Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 11:34 AM

29,667 posts, read 14,776,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I am saying that someone who works 40 hours a week does not deserve to be in poverty. If you disagree, you and I have seriously differing values.
Being willing to work, doesn't ensure success. Period.

I've known many hard workers in my life, that had nothing. It sucks, but it's life. My own daughter is one of those. She will work her ass off at whatever non skilled job she is at, without looking at the larger picture....she focuses so much on the job , that she loses track that it's a job without a future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 AM

12,971 posts, read 13,718,310 times
Why is that when other professions raise their hourly rates its not associate with job loss?

Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM

962 posts, read 543,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Are you kidding me ? So, because these individuals made the choice to make a career out of non skilled or low skilled labor, we force the companies to pay more ?

When I was 16, one of my many non skilled jobs that I had back then, was a cook at a local restaurant. It was fun, and sort of easy. I could have stayed there, instead of working towards being a design engineer which I've been doing for over 30 years now. I chose not to, because I had the intelligence enough, to realize what I was getting paid, wasn't going to afford me the lifestyle that I wanted.

We all make choices in life, and choices have consequences.
I'm glad you were blessed with intelligence to gain an education and earn more money. Not everyone is as smart as you. Does someone who is not blessed with your intelligence, therefore, deserve a life of poverty? We can't all be design engineers, but we can treat our fellow citizens with dignity, by adhering to the value that if you work hard, you don't deserve poverty. It should not matter if you're a design engineer or a cook at a local restaurant. I'm not saying the cook deserves a lavish life. I'm saying he deserves a roof over his head, and food for himself and his family.

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land."
"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh."
"A righteous man knows the rights of the poor; a wicked man does not understand such knowledge."

Jesus tells us, time and time again, that caring for the poor is the pathway to heaven. What would he say to a country, the wealthiest in the history of human civilization, that lets its children suffer poverty?

Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
25% of the population has an IQ below 90. Good luck on that. We are going to lose a huge chunk of jobs for these people soon. (IE like truck drivers for small example.)

Too much "let the eat cake" attitude on this board.

I also know people with real degrees and skills who made the foolish life decision to get old and now work at big box stores for peanuts. Morons for letting themselves get old.
And this means what ? I'm a dumbass that barely graduated high school, and didn't finish college. I was lucky to have a knack for drawing things, and being able to read a blueprints. I became a draftperson, which with the advent of CAD morphed into a design engineer. I've been doing that for over 30 years. And yes, since I never did get a degree, and the fact that I'm over 50, I'm probably one job away from being a Walmart greeter. It's life, and the choices I made.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:41 AM

962 posts, read 543,633 times
Quote:
Being willing to work, doesn't ensure success. Period.

I've known many hard workers in my life, that had nothing. It sucks, but it's life. My own daughter is one of those. She will work her ass off at whatever non skilled job she is at, without looking at the larger picture....she focuses so much on the job , that she loses track that it's a job without a future.
Why do you have such contempt for your own daughter? If she wants to work a non-skilled job, why should she suffer? Why does she not deserve to be able to afford a roof over her head and some food? I'm not saying a McDonalds worker deserves the same things as a doctor, but a McDonalds worker deserves to have the resources necessary to survive.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,532,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
25% of the population has an IQ below 90. Good luck on that. We are going to lose a huge chunk of jobs for these people soon. (IE like truck drivers for small example.)

Too much "let the eat cake" attitude on this board.

I also know people with real degrees and skills who made the foolish life decision to get old and now work at big box stores for peanuts. Morons for letting themselves get old.
If old people with real degrees and skills now have to work at big box stores for peanuts, the foolish life decision they made was to spend everything they earned rather than fund a comfortable retirement.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:43 AM

1,503 posts, read 610,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Issues:
1. No sourcing.
2. You have one staple item.
3. The second item is impacted by global usage as well as potentially increased taxation.
4. Third item is displayed gross of state subsidies that were removed.
5. dubious selection of 1998 as sole point of measurement.

For example:

1974: Bushel of corn, 3.74
2020: Bushel of corn, 3.54

There is certainly a problem with parts of the Govt. calculation and what they do and do not include but if you want to make a strong case I would recommend finding a serious economic study and link to it.
1. Sources are from my memory
2. Whatever I recall that what I put.

To measure real inlation is a tough, full time job that nobody gonna pay for.
Sometimes you can find attempts at it, like here:
https://medium.com/@bgschust/true-in...-7-8dced84ae05

but nobody ever did that real comparison.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you were blessed with intelligence to gain an education and earn more money. Not everyone is as smart as you. Does someone who is not blessed with your intelligence, therefore, deserve a life of poverty? We can't all be design engineers, but we can treat our fellow citizens with dignity, by adhering to the value that if you work hard, you don't deserve poverty. It should not matter if you're a design engineer or a cook at a local restaurant. I'm not saying the cook deserves a lavish life. I'm saying he deserves a roof over his head, and food for himself and his family.

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land."
"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh."
"A righteous man knows the rights of the poor; a wicked man does not understand such knowledge."

Jesus tells us, time and time again, that caring for the poor is the pathway to heaven. What would he say to a country, the wealthiest in the history of human civilization, that lets its children suffer poverty?
Your first mistake is assuming I'm intelligent. I barely graduated high school. I'm just an average person. The thing you don't get is, a short order cook isn't supposed to be a career. Now if that person decides to work towards being a chef...now that is a career.

Not sure why you are stating scripture or whatever that is....I don't buy into any religion.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Why do you have such contempt for your own daughter? If she wants to work a non-skilled job, why should she suffer? Why does she not deserve to be able to afford a roof over her head and some food? I'm not saying a McDonalds worker deserves the same things as a doctor, but a McDonalds worker deserves to have the resources necessary to survive.
She CAN afford a roof over her head. She can share a dumpy apartment with two or three other low-income workers and eat cheap food. Thus, she has the resources to survive.

If she wants better than that, she needs to acquire better job skills.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Your first mistake is assuming I'm intelligent. I barely graduated high school. I'm just an average person. The thing you don't get is, a short order cook isn't supposed to be a career. Now if that person decides to work towards being a chef...now that is a career.

Not sure why you are stating scripture or whatever that is....I don't buy into any religion.
Liberals are always coming out with the Jesus quotes. That’s because they think we are all alt-right Christians, and it’s their way of scolding us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies