someone commits a crime and is fired from their job you should just let bygones be bygones?

He incited insurrection on the Capitol.
A mob who wanted Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi amongst others dead.
Have people lost leave of their senses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
Somebody has to be responsible for the invasion of the Capitol.

Who?

Nixon resigned and took responsibility for Watergate to avoid impeachment.

So just because Trump ends his term, does he escape all responsibility?
All three of these posts lead me to one point: who really should get blamed? I think it’s an easy, slam-dunk assertion that not enough was done to secure sensitive DC facilities in advance, and that Trump most definitely did not do enough to de-escalate the fever pitch in the city.

However there’s gray area beyond that. I can’t really say with confidence that he incited the storming of the Capitol, nor that he didn’t. Whether he was just being sloppy with his words. As has been a demonstrated, repeated habit of his, or whether he really did mean to incite this sharp of an action, I wouldn’t say he should get off scot free, but intentions matter and I think the finer points of that will be lost when political tensions are so high. To me that will be the difference between whether the senate should convict, or whether some type of other punitive measures should be undertaken.

It should also be noted that no, I don’t particularly care whether I actually like the person in question or not, nor is this a question which should have anything to do with party. Storming the Capitol was a grave affair, and the charges pending - and the precedent it could set - are also grave and potentially far-reaching.

What I am saying is that in the heat of political battle, I don’t think this will be settled in a trustworthy, thorough, and levelheaded way no matter which direction the final outcome leans.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:33 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
IMHO the election was stolen, fair and square.
What else can you expect of a democracy, where it is legal for a majority to persecute a minority.
How else did slavery exist despite it being banned in the republican form of government (sovereigns without subjects!).
Anyone so naive to believe that bought elections are not happening should not watch Hollywood's skewering of that sacred cow ["The Great McGinty."] (or ignore the infamous "machines" that ran big cities).

Is it an impeachable offense ("high crimes and misdemeanors") to warn of the scam going on?
When treason prospers, none dare call it treason.
To avoid getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar, the democrats rushed to IMPEACH the innocent.
That makes perfect sense.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IMHO the election was stolen, fair and square.
What else can you expect of a democracy, where it is legal for a majority to persecute a minority.
How else did slavery exist despite it being banned in the republican form of government (sovereigns without subjects!).
Anyone so naive to believe that bought elections are not happening should not watch Hollywood's skewering of that sacred cow ["The Great McGinty."] (or ignore the infamous "machines" that ran big cities).

Is it an impeachable offense ("high crimes and misdemeanors") to warn of the scam going on?
When treason prospers, none dare call it treason.
To avoid getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar, the democrats rushed to IMPEACH the innocent.
That makes perfect sense.
If the election was stolen where is the proof of such steal? Sounds more like someone is crying that democracy didn't work the way they wanted it to.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:40 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And I'm not sure any of those events would have happened if:
1) Democrats hadn't encouraged riots in the cities all summer;
2) The Democrats and media had not so aggressively tried to silence news of the many irregularities in this election; or
3) The Democrats hadn't been demonizing and attacking Trump supporters for the last 4 years.

Take any of those 3 out and the anger isn't nearly as strong.

Well said. Months of riots, of attacks on ordinary citizens by leftists, excused and supported by Democrat mayors, governors, and a vice-presidential candidate who promoted a fund to bail out those engaged in rioting.

These people have some nerve feigning righteousness.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
And I'm not sure any of those events would have happened if:
1) Democrats hadn't encouraged riots in the cities all summer;
2) The Democrats and media had not so aggressively tried to silence news of the many irregularities in this election; or
3) The Democrats hadn't been demonizing and attacking Trump supporters for the last 4 years.

Take any of those 3 out and the anger isn't nearly as strong.
I disagree.
1) What you forget with blaming Democrats is what came before. Operation Gridlock was around a month and a half before George Floyd protests and riots. Mind you, the Michigan Operation Gridlock led by the Wolverine Watchmen, were already debating capturing and putting Gov. Whitmer up for a kangaroo court trial.
2) But are these sources legitimate? InfoWars is nearly satirical level of legitimacy. The Blaze and Breitbart are questionable. Fox News can be OK unless you talk Tucker, Ingraham, Geraldo...
3) Tea Partiers have equally done that since the Obama days.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
So this is where the low IQ people hang out on CD?

Fascinating, yet disturbing.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have an honest question about disgraced former President Trump's second impeachment trial. As we all know, this is the first time a President challenged election results to the point of a terrorist plot to change the election results. This is the first time a former president is being impeached to prevent them from running again. Precedent will be set by this case whether you talk having the reason to impeach, an impeachment to disqualify a presidential candidate, or the result.

So I ask, conservatives, Republicans and Trump supporters, would you support a Democrat doing the same thing as Trump has done?
The entire narrative behind your assertions is a lie.

Watch his speech, or at least read the transcript. He didn't do what the articles of impeachment alleged. The impeachment was a sham.

Do you not see what's happening? The entire conservative ideology is being demonized. It's not going to be long until anyone challenging the approved orthodoxy will be silenced. The hard way, if necessary. Eventually, that dissident will be you, because there's always going to be a bogeyman, but they can wipe out all the conservatives.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:23 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
First two lines are false.
Third line applies to you and the rest with TDS.

The TDS is coming from you pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies