Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 07:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,517,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Stop spreading fake news. There's no group of people in large numbers that are not paying back their student loans on time. The vast majority are making timely payments.
So if the vast majority are making timely payments, why not allow them to continue to do so - and honor their contractual obligations, rather than expecting high-school educated workers to pay off a portion of loans for accountants, architects, engineers, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 07:52 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suggested a middle ground, two posts above. Why is that ignored? I'll repost it for ease of reference:
I could go along with something like that.

I've been fortunate enough to make enough money to pay back (almost) $50K in student loans. I'm on my last $15K, so maybe Dopey Joe will take care of $10K of that.
The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 provided for a five-year period from when a student loan first became payable before it could be discharged. The Bankruptcy Amendments and Federal Judgeship Act of 1984 raised that to seven years. I forget whether 1994 or 2005 legislation expanded the period to a permanent one unless there was "hardship" such as becoming blind. My suggestion would be to restore the 1984 state of affairs.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I suggested a middle ground, two posts above. Why is that ignored? I'll repost it for ease of reference:

I ignored it because I didn’t like the idea, but since you asked....

All it will do is encourage people five years out to shirk the remainder of their loans. When I was 26, I was still renting an apartment and had a few thousand dollars in my savings accounts. Now....I didn’t actually have any loans....but if I had borrowed, say, $40,000, and had “made good” on the first $15,000, what would keep me from simply crying “bankruptcy!” and from letting other people pay off the remainder of $25,000?

You can’t repossesses a college education. I say people pay their loans off. If they are running into temporary trouble, they can put the loan into forbearance; if their earnings are low, they can go with an income-adjusted repayment schedule.

I don’t think it’s right to force secretaries, assistant managers at Walmart, salesmen at the furniture store, car mechanics, and the like to pay off loans of accountants, computer programmers, journalists*, etc., etc.

*Especially the ones at CNN - ick!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I ignored it because I didn’t like the idea, but since you asked....

All it will do is encourage people five years out to shirk the remainder of their loans. When I was 26, I was still renting an apartment and had a few thousand dollars in my savings accounts. Now....I didn’t actually have any loans....but if I had borrowed, say, $40,000, and had “made good” on the first $15,000, what would keep me from simply crying “bankruptcy!” and from letting other people pay off the remainder of $25,000?

You can’t repossesses a college education. I say people pay their loans off. If they are running into temporary trouble, they can put the loan into forbearance; if their earnings are low, they can go with an income-adjusted repayment schedule.

I don’t think it’s right to force secretaries, assistant managers at Walmart, salesmen at the furniture store, car mechanics, and the like to pay off loans of accountants, computer programmers, journalists*, etc., etc.

*Especially the ones at CNN - ick!
That's why I suggested seven years. But the reasoning is that bankruptcy may negatively impact on their credit for ten years. 22 (at graduation) + 7 (for nondischargeabiliity) + 10 (on credit reports) = 39. Most people don't want that kind of disruption if they can avoid it. And it's till later for those to go on to business, law, medical or other graduate school.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:11 AM

4,407 posts, read 1,709,172 times
Quote:
False as usual. Even if leftists like you are actually paying back student loans, they would gladly take some government cheese, i.e. a handout from other taxpayers.
Honestly, who the hell wouldn't? How many of us leave tax deductions off of our income taxes? How many of us who got stimulus checks sent them back to the government? This is a silly argument.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I could go along with something like that.

I've been fortunate enough to make enough money to pay back (almost) $50K in student loans. I'm on my last $15K, so maybe Dopey Joe will take care of $10K of that.
So I guess it's not just leftists who would willingly take that "government cheese" after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend
False as usual. Even if leftists like you are actually paying back student loans, they would gladly take some government cheese, i.e. a handout from other taxpayers.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's why I suggested seven years. But the reasoning is that bankruptcy may negatively impact on their credit for ten years. 22 (at graduation) + 7 (for nondischargeabiliity) + 10 (on credit reports) = 39. Most people don't want that kind of disruption if they can avoid it. And it's till later for those to go on to business, law, medical or other graduate school.

This is actually a pretty good deterrent. Plus, it actually takes money to file for bankruptcy, and people often don't even have the money to do that. And there are probably jobs that these graduates wouldn't be able to accept if they had a bankruptcy on their credit report.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Oh, I skimmed too quickly - I thought you were suggesting we drop to 5 years.

I’m still not a fan. Other people will be absorbing the costs of the loans.

Maybe we should just extend forbearance. (Not sure how long it runs.) If someone is 29, and struggling with repayment (even after taking advantage of income-based repayment), I’d be OK with them putting their loans into forbearance for up to 3 years. At that point, they’d be 32, and 10 years out of college.

If at that point they STILL haven’t been able to get and hold a job that allows a college graduate to honor their financial obligations, then have their wages garnished by 2% (so someone with a so-so job paying $50,000 would pay a measly $1000 a year). That would continue until age 45, when all remaining is forgiven.

I think we need to be hard on this. Let kids (and their parents) think twice about taking out loans beginning with freshman year. As I’ve said elsewhere on this thread, most* people who need to borrow large sums of money for university (and aren’t able to win academic scholarships) should begin their first two years at community college, and then transfer.

*This wouldn’t work for some very challenging majors, like engineering. But for those who major in more “regular” fields, the first two years of community college would be fine.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:27 AM

6,701 posts, read 3,000,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
This is actually a pretty good deterrent. Plus, it actually takes money to file for bankruptcy, and people often don't even have the money to do that. And there are probably jobs that these graduates wouldn't be able to accept if they had a bankruptcy on their credit report.
I don't see how that just isn't kicking the ball down to a later time.

If they are complaining about paying back their loans now then they'll definitely be complaining about how Bankruptcy is destroying their credit and opportunities and want forgiveness for that too.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:32 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,820,848 times
Quote:
You liberals always like to spread fake news. Everyone would take free payouts. Look at how your liberal President handed out checks for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies