Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 10:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times

Advertisements

I have no student loans, but I have other debt. Do I get some of that absolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 02:12 AM

24,618 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Biden is now fully backtracking on any debt forgiveness for the time being, yikes.
Quote:
Speaking to reporters at the daily briefing Wednesday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden planned to hold off on making any decisions on student loan debt executive action until his appointees at the Justice Department have a chance to review the issue. There is no immediate time frame on that legal review process
Quote:
White House officials said Wednesday that Biden’s reference to writing off $10,000 of loan forgiveness was not meant as a descriptor for executive action but to reflect his endorsement of achieving that goal through legislation, which he has not yet proposed.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...s-biden-469677

Sorry liberals, that buyers remorse came quickly. Those empty promises are stacking up fast.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:42 AM

4,900 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Well another case of a “poor decision with an equally poor outcome” and topped off with a scope of “it’s not my fault, I’m the real victim.” Yeah, the victim of your own stupidity... Looking for a free hand-out.

And being a “Hispanic female” had nothing to do with being under employed... In today’s global market, who would think that a Liberal Arts degree, if that what she had, would open up the flood gates to a six figure job??

Seriously, you don’t need a college degree to figure out that this was a bad move and on a side-note, liberals are always in full support of the globalization of our economy... Until they see that they screwed themselves... Again.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:50 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
All in just two paragraphs, it explains how disconnected these Leftists are from their problem and what they think is the cause of their problem.

So she made a a bad personal choice to spend $170K on a worthless degree from a suspect institution and now she blames her failing to get a high paying job because she thinks it’s because she is “Hispanic and a woman.”

Hint: it’s been known for sometime now that there really aren’t that much demand for art /liberal arts degrees from second rate colleges. She was lucky she even made $28,000 last year. It isn’t because you were Hispanic and a woman.

If you had a degree in a field that was in demand, you would have been snatched up quickly by many companies since now many are so hungry for woman and minority applicants.
I'm torn on this. On one hand she made a bad choice. On the other hand she's trying. A good middle ground may be to restore the bankruptcy discharge to those whose loans have been due for seven years or five years. That way someone can't just bankrupt themselves when they graduate and almost by definition have no property or money, but the truly needy can get relief. Someone whose career is up and running won't want to file, trust me on that.

I am a bankruptcy lawyer.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:39 AM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So only leftists have student loans.

In what world do you live in?
Conservatives believe THEY should pay back their student loans. Only leftists think everyone else should pay for their loans.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:41 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Conservatives believe THEY should pay back their student loans. Only leftists think everyone else should pay for their loans.
Stop spreading fake news. There's no group of people in large numbers that are not paying back their student loans on time. The vast majority are making timely payments.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:42 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I suggested a middle ground, two posts above. Why is that ignored? I'll repost it for ease of reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A good middle ground may be to restore the bankruptcy discharge to those whose loans have been due for seven years or five years. That way someone can't just bankrupt themselves when they graduate and almost by definition have no property or money, but the truly needy can get relief. Someone whose career is up and running won't want to file, trust me on that.

I am a bankruptcy lawyer.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Stop spreading fake news. There's no group of people in large numbers that are not paying back their student loans on time. The vast majority are making timely payments.
False as usual. Even if leftists like you are actually paying back student loans, they would gladly take some government cheese, i.e. a handout from other taxpayers.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
That indicates there's no reason whatsoever to forgive $10,000 let alone $50,000 worth of student loan debt. The vast majority are making timely payments.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suggested a middle ground, two posts above. Why is that ignored? I'll repost it for ease of reference:

I could go along with something like that.

I've been fortunate enough to make enough money to pay back (almost) $50K in student loans. I'm on my last $15K, so maybe Dopey Joe will take care of $10K of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies