Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:19 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You do realize that due to Islam, people all over have Arabic names right? He could easily be from my parents’ country and be Indian. Just saying...
From Kashmir? Those are basically Arab Muslims. Muslims in India are really just Pakistanis. Indonesians don't have Arabic surnames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 09:23 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
From Kashmir? Those are basically Arab Muslims. Muslims in India are really just Pakistanis. Indonesians don't have Arabic surnames.
Lots of Indonesians have Arabic surnames. I agree they largely don't, but millions of them do.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:31 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm being dramatic? I'm not the one putting up redundant posts expounding on a single irrelevant point. And reading comprehension isn't a strong suit I'm seeing so the comment I made about chopped up trucks and tribal arguments over a goat was about African tribal "wars'. It had no bearing on the Caribbean islands at all. I was speaking about places like the Congo region, Nigeria, Sierra Leon et al. And I do indeed have more than a clue about the Caribbean.

As far as the world I'm living in and have lived in elsewhen I'm rather happy I'm not in the latter sphere now. Those were rather violent and uncertain places and I'm quite content to have survived them and to be in a more ...peaceful..realm. Though your tone suggests you think me a complete back berth as to what I know and how I came to know these things I assure you my education came at a high price. More than one would ever hope to pay monetarily. You took things so out of context with my comments about African tribal conflicts it's not even close to amusing and did so purposefully thinking to cast me in an ...unfavorable..light.

I'll add an LOL@ that in keeping with the spirit of our exchange and to attempt to speak in terms you may possibly understand. I bid you and your world good day.
Nah, you said it like the majority of African immigrants have experienced people getting killed over ethnic/tribal warfare over an animal. No, not even close to the majority of immigrants, not even a strong minority. Even fights over herding which are common in Nigeria and Ethiopia and have lead to conflict, are no were as pervasive in society to represent the experience of 1% of immigrants from that country. It's akin to saying the vast majority of Americans in a country don't complain when racial slurs are hurled at them because they've survived school shootings.

It's near the height of absurdity. Like I said maybe refugee communities have experienced firsthand tribal warfare. But your every day African immigrant, it simply isn't true, they've certainly heard stories of it. Just like Americans here stories of school shootings, but personally enough experienced it, no.

I've met thousands of Nigerians, many of them can tell you stories of Fulani herdsmen conflict with farmers over herding lands for their cows. Even slaughtering villages. Out of the thousands of Nigerians, I've met, I don't know one whose personally been terrorized by a Fulani herdsman. Theirs's a difference between something that's common enough to be a major problem, and something that affects a significant amount of people in real life.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:33 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
She was assuming solidarity. It didn't happen.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Lots of Indonesians have Arabic surnames. I agree they largely don't, but millions of them do.
Regardless. The odds that the guy(Ali Akram) isn't from the Middle-East is probably one in a million. Not that it matters anyway.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This is because "some" (not all by a stretch) black Americans walk around with a chip on their shoulder and are very racist against pretty much everyone not black American. To some extent I understand, but the media and the left in this country has convinced them they are held down by everyone. This is simple a lie in today's world.
How many Black people do you know personally that you've heard express such sentiments? I can't think of any other group quicker to express forgiveness to people who have wrong them (us) than Black people.

Here's the truth: the media has convinced you that most of us walk around the way you describe when the truth of the matter is that the majority of Black Americans live in mundane suburban and rural areas going about their mundane lives not bothering anybody and have gotten tired of the same people who have repeatedly refused to live, worship, learn, socialize, etc. with us as fellow citizens then turn around and act as though they actually know us when they actually do nothing more than rely on news media depictions and stereotypes to inform their horribly subhuman opinions of us. People who claim to decry identity politics and the constant mention of race in common discourse as being divisive on one hand are the same ones who are quick to make retorts about "Black on Black crime" and "Baltimore and Chicago" and justify fleeing their neighborhoods after a few Black families moved in. I don't know if we'll ever have the luxury of being viewed as individuals or only in exclusively negative ways collectively in my lifetime, and I'm not inclined to think so as the very social fabric of America was built on the racialization of Black people which, as this post proves, makes no provision for us to distinguish ourselves by any other means. Whether we're upper class, middle class, Democrat, Republican, independent, working class, ex-felon, nonoffender, employed, nonemployed, Christian, Muslim, spiritualist, Hispanic, gay, bi, straight, Southern, Northern, etc.--with the exception of celebrities/well-known individuals of national stature, we'll always be Black first and foremost and if we're lucky, some people will take the time to find out what makes us individuals. It's the height of irony that Black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, who wouldn't even have the freedom to come here and $#%& on the very same people whose struggle bought and paid for that freedom, do the same thing to us Black Americans without considering that the same thing won't be done to them when they have the same physical characteristics as us. But their kids come to have quite a different take on matters as their lives unfold on these shores and what they see with their own eyes doesn't exactly line up with the popular news media narrative concerning Black Americans and before long, they'll be living life and making babies with us without missing a beat. At least we see that same thing beginning to play out among members of younger generations of different races and I hope it continues well into their adulthoods.

Quote:
White people are largely responsible for ending slavery not only in the US but around the world. Let me repeat - white people are largely responsible for ENDING slavery. It was not black Africans who felt bad for selling their own, it was white people in various regions of the world. The anti-slavery generations of white people realized it was wrong and fought to end it.
Black people in the U.S. were the ones largely responsible for ensuring our own liberation because no one else was going to do it and indeed, no one else did. Slavery was only ended on paper and even then not totally since the exception clause of the 13th amendment resulted in a resurrection of slavery but under another name, i.e. convict leasing. Ending slavery did not result in the actual liberation and total autonomy of the people enslaved. The Civil War was fought to preserve the Union first and foremost and prevent the expansion of chattel slavery, which had obviously become an unsustainable Ponzi scheme and a drag on the industrial North, into new U.S. territories and not to end slavery because Northerners found religion concerning the matter. This isn't to discard the moral and religious rationales of White abolitionists and anti-slavery activists, but as always, the major impetus was economic in nature. Had the reasons been primarily moral or religious in nature, Reconstruction couldn't have been discarded so easily and quickly with new and and even more lethal oppressive systems in addition to convict leasing, namely Black codes, Jim Crow, vigilante racist terrorism, promptly filling the void left by slavery. That's also why "40 Acres and a Mule" was a joke of a promise from the start that Sherman couldn't or wouldn't enforce once plantation owners returned after the war and reclaimed their land.

The Civil Rights Movement was all about Black Americans finally securing the rights that were supposed to have been granted to us by the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments, passed after the Civil War and which Democrats and Republicans colluded to snatch from us with the Compromise of 1877 which ended Reconstruction and put the formerly enslaved right back at the mercy of their former masters. The Union didn't take up arms because they were animated by a valiant, righteous cause; they did it the South forced its hand and there were literally no other options on the table. The Union wasn't even concerned with acting like victors and just let the South write the history, erect monuments, and control the postwar narrative. But we're taking that of that last unfinished matter too as the ones most invested in our own liberation.

If there's any chip on our shoulder, it's not towards individuals of different races but towards an unjust past that hasn't been truly reckoned with, the zero sum game lens that our advancements are viewed through and subsequently fought against, and massive willful ignorance our basic humanity, our resilience, our creativity, and even our (perplexing) patriotism that has arguably made us the most American of all. There will be plenty pf Black Americans victoriously wrapped in American flags this summer and adding to the country's embarrassingly high medal count in Tokyo. It would be nice if that were the image that comes to mind for the masses when Black Americans are mentioned from here on out.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:56 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That has nothing to do with the fact that this person could have been of Caribbean or Hispanic background (or even African). She and her brother are from Brooklyn for crying out loud. You people take every chance to lash out at African-Americans. So much animosity...it’s weird
I completely agree with you, this is a construct of the culture, media and government.

The issue here is that when the words "hate crime" pop up....the media has us indoctrinated to black\white or white\LGBT....with a sprinkling of whites doing bad things to muslims, asians or hispanics.

Basically, you can be a black serial killer targeting old white guys and not make national news...but "Karen" can make national news for calling cops on a BBQ, yelling at someone and so forth.

Here are the official definitions.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ucr/hate-crime

Please, click on this link and look at the categories. They have ONE category for black but nine for orientation\gender.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I’m African and that’s not even true of Africa let alone the Caribbean. Now Somali and South Sudanese refugee communities might have some sort of experience with ethnic and tribal warfare. But their not even near the majority of African immigrants (Ethiopians+Ghanaians+Nigerians+Kenyans+South Africans+Egyptians) largely do not have any experience similar to that.
Ha, yes, in London, the Senegalese cab driver who took us to the airport told us that his relatives in the USA wanted him to visit but he was too afraid to ever go to America because everyone has guns and they are always shooting one another.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:30 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Just because they assaulted her, and called her a n*gga doesn't mean that they hate black people. They just may hate her.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:12 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
She is surprised?

Blacks committ the most hate crimes per capita. It has been this way for years.

So where does she get it is some white Anglo thing only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies