Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:55 AM

596 posts, read 302,672 times

Advertisements

"They" as in some internet trolls that people like you seem to think reflects a population on 39 million. Again, nice Strawman. What a petty and bitter thread.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:56 AM

237 posts, read 283,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Again, let me remind you how they smiled and smirked when our fire season had us at the mercy of Donald Trump, and they used it to diminish us in the eyes of the rest of the nation while propping themselves up as some beacon of paradise where everything is better.
LOL, California does that to themselves! Your astronomical taxes, stifling PC culture, personal freedoms being stripped away or ridiculed via "cancel culture", horrible public schools, rampant homelessness, unaffordable housing. Need I go on?

Your state diminishes itself by how it simply is.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:58 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
I don't think its right to kick anyone when they're down. I have co-workers in Texas and I feel legitimately bad for them. Some have lost power/water and are having to go to relatives' homes to stay warm. Some have damage to their homes from trees falling, due to ice. I didn't think it was right to bash them after hurricane Harvey flooded Houston and I don't think that's right now.

I am strongly against those that come onto this board to bash California, but gloating in retaliation is just as bad.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:58 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
LOL, California does that to themselves! Your astronomical taxes, stifling PC culture, personal freedoms being stripped away or ridiculed via "cancel culture", horrible public schools, rampant homelessness, unaffordable housing. Need I go on?

Your state diminishes itself by how it simply is.

Sounds more like your state capitol, Austin

Old 02-17-2021, 11:59 AM

237 posts, read 283,736 times
Quote:
Well you'd be wrong. Those qualities are solid Cali. So own it.

And I don't live in Texas.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:02 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
https://www.consumerwatchdog.org/new...ation-disaster

Apparently this article explains that a Texas company was responsible for the mess of California's power gird since 1990s to now. Apparently there was similar deregulation policy to Texas power gird as well since the 1990s but I guess they were just lucky(as opposed to successful) all these years but apparently their luck ran out. But I heard somewhere that they actually had market competition and consumer choice in electric markets unlike what happened in California where prices just went up up up until the utility companies declared bankruptcy and had to pass the high costs all of a sudden to the customers, many of them who never ever got a choice in their provider aside from the monopolistic utility giants PG&E, SCE, or SDG&E they were always stuck with based on their address just like school districts. Apparently the state initially capped electric rate hikes to customers when they first experienced with deregulation but rising wholesales prices since deregulation bankrupted the utility companies.
Yet they, at least based on MSM had the audacity to initially blame voters/consumers for not allowing rate hikes when people complained why they were experiencing huge rate hikes and rotating outages and forced to cut back severely.

I be curious how would California's power gird handle an cold event like this though.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 02-17-2021 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 12:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
So basically those issues are mostly confined to one city in Texas as opposed to our three major coastal metros where most of CA's population lives?

Old 02-17-2021, 12:18 PM

795 posts, read 408,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Maine is blue and has higher taxes and COL. Your comment doesn't make sense.
You need to do more research. Your whole comment is false. Overall COL is 60 points lower than San Diego. San Diego has a COL index of 177, Maine is 117. National average is 100. So while slightly over national average, it is lower than here by quite a bit. Maine is also one of the few states that splits their electoral votes. As with most places, the cities are blue but the country is red.

Sales tax is lower, income taxes are lower, property taxes are about a wash but you get much more for your money there. We are going from a 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 1k sq ft house on a typical suburban lot that will sell for close to 600k to a 6 bed, 5 bath, 5500 sq ft home on 24 acres for 450k. Our property taxes will be about the same for the new place as they are for our current one.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't think its right to kick anyone when they're down. I have co-workers in Texas and I feel legitimately bad for them. Some have lost power/water and are having to go to relatives' homes to stay warm. Some have damage to their homes from trees falling, due to ice. I didn't think it was right to bash them after hurricane Harvey flooded Houston and I don't think that's right now.

I am strongly against those that come onto this board to bash California, but gloating in retaliation is just as bad.
Every once and a blue moon you say something I agree with! lol

Old 02-17-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious how would California's power gird handle an cold event like this though.
Even with climate change something like this simply isn't possible in most of CA where the majority of our population lives. We are insulated from this type of artic air in our lower elevations. Texas broke records but they've actually seen these temps before. No major CA city has ever come close to those temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies