Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 06:11 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
It certainly would help. I personally see the waste on a daily basis and if people saw just how much waste there really is it would make them sick.
Having worked for both the DoD and a very liberal agency, we could cut at least 25% with ZERO negative impact.

The fed is rampant with waste, fraud and abuse.

We could start with Dept. of Education.

Education is a STATE responsibility NOT the fed, so why are we spending over $59 BILLION a year?

It was reduced under Trump from OVER $69 BILLION under obama.

As was said, "If you watch you pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 06:17 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes of course we can. We can eliminate entire federal agencies. And most of us wouldn't even know.
We could eliminate entire agencies and it wouldn't put a dent in the budget unless it was DOD. I'm not against a more efficient government there was nothing preventing prior administrations from doing just that, Reagan, Trump campaigned on that but it never materialized. I see no issue with asking the ultra-rich to pay more since they benefitted the most in the last 40 years and have done extremely well during the pandemic, it won't nearly balance the budget but it's a start.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what's it to you? why so envious and resentful
You hit it on the head, leftists are filled with envy and are so greedy they want to take others money.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Simpson-Bowles on tax revenue:

so note it was: eliminate deductions, reduce rates = raise tax revenue.

A non-partisan might note that the 2 single largest deductions - SALT and the MID cap $ loan - were reduced. And that in combination with all other measures, 80%+ of taxpayers saw a decrease.
Yes and it also increased capital gains tax, tax on dividends, corporate tax rate at 28%, federal gas tax increase and eliminate all preferential tax loopholes, make Social Security sustainable.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:52 AM

11,481 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Isn't Warren an ultra millionaire herself? Why doesn't she just donate here entire net worth to the government and leave the rest alone?

Old 03-06-2021, 08:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Isn't Warren an ultra millionaire herself? Why doesn't she just donate here entire net worth to the government and leave the rest alone?
No, she isn't. Her net worth as of 2019 was less than $9 million dollars. That's not an "ultra-millionaire". Former senator Kelly Loeffler, who is worth 1/2 a billion dollars, that's an "ultra-millionaire"

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 03-06-2021 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 AM

39 posts, read 53,132 times
I think a flat tax, zero loopholes is fair. Lower incomes pay less, and higher incomes pay more. All of which are proportional to how much we earn, with the exception of citizens whose income puts them below the poverty line. Higher incomes would still be paying much more than someone making little money, but everyone would be fairly contributing. I don’t think there is a need to raise taxes. I think the government needs to take a hard look at how funds are distributed and reevaluate the current budget. I’d propose sending less money over seas and more money spent on infrastructure, debt, and national programs benefiting citizens until the debt is under control. Particularly focusing on debt owed to countries whose values and ideals do not align with our own. Once our National debt is under control increasing programs and monies benefiting other countries could be reevaluated.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yes she is a millionaire as is Warren Buffett and many others who see the system as unfair. Top 5% doing fantastic, middle class losing.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:04 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
I think a flat tax, zero loopholes is fair. Lower incomes pay less, and higher incomes pay more. All of which are proportional to how much we earn, with the exception of citizens whose income puts them below the poverty line. Higher incomes would still be paying much more than someone making little money, but everyone would be fairly contributing. I don’t think there is a need to raise taxes. I think the government needs to take a hard look at how funds are distributed and reevaluate the current budget. I’d propose sending less money over seas and more money spent on infrastructure, debt, and national programs benefiting citizens until the debt is under control. Particularly focusing on debt owed to countries whose values and ideals do not align with our own. Once our National debt is under control increasing programs and monies benefiting other countries could be reevaluated.
"I think a flat tax"

I would prefer a national sales tax ONLY. That way even drug dealers would be paying when they buy they fancy cars, and jewelry and big houses.

No more filing. Look at how much we would save right there when we wouldn't need all those agents.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:08 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I think a flat tax"

I would prefer a national sales tax ONLY. That way even drug dealers would be paying when they buy they fancy cars, and jewelry and big houses.

No more filing. Look at how much we would save right thee when we wouldn't need all those agents.
I'm good with that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies