Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
This illustrates why shutting down fossil fuels is such a danger. Texas is using coal; Biden wants to shut it down. And think about the increase in cost.

Wind and solar are a niche market.
Texas is using coal and lost power. Your argument doesn't hold up here.

Wind and solar are no longer 'niche' markets. Solar energy is the only form that held up in Texas through that energy crisis.

MN doesn't have an energy crisis and our winters are way colder than Texas winters are!

Quote:
Nearly 50% of Minnesota's power came from zero-carbon sources in 2019 and renewable energy provided a quarter of Minnesota's electricity in 2019.
https://www.cleanenergyeconomymn.org...ergy-factsheet

Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
This illustrates why shutting down fossil fuels is such a danger. Texas is using coal; Biden wants to shut it down. And think about the increase in cost.

Wind and solar are a niche market.
And Texas has clean burning Natural Gas but their cheapness of operating builds everything to a minimum standard even though this has happened before. Its no different than the refineries which are out of date and inefficient, one accident or event and the nations petroleum supply is in jeopardy.

For the posted question we just spent 4 years of listening to public lambasting and ridicule when Democratic States had natural disasters from Cruz, the President and many others of the GOP. But remember according to them Global Warning like Covid is all poppycock and scientific garbage that the liberals push. So as I said in another post Karma is a B****.

I don't feel the citizens (that I am sure are being turned away from Osteen's church again as they seek warmth and shelter)are to blame but they should remember this at election time and ask who is really representing them???

Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Did anyone notice that Texas asked for federal help and got it without having to suck up the the president? That was a nice change - politically.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:16 AM

8,501 posts, read 4,744,511 times
But that’s the thing: MN built everything knowing full well how winters are there. Texas’ stuff is arguably built around our summers, certainly not around marginal and rare cases of cold like this in winter.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:34 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Because that's all the Democrats can do. Gripe and blame. They NEVER offer real solutions to a problem or a roll up your sleeve and take ownership kind of approach.

It's silly to think Gov. Abbott would have ignored advice or assistance to prevent the grid from failing if he had known conditions would get this bad. Just like it is silly to blame the Covid deaths on Trump. I don't blame the Covid deaths in the last month on Biden. Yet it would be only fair to do so since he spent 2020 blaming Trump as a the cause of the deaths.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
But that’s the thing: MN built everything knowing full well how winters are there. Texas’ stuff is arguably built around our summers, certainly not around marginal and rare cases of cold like this in winter.
Poor judgement on the part of those who profited from not making the investment to "winterize" Texas power sources.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:37 AM

To those who are blaming wind energy for this crisis: look no further than Cancun!

Quote:
- Tri Global Energy, a leading U.S. originator and developer of utility-scale wind energy projects, today announced that U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is the 2019 recipient of the Tri Global Energy Wind Leadership Award, recognizing commitment to wind development and to the people who rely on wind farms to support their families and communities.
U.S. Senator Ted Cruz Receives Tri Global Energy's 2019 Wind Leadership Award

Old 02-18-2021, 09:39 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Wow, the hypocrisy is thick on this one.

Ted Cruz and other Texas politicians politicized and ridiculed California when we had our blackouts last August during a freak, record heat wave. I'm sorry but it's fair game if some of us dish it right back at Texas. Karma, dude, karma.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 AM

8,501 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Poor judgement on the part of those who profited from not making the investment to "winterize" Texas power sources.
I dunno. I am not in the energy industry, so I do t know how these deductions are made, but it would be a little surprising to have made the decision to “winterize” to the point of withstanding a once-in-a-lifetime event. This is also why there’s no inventory of road-clearing equipment, etc. Yes, the politics 24/7 boneheads can play their games, but at the end of the day, this kind of weather really doesn’t happen in many of the affected parts of the state. There’s not good precedent anybody could point to and say “hey, we need to do X, Y, and Z”. And individuals here are equally unprepared for this kind of thing. I have spent more time driving on snow in the last few days than I have in my entire life (this is terrifying! I’m glad I can stay put now). I don’t have vehicles suited to this, because it would have been dumb to buy a vehicle specifically for something that basically never happens. It would be like buying a pickup even though I never tow. I’m sure a lot of folks don’t even own proper coats and stuff. I know one house locally burned down because the family lit a fire to thaw water pipes. Nobody here knows what to do. Nothing here was made for this weather.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:48 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I dunno. I am not in the energy industry, so I do t know how these deductions are made, but it would be a little surprising to have made the decision to “winterize” to the point of withstanding a once-in-a-lifetime event. This is also why there’s no inventory of road-clearing equipment, etc. Yes, the politics 24/7 boneheads can play their games, but at the end of the day, this kind of weather really doesn’t happen in many of the affected parts of the state. There’s not good precedent anybody could point to and say “hey, we need to do X, Y, and Z”.
Just like the hundred year flood only comes once in a hundred years. Except when it comes every 3rd year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies