Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Once again, FACTs trounce the speculation of the 'probablies'!
Yep. I have a Dan Wesson Pointman 7. Absolutely great quality. I am a 1911 guy and always will be. I love the Dan Wesson made by CZ.

Colts are in deed nice but much like John Deere you pay for the name.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s true too. As good as a Smitty wheelguns are, a Python is basically the next level between that and a Korth revolver. But that’s just not where the market is. Gotta have a good polymer frame auto pistol to be “relevant” today. Preferably double stack and small, too.

Springfield imported one from Croatia - sold as the XD, and my fav modern pistol - and S&W has the M&P line. Colt should have done the same. I think Colt got discouraged after the 2000 All American, as half-baked as it was. They clearly know how to do better and just haven’t.

It’s also clear that stamping out guns for the government isn’t profitable enough either. In this climate, Colt should be raking in cash and be able to have so much that they can throw it on a cash fire and still be okay. I’m still hoping somebody picks up the Hudson H9 designs and runs with them.
I was thinking the same thing, Colt needed to do what S&W did with branching out into the autoloaders more and also try to sell to local police agencies again. I also seem to remember Colt was expecting a bigger contract with the military for M16/M4s and didn't get it. Relying on a big government contracts can be an all or nothing, make it or break it proposition.

I really do like the Colt revolvers especially the old time ones. I think before about 1968 if I recall correctly, all Colt revolvers were made basically like the Python design just not as polished and as finely hand fitted. The more simpler and lower cost revolver lockwork of later Colts and S&Ws have their value and so do polymer autoloaders but I still have an appreciation for the old Colts and the Python and the old watchmaker like mechanical craftsmanship at a fair price.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:40 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The funny thing is arguably the best revolvers were made the way they made them before the 1980s and 1970s. But apparently the market changed and most people wanted Glock derivate polymer autoloaders and didn't want to pay for what it cost make guns like the old Colts.
Having the best product in a decreasing market is never a happy place. Particularly with long-lasting items.

If I may be pardoned for digressing into motorcycles again, I like to hold up Ducati as an example of a shop that realized this and successfully reinvented themselves. They were making expensive, gorgeous, high-end motorcycles - track bikes just this side of street legal - uncomfortable and impractical, absurdly well handling. They would still be beat by more powerful, yet much cheaper, Japanese bikes.

So they reinvented themselves. Took off the plastic, put the gorgeous frame and engine on display, changed to a more upright position and gave the entire thing a dash of retro leather & paint - presto, the Ducati Monster. Just the thing for parking outside the cafe. Sold like hotcakes, rescued the company, and they veered into other territory - touring, off-road - with considerable success.

Adapt or die. The people who made the world's best buggy whips still went out of business.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Having the best product in a decreasing market is never a happy place. Particularly with long-lasting items.

If I may be pardoned for digressing into motorcycles again, I like to hold up Ducati as an example of a shop that realized this and successfully reinvented themselves. They were making expensive, gorgeous, high-end motorcycles - track bikes just this side of street legal - uncomfortable and impractical, absurdly well handling. They would still be beat by more powerful, yet much cheaper, Japanese bikes.

So they reinvented themselves. Took off the plastic, put the gorgeous frame and engine on display, changed to a more upright position and gave the entire thing a dash of retro leather & paint - presto, the Ducati Monster. Just the thing for parking outside the cafe. Sold like hotcakes, rescued the company, and they veered into other territory - touring, off-road - with considerable success.

Adapt or die. The people who made the world's best buggy whips still went out of business.
I don't disagree. It's just sometimes I don't like to see some things go by the wayside or die off. You brought up another mechanical thing I admire lol. I really like 90 degree V-twins. My brother bought a new Ducati Monster 797 a few years ago and it's a fun bike. Suzuki has its copy but Yamaha and others have the cheaper to make 270 degree inline twin that sort of feels, sounds like a 90 degree V-twin and are selling better. I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki eventually stops making the V-Twin and goes to a 270 twin .. And then there is electric motorcycles. Sometimes I hate change haha.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:03 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. It's just sometimes I don't like to see some things go by the wayside or die off.
I hear ya. I like steam engines and sailing ships, so...

Old 02-16-2021, 09:21 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Financially, Colt has been the KMart of firearms for decades..dying.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:27 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
This sale was probably due to Democrats having plans to allow shooting victims to sue the gun manufacturers and that will be the end of people making firearms in America.

https://justthenews.com/nation/longt...rearms-company
Are you in hiding?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Opening up gun manufacturers to be liable when their product is misused is going to open up the flood gates of litigation to every business that makes any product.

.....snipped......
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
While the above is true, if Dems succeed in allowing manufacturers to be sued for misuse of their product, it will open the floodgates to all kinds of ridiculous lawsuits and may well be the end of American manufacturers if not stopped.
Already been done. Piper Aircraft Corporation under "joint and several liability". A plane crashed, back in the 60's, 70's (?) and people died. The lawyers went all the way back to the manufacturer, regardless of what kind of maintenance, problems or whatever happened from the time the plane was manufactured to the date of the crash and sued the manufacturer. And won. Deep pockets.

It was even determined to be pilot error, I think, its been a long time. It broke the back of general aviation and Piper has struggled for years.

The case is still taught in law school under product liability law.

I and my husband both worked for Piper for many years and he came up through that era in managment. We draw pensions from it. I think the Saudi's did own it. Not sure.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:00 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I would not own any weapon that misfires. Dangerous to me the user since a misfire defeats the purpose for personal protection. Colt may have a famous name, but its products were questionable.
A good Republican would buy a reliable weapon, regardless of manufacture. Afterall, its your life and your family's lives that you protection, isn't it?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, Colt needed to do what S&W did with branching out into the autoloaders more and also try to sell to local police agencies again. I also seem to remember Colt was expecting a bigger contract with the military for M16/M4s and didn't get it. Relying on a big government contracts can be an all or nothing, make it or break it proposition.

I really do like the Colt revolvers especially the old time ones. I think before about 1968 if I recall correctly, all Colt revolvers were made basically like the Python design just not as polished and as finely hand fitted. The more simpler and lower cost revolver lockwork of later Colts and S&Ws have their value and so do polymer autoloaders but I still have an appreciation for the old Colts and the Python and the old watchmaker like mechanical craftsmanship at a fair price.
Yeah. Things change and Colt didn’t keep up. That’s on them. I wish another American firm had picked it up. That’s on us.

But as I said before, they could be in far worse hands than the Czechs. Ideally, we’ll get Czech gun engineering (historically generally excellent) with Colt branding, and Colt will someday get spun off again. Hopefully. Colt knows damn well how to make a good firearm.

That’s me being optimistic...mostly because if you ask me what country does good guns which is off the immediate (non-gun culture) radar, the Czechs are pretty much my first response. Colt shouldn’t need it, but apparently they do at least need the shock of fresh ownership to follow through.

I will say that as a watch nerd, gun craftsmanship doesn’t come close to watchmaking that’s just me being a nerd though. I get what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies