Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 12:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No, the point is Republican governors locked down their states right along with the Dems and caused great harm to the citizenry. That a few of them went "oops" and decided to rescind their orders because of political expedience doesn't make them the good guys. They are all despicable
That is so TRUE. I couldn't get a haircut for 6 weeks because the Republican governor shut down haircut places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 12:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Texans are enjoying their weekend before the Abbott variant comes into full effect next week.
It won't matter. The people getting sickest and ending up in the hospital will be older people with their bellies sticking out all big and huge. Texans who are slim and healthier certainly won't want to shut anything down just for those unfortunate souls. They should know better than to get out and expose themselves to the virus.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:12 AM

57,394 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
No, the point is Republican governors locked down their states right along with the Dems and caused great harm to the citizenry. That a few of them went "oops" and decided to rescind their orders because of political expedience doesn't make them the good guys. They are all despicable
Some did, many like Texas and South Dakota, Florida did not. No mask mandate, no limits on capacity and many continued to allow Trump rallies without masks, do you recall Sturgis, Tulsa, Arizona

Old 03-06-2021, 06:19 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,476,834 times
This is a great experiment, I am glad they are 1000 miles from me.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:26 AM

30,203 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It won't matter. The people getting sickest and ending up in the hospital will be older people with their bellies sticking out all big and huge. Texans who are slim and healthier certainly won't want to shut anything down just for those unfortunate souls. They should know better than to get out and expose themselves to the virus.

Are not all high risk people able to be vaccinated at this point? I would agree with you if this was November. If there are high risk people who refused the vaccine and then get sick. We should restrict business activity because they might be out there?

Old 03-06-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some did, many like Texas and South Dakota, Florida did not. No mask mandate, no limits on capacity and many continued to allow Trump rallies without masks, do you recall Sturgis, Tulsa, Arizona
I watch the two areas where I have homes. In Tucson they have had a very strict mask mandate now for 10 months. Capacity limits on many businesses. Night time curfews. And the town where my other house is in Oklahoma. Which has no government restrictions. Has has everything open since the shutdown that ended last spring. Churches, restaurants, schools all open like normal. Only a handful of businesses have an optional mask request. Only in Walmart is there a majority of people who put on masks. The Trump rally in Tulsa was only 50 miles away and probably people from here attended.

The zip code in Tucson has twice the cases per capita and three times the deaths per capita as my town in Oklahoma.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Republicans never favored closing anything down.

Now the economy is crashing, and democrats can’t seem to figure out why.
most did

https://ballotpedia.org/States_that_...pandemic,_2020
Quote:
All Democratic governors (24) issued stay-at-home orders in their states, while 19 of the 26 Republican governors issued stay-at-home orders.
Every one of them a criminal.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, are you joking? Go the CDC web site.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Switch the table to yearly. 18% for 2020 (it's March now, so the data should be almost complete)
All of those numbers are only projected, and are not complete. It will take quite some time to see the true numbers. Only then, by comparing the total numbers for years in a row, can we see if there was truly an increase. I do not doubt that there was, just like there was an increase from 2017 to 2019. But to attribute every single increased death to covid, without looking at the completed data, is only guesswork.

If you look at the excess death graph, virtually the entire year is UNDER the excess death number. And even then, these are just expected/predicted numbers.

I think the most shocking will be the suicide and drug overdose death rate, when this all shakes out.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
All of those numbers are only projected, and are not complete. It will take quite some time to see the true numbers. Only then, by comparing the total numbers for years in a row, can we see if there was truly an increase. I do not doubt that there was, just like there was an increase from 2017 to 2019. But to attribute every single increased death to covid, without looking at the completed data, is only guesswork.

If you look at the excess death graph, virtually the entire year is UNDER the excess death number. And even then, these are just expected/predicted numbers.

I think the most shocking will be the suicide and drug overdose death rate, when this all shakes out.
These are not projections or guesswork. They are from a count of death certificates. From the CDC link above:

Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of March 5, 2021. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources (see Technical Notes). Counts will be updated periodically. Additional information will be added to this site as available.

The excess deaths are real. And they match up perfectly to the death numbers attributed to covid. Regarding suicides and drug overdoses. Normal year there are about 50,000 suicide deaths and about 65,000 drug overdose deaths. No doubt they increase a bit in 2020. But they will not explain the 500K excess deaths over the past 12 months.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:37 AM

57,394 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
most did

https://ballotpedia.org/States_that_...pandemic,_2020

Every one of them a criminal.
Why wasn't it all 50 states, why did those 7 states refuse to follow the science. Many republican states like Maryland and Ohio showed leadership while many did not especially some sates with high infection rates. This is one of the reason why we are near the bottom in performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies