Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 05:18 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most kids have no idea what profession they want to go into, although some do. Community colleges are really the best way to start out.
First time you and I have agreed on anything!

Yes, for students who would otherwise need to borrow to start at a four-year, it’s better to start at a CC. (I hear parents cry that “oh, they’ll miss out in the college experience,” but they’re asking taxpayers to pay for their kids” college experience!)

1) Plenty of very successful people started at CC - including a couple of famous astronauts and a Supreme Court Justice.

2) And it’s not just that they’d be saving the cost of the first two years at university; if they are decent students and get a B average, most state universities offer partial scholarships to transfers. So you not only eliminated university tuition for the first two years, you’ve reduced it - sometimes by half - for the next two years,

3) Most majors have very similar basic classes and requirements (apart from their specific major courses): English, math, usually a foreign language, a science class, etc., etc. If money for tuition isn’t there (and people wanting taxpayers to pick up the cost means it is), then you might as well get the intro courses on the cheap at CC.

The only caveat is that you must coordinate with a transfer advisor at the start of CC to make sure all the classes you take are transferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 05:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Yes, for students who would otherwise need to borrow to start at a four-year, it’s better to start at a CC. (I hear parents cry that “oh, they’ll miss out in the college experience,” but they’re asking taxpayers to pay for their kids” college experience!)

1) Plenty of very successful people started at CC - including a couple of famous astronauts and a Supreme Court Justice.

2) And it’s not just that they’d be saving the cost of the first two years at university; if they are decent students and get a B average, most state universities offer partial scholarships to transfers. So you not only eliminated university tuition for the first two years, you’ve reduced it - sometimes by half - for the next two years,

3) Most majors have very similar basic classes and requirements (apart from their specific major courses): English, math, usually a foreign language, a science class, etc., etc. If money for tuition isn’t there (and people wanting taxpayers to pick up the cost means it is), then you might as well get the intro courses on the cheap at CC.

The only caveat is that you must coordinate with a transfer advisor at the start of CC to make sure all the classes you take are transferable.
Also, if someone doesn’t have the academic chops to continue they can stop there and then potentially shift to a trade or job that only needs a certificate.

Not everyone should go to college. In Europe, where university is “free”, you need to qualify. So universal free college for anyone who wishes to go will only water down the credibility of schools for those who earned the right to go.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:39 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I agree that not everyone should go to college. I feel like college is a thing that people try to force on themselves. I went to college at 18 like everyone else because my parents basically made me go. I probably wasn't ready. At 26 I then went to grad school because I felt like I had to. My job at the time paid for some of it, I paid the rest. I was lucky enough to not have loans. I think many people feel college is something they have to do to be successful not matter what the situation is. This mindset needs to stop. And it should be possible to get a good job without having a degree. We all know people who have been successful without a degree but to get an interview at most places these days they don't even give you a chance if you don't have a degree.

This country has too many people with degrees and not enough jobs. No one wants the jobs that don't require you to have a degree anymore. This is the reason for so much student debt and why universities can charge what they do. In the end so many degrees are not needed and people gain experience through the performing a job they got because they had that piece of paper. The answer is to realize that a degree is not as valuable as we've thought it is.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:40 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Also, if someone doesn’t have the academic chops to continue they can stop there and then potentially shift to a trade or job that only needs a certificate.

Not everyone should go to college. In Europe, where university is “free”, you need to qualify. So universal free college for anyone who wishes to go will only water down the credibility of schools for those who earned the right to go.
What do you need to have in order to qualify?

Old 02-17-2021, 05:47 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What do you need to have in order to qualify?
In Europe? They require certain test scores and GPAs. Those who don't meet the minimum don't qualify.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:54 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Absolutely. Better to find out you’re not college material in CC where it’s affordable than university where you have to borrow and end up in debt.

Only about 60% of entering freshman graduate from college within six years (not four), and the rest have dropped out with half-finished degrees and a ton of debt. I wonder what the graduation rate is for students who transferred from a CC (after completing an AA degree). I’m sure much higher.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:42 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I had to laugh at all the people bellyaching and crying about Biden backtracking on these sort of things. Many of us knew people like him are full of empty and hollow promises to get elected, then backtrack right away. I guarantee he's not going to forgive $10K in student loans either, and good.

Biden on cancelling $50,000 in student debt: ‘I will not make that happen’

Quote:
President Joe Biden shot down a proposal to cancel $50,000 in student loan debt for every borrower Tuesday, despite pressure from leading Democratic lawmakers to do just that.

During a CNN town hall Tuesday evening, an audience member told Biden that student debt is “crushing” her friends, family and fellow Americans.

“We need student loan forgiveness beyond the potential $10,000 your administration has proposed,” she said. “We need at least a $50,000 minimum. What will you do to make that happen?”

“I will not make that happen,” Biden responded.

The exchange came roughly two weeks after Democratic Senators Chuck Schumer and Elizabeth Warren reintroduced a resolution calling on Biden to cancel up to $50,000 in student loan debt per borrower. Biden has proposed cancelling $10,000 in student debt as part of coronavirus relief. He’s expressed doubt about discharging more, and about whether he should be the one to do it instead of Congress.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:47 AM

4,393 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:

I think I agree overall with everything here. There are a few things to watch out for if you start at a CC though. You listed one, about making sure your credits transfer. Another thing to keep an eye on is that you get in and get out as fast as you can if you plan on going on to university. Students who start at CC sometimes end up staying for years too long (especially if they are minorities), so I always encourage the students I work with to come up with a plan, stick to it, and get in/get out. Third, I would recommend they find out where they plan on going next as soon as they can, and pick their CC classes accordingly. Even if it is the same major, some universities will require different classed, due to programs being impacted.

Overall, I think CC is a great option, even for people who have no plans on moving on to university.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I had to laugh at all the people bellyaching and crying about Biden backtracking on these sort of things. Many of us knew people like him are full of empty and hollow promises to get elected, then backtrack right away. I guarantee he's not going to forgive $10K in student loans either, and good.

Biden on cancelling $50,000 in student debt: ‘I will not make that happen’
As far as I can remember, Biden never promised $50,000. He doesn't think he has the authority to do that. He promised $10,000. If he reneges on that, then yeah, he didn't follow through on his promise. I think Schumer/AOC/Warren are the $50,000 people. I don't think they are giving up either, but we'll see.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. Better to find out you’re not college material in CC where it’s affordable than university where you have to borrow and end up in debt.

Only about 60% of entering freshman graduate from college within six years (not four), and the rest have dropped out with half-finished degrees and a ton of debt. I wonder what the graduation rate is for students who transferred from a CC (after completing an AA degree). I’m sure much higher.
I think the better way to compare graduation rates is to compare how many students who started in CC graduate from university in 4 years, and I would bet that the rates would be much worse for the CC students. But as you pointed out, much better to drop out paying CC rates than drop out paying University rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies