Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 04:16 AM

26,540 posts, read 15,111,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
Sounds like something written by PragerU...
I have 2 degrees in history and no, this is an established fact. The British North American colonies only got about 4% of all slaves shipped to the new world, but wound up with the most slaves, because the sugar and rice plantations in the Caribbean and Brazil worked people to death in dangerous conditions. You could trade African kings for slaves so cheaply that slaves were replaceable. Also, the US cut out the African slave trade (the importation of new slaves) earlier than most for part of the reason that US slaves weren't dying at massive rates like to the south.

Slavery is evil period so this isn't justifying slavery in the US or saying that there weren't brutal treatment of slaves in the US, it is just being honest about math and statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 06:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,187,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I have 2 degrees in history and no, this is an established fact. The British North American colonies only got about 4% of all slaves shipped to the new world, but wound up with the most slaves, because the sugar and rice plantations in the Caribbean and Brazil worked people to death in dangerous conditions. You could trade African kings for slaves so cheaply that slaves were replaceable. Also, the US cut out the African slave trade (the importation of new slaves) earlier than most for part of the reason that US slaves weren't dying at massive rates like to the south.

Slavery is evil period so this isn't justifying slavery in the US or saying that there weren't brutal treatment of slaves in the US, it is just being honest about math and statistics.

No. The British empire ended slavery in 1833. The French abolished slavery 3 times, with the final time being 1848. Denmark ended slavery in 1847.

The U.S. and Spain ended slavery within 2 yrs of each other, 1865 and 1867 respectively. So not much of a difference there. The only group that truly ended later was Portugal.

With regards to the Caribbean and Brazil, while the death rates were higher, there were not as many female slaves as in the U.S. The U.S. was “breeding” far more slaves on its own soil while the Caribbean and Brazil were bringing people, particularly males. The birth rate for U.S. enslaved women was 9 children which was twice as many for women in the Caribbean and Brazil.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,610,157 times
Almost as if it makes it okay? REALLY!?

I am well aware the death rates in the Caribbean and LA were higher. That does not make it okay.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 AM

3,750 posts, read 1,447,073 times
I was born in the United States and my parents are from South America. I'm of biracial ancestry on both of my parents side. I also have some 23andme. My dad side paternal lineage is European, and his maternal lineage if African. My mom who is mostly European looking physically. Her maternal lineage is African. My family is from Colombia btw. My paternal lineage is Scottish. My great great great grand father is Scottish. He migrated to Colombia during the years of independence. He married a slave woman and produced a family. His kids the males ended up matting with black women, and mixed race women. While the women ended up with mixed race men or white men for preference. My mom side. My mom great grand mother is from Barbados who married a bajan white man and moved to Colombia during the end of the 19th century. Her child ended up marrying a Spaniard which gave birth to my grand mother. While my mom's father family is from Brazil and emigrated to Colombia. He was of mostly European background with some afro Brazilian Nad native ancestry. From what I can tell. These women in my ancestry were not raped by white men. However I it is safe to say that the black women in lineage preferred white or biracial mixed men to marry and produce a family with. A good example is my paternal grand father who is half white. He ended up marrying a pure black afro Colombian woman.

I have been to many places where I encounter black people. Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, Brazil, Colombia, even here in Parts of thr United States like Atlanta. Black women prefer white and or biracial mixed race men over black men. Even when I was in Dominican Republic a Haitian woman who I courted wanted me to move to Dominican Republic to be with her. Throughout the diaspora. Black women still desire white and biracial men for mating.

But what I can say is this. Slavery was much more brutal in south America and the caribbean vs the United States. Why? South America you have the brutal Amazon rain forest and the heat. Death was constant. Working in sugar and rice fields were dangerous when you breath in the shreeded products of rice and sugar which got in to your lungs. Factor in mosquitos and malaria.

Also note. That 300k slaves were imported to the 13 colonies and later the United States. Slaves here had better access to tolerable climate and better care from slave masters compared to wasteful plantations in South America.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 02-17-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 07:32 AM

3,750 posts, read 1,447,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryeht58 View Post
Who is the say that America wouldve developed into the being the same power that is today without chattel slavery?

And the enslaved were not “sold by our own African kings,” they were sold by members of rival ethnic groups, the whole “one big black” mentality didn’t exist back then.

The U.S./British 13 colonies imported about a half a million Africans, not 200,000, why are you trying to downplay the numbers? Lol, makes no sense.

This is the problem with the internet, it gives clowns a platform to vomit nonsense.
It's not half a million. It was 300k. Also most black slaves in America were first came from British islands of Jamaica and Barbados before landing in Charleston South Carolina. What I found interesting is that 300k slaves ended up becoming a 30 million blacks 300 years later. In Portugal imported 4 million slaves to Brazil and now Brazil has more blacks than many African nations. Other nations that had plenty of blacks imported via slavery have small black populations. Many blacks either died or mate's with the white or mixed race population.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Keep trying...and failing.
Bwhahaha

Old 02-17-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
It's not half a million. It was 300k. Also most black slaves in America were first came from British islands of Jamaica and Barbados before landing in Charleston South Carolina. What I found interesting is that 300k slaves ended up becoming a 30 million blacks 300 years later. In Portugal imported 4 million slaves to Brazil and now Brazil has more blacks than many African nations. Other nations that had plenty of blacks imported via slavery have small black populations. Many blacks either died or mate's with the white or mixed race population.
That’s because the mortality rate for enslaved people in South America and the Caribbean was much higher, so in order to make up for it they brought in more people, whereas in the United States they were in simple terms bred and sold in larger numbers.

The average slave woman in the US had about 10 children which was very different in the Caribbean.

It doesn’t exactly have much to do with who imported more or less, climate, or who was treated better.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Of course the NYT writer didn't mean to say this, but it is the logical conclusion from the evidence presented.

OK, but how disproportionate in the U.S. compared with elsewhere?

So black females slaves were far more likely to have children by black men than in Latin America.

And why was that?

Also...

Sounds like, on the whole, slavery was considerably less brutal in the U.S. than elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/s...-ancestry.html

https://www.unz.com/isteve/was-ameri...omment-4473797
Slavery in Latin America was indeed slavery but it was not the extreme bourgeois capitalist slavery that happened in the United States.

That’s the major difference. It was not more or less brutal in either place.

It doesn’t have to do with who was treated better or worse.

Slaves in the United States were often born as a result of forced breeding, which was not the case in Latin America. That answers your question but I’m sure that’s a discussion you don’t want to have.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:49 AM

15,869 posts, read 6,569,892 times
There was probably an economic factor at work. Slaves represented an investment, and mistreatment led to a poor return on your money. In the end it was the economic factor of the industrial revolution that ultimately led to the end of slavery; machines became more cost effective than even the low labor costs of slavery.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I haven't really dug into it but I doubt the 23andme data proves paternity let alone rape 150 plus years ago. The data shows American whites are very European in ancestry. I just find it very unlikely that white American males mated with let alone raped black women in the slave days in any significant number. Most of the white admixture in blacks happened after slavery with white female black male mating.
Many American whites aren’t even 10 or 12, let alone 5 or 6 generations in this country.

And no, most of the white admixture in blacks did not happen after slavery.

You just want to downplay the fact that many slave women were raped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies