Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 03:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

The Federal government is just making up inflation numbers of thin air for propoganda purposes.

A vast majority of Americans love it when the government economists lie because they can have a zero-interest rate policy in a hyper-inflationary environment.

This whole cherade is very interesting. The United States is like a person who is a 500 pound wrinkled old prune in a $50,000 silk and diamond enrusted dress struting around like a supermodel.

They manipulate a fake formula where the inflation rate is about 1% year over year.

They have to flat out lie because the fiat money economy would collapse otherwise.

Anyone who questions these made up numbers is a "cynical debbie downer", "should have known better and leveraged to hilt on real estate" or "should have bought oil future"

CPI says fuel oil down 16.5%, yet a barrel of oil has gone from $50 in February 2020 to $60 today. Barrel of oil is up 20% year over year.

CPI says cost of shelter gone up 1.6% year over year, when National Association of Realtors says 14.9%

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.t01.htm

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...2021-02-11.pdf

Last edited by lovecrowds; 02-12-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:49 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
CPI says cost of shelter gone up 1.6% year over year, when National Association of Realtors says 14.9%
1.6%?

Do they really think anybody will believe that?

Edit: But look at used the Used cars and trucks line. It's up 10%. I believe that figure. Since Covid, people are being more careful with their dollars. Used car and truck prices have gone up noticeably.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:00 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
1.6%?

Do they really think anybody will believe that?

Edit: But look at used the Used cars and trucks line. It's up 10%. I believe that figure. Since Covid, people are being more careful with their dollars. Used car and truck prices have gone up noticeably.
Used prices might be up due to lack of supply. This is the deadest market I've ever seen in my life. No one is selling their stuff.

Except houses.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The Federal government is just making up inflation numbers of thin air for propoganda purposes.

A vast majority of Americans love it when the government economists lie because they can have a zero-interest rate policy in a hyper-inflationary environment.

...gobbledygook...

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.t01.htm

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...2021-02-11.pdf
Let me dumb this down for you, under the assumption you are sincere.

My cost of shelter went down last year. My insurance was unchanged, my mortgage was unchanged, and because of a property tax eval/rate recalc, my property taxes actually decreased.

There are approximately 90MM homeowners in the US. It is quite possible their "cost of shelter" also didn't rise significantly. There's about 120MM total households in the US. So, the increase in cost of all those renters would have to be huge - in a pandemic - to move the needle.

Now, there were (spitballing) 6MM existing homes sold last year. The median price of that little 10% of total homes owned that were sold last year increased 14.9%.

I can't speak definitively to your oil barrel example except to say none of us buy it by the crude barrel, we buy it by the refined gallon.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:35 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
I refinanced and dropped my housing costs significantly. Money for nothin' rates.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:29 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
This thread is very relevant.

Will (higher than usual inflation) happen?

Can the Fed raise interest rates? If so, how much? Result?

If inflation happens and the Fed does NOT raise interest rates, what will be the result?

Old 04-06-2021, 09:02 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Let me dumb this down for you, under the assumption you are sincere.

My cost of shelter went down last year. My insurance was unchanged, my mortgage was unchanged, and because of a property tax eval/rate recalc, my property taxes actually decreased.

There are approximately 90MM homeowners in the US. It is quite possible their "cost of shelter" also didn't rise significantly. There's about 120MM total households in the US. So, the increase in cost of all those renters would have to be huge - in a pandemic - to move the needle.

Now, there were (spitballing) 6MM existing homes sold last year. The median price of that little 10% of total homes owned that were sold last year increased 14.9%.

I can't speak definitively to your oil barrel example except to say none of us buy it by the crude barrel, we buy it by the refined gallon.
What he/she said...plus.

The calculation method was quietly changed by both President Clinton and Carter to reduce the impact of housing costs on the CPI numbers.

Where were you 20 and 40 years ago??

Most economists still believe that inflation is OVERSTATED. However, the Bureau of Labor Statistics does come up with different CPI indexes for different groups.

If I remember correctly, the only group for which inflation, is UNDERSTATED is seniors.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:05 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Used prices might be up due to lack of supply. This is the deadest market I've ever seen in my life. No one is selling their stuff.

Except houses.

Probably because they know few will pay what it's worth. People only want your stuff if you are damn near giving it away, or selling something truly unique, rare, etc. If you do have something desirable to sell, expect to be inundated with requests to sell for 50% less than what it's worth, just because. Who wants to deal with that hassle and wasted time, just to receive some perpetually declining fiat currency? Most people are probably better served hanging on to their stuff, since so many things tend to get more valuable with time.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,826 times
The CPI is permanently rigged to show 2% inflation or less. The government has every incentive to understate the rate of price increases caused by inflation. Trusting the government to put out honest statistics on inflation is like trusting the mafia to put out honest statistics on crime.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:17 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
This thread is very relevant.

Will (higher than usual inflation) happen?

Can the Fed raise interest rates? If so, how much? Result?

If inflation happens and the Fed does NOT raise interest rates, what will be the result?
A higher rate of interest to fight inflation would immediately cause a cascade of bankruptcies and defaults, leading to a deflationary spiral and collapse. The Fed is powerless to fight inflation- it can only relent to inflation whilst pretending like it isn't happening. No central banker today has the pain tolerance of a Paul Volker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies