Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 05:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Did Disney lie about what she said?
They said it was abhorrent and antisemitic.

While abhorrence is in the eye of the beholder, it's not antisemitic in the least. At worst it may be considered badly worded by missing one word from one sentence.

Her opening sentence
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…. even by children."

This may be interpreted by the ridiculously pedantic as "Nazi soldiers never beat Jews in the street", however the subsequent text implies this is in the beginnings of persecution, before the Nazi government openly oppressed Jewish (and other classes of) people.

The missing word is 'only'
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not only by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…. even by children."

With that one word (in bold and red) even the most pedantic reader could never interpret it as anything offensive.

Yeah I'd rate it pants-on-fire.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:04 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
It's getting to the point where your employers can fire you for having any opinion that they don't like. Scary. I avoid posting anything political or controversial or anything about race on my social media because employers have the power to fire you over it. We've all said things in the heat of the moment or things we maybe shouldn't have said at times, but do people deserve to have their lives ruined over it? I don't think so. It's real scary. I only post memes on my Facebook, the
Fact that they can fire you for posting anything on social media they don't like is awful. it's scary as hell where this society and country is headed. Having the wrong opinion or views in this PC society gets you fired.
I never met a boss who thought my opinion was equal to theirs. I have been told, "there is only one opinion here that matters."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 06:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Sorry, Gina. There are consequences for saying stupid stuff on the internet. You might feel like people do not like your opinions, but it’s a far cry from how we Jews were treated by the Germans.

It’s a shame, I liked her on The Mandalorian.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ia-controversy
She was right. Read a history book.

That you can't see it is exactly why she said it. We're headed somewhere very, very dark, and the people taking us there are oblivious. Your post is actually proof that she's right, yet you still can't see it.

PLEASE, read a history book.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
They said it was abhorrent and antisemitic.

While abhorrence is in the eye of the beholder, it's not antisemitic in the least. At worst it may be considered badly worded by missing one word from one sentence.

Her opening sentence
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…. even by children."

This may be interpreted by the ridiculously pedantic as "Nazi soldiers never beat Jews in the street", however the subsequent text implies this is in the beginnings of persecution, before the Nazi government openly oppressed Jewish (and other classes of) people.

The missing word is 'only'
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not only by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…. even by children."

With that one word (in bold and red) even the most pedantic reader could never interpret it as anything offensive.

Yeah I'd rate it pants-on-fire.
Seems to me that both "abhorrent" and "anti-Semitic" are matters of opinion.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Seems to me that both "abhorrent" and "anti-Semitic" are matters of opinion.

If you can point out exactly where Carano's statements were antisemitic then we can discuss.

Invoking Hitchens law, and dismissing your argument.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Employers can DO WHAT THEY WANT. There are no worker protections anymore but no one wants to address that little fact.
try firing anyone for being a member of a 'protected' minority group, then come back and ponder how stupid your bolded statement is.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:32 AM

1,958 posts, read 702,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I never met a boss who thought my opinion was equal to theirs. I have been told, "there is only one opinion here that matters."
I guess you miss his point, or you are brainwashed already.
For instance, you posted in your personal Twitter account that apple was good for you, and your boss fired you because he loved orange. Was it ok?

Old 02-14-2021, 08:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If you can point out exactly where Carano's statements were antisemitic then we can discuss.

Invoking Hitchens law, and dismissing your argument.

Not my claim to defend, so I'll pass.

I've made no "argument" - simply pointed out that both metrics cited in Disney's statement are subjective.

Have a great Sunday.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Not my claim to defend, so I'll pass.

I've made no "argument" - simply pointed out that both metrics cited in Disney's statement are subjective.

Have a great Sunday.
If by subjective you mean repeating historical fact is now potentially sensitive, racist, antisemitic, sure.

That's going to be tough on people working in education, history, or historical monuments. Since discussing slavery in the South will clearly be racist, discussing women's suffrage is clearly sexist, and obviously Yad Vashem is antisemitic.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-14-2021 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
try firing anyone for being a member of a 'protected' minority group, then come back and ponder how stupid your bolded statement is.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies