Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 11:45 AM

962 posts, read 541,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And this means what ? I'm a dumbass that barely graduated high school, and didn't finish college. I was lucky to have a knack for drawing things, and being able to read a blueprints. I became a draftperson, which with the advent of CAD morphed into a design engineer. I've been doing that for over 30 years. And yes, since I never did get a degree, and the fact that I'm over 50, I'm probably one job away from being a Walmart greeter. It's life, and the choices I made.
What's wrong with being a Walmart greeter? To the people constantly denigrating work in this thread: how does that comport with your values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Working class hero? If performance is an issue, a firm should fire that employee. If a firm opts not to give an employee a raise after multiple years of experience, that firm is exploiting the employee. In an ideal world, a worker would have rights (remember the unions?) to stand up to their employer. That is not America.

Yes, you hold workers in contempt.
no I don't hold them in contempt

if you are working at ONE PLACE, starting at min wage, and after two years you are still at min wage... what does your annual reviews say... the answer to why you are still min wage is there in the mirror

I was working at a trucking company as a truck mechanic (back in early 90's)..annual review came up, boss said I did real well..said we are going to give you a 1% raise....I looked at my boss, said, hey you said I am doing very well, and inflation is 3%, at 1% I am still losing..... he went to his boss and a"debated" for me, and guess what, I got a 3% raise (at the time 3% was about 75 cents)

nearly every place...too include fastfood joints (because I got one when I was a teenager working at White Castle) gives annual reviews...performance reviews..... its not the employer...its the employee if they are still making min wage after a few years...that is a fact, jack

Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Why do you have such contempt for your own daughter? If she wants to work a non-skilled job, why should she suffer? Why does she not deserve to be able to afford a roof over her head and some food? I'm not saying a McDonalds worker deserves the same things as a doctor, but a McDonalds worker deserves to have the resources necessary to survive.
Contempt ? Are you serious ? We gave her every opportunity to progress in life, would have paid for her college, or trade school. She decided none of that is needed. It was her choices in life that got her where she is now. She is currently making $14 an hour, has her own apartment and car. We do help her out with some monthly expenses.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:48 AM

962 posts, read 541,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Liberals are always coming out with the Jesus quotes. That’s because they think we are all alt-right Christians, and it’s their way of scolding us.
At least the two of you aren't trying to claim that you follow the teachings of Christ. I can appreciate that.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with being a Walmart greeter? To the people constantly denigrating work in this thread: how does that comport with your values?
Can you show me anywhere in this thread where I degraded being a Walmart greeter ? When or if, I age out of my current profession, working at Walmart won't be a problem and will help me stay employed.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtheCat View Post
THere's only so many jobs!! If you actually had to earn your way totally on your own, you'd realize this. Many DO have great skills-better than you, smarter than you-the major difference is they aren;t as privileged as you. You need to get that just because you were handed everything in life, not everyone is.
What makes you think he was handed everything in life? Do you look at a successful person, who became educated in a competitive field, and consequently is earning a good salary and enjoying “luxury” items, and assume he was handed everything in life? Maybe he was born to dirt-poor parents and worked very hard, exercised discipline, and made smart decisions.

This contempt the leftists have for people who are successful....who made responsible decisions.....who are motivated and disciplined.....will be the death knell for this country.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:51 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So to be clear, if a person makes minimum wage, tough luck, improve your skills or starve? I just want to make sure I understand the perspective. Does compassion for other human beings play into this at some point in time? There are many who feel people have an inherent right as human beings to have a roof over their head and food on the table.

We live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. That we'd let people suffer like this is an incredibly odd view to take.
I view poverty as negative as well. However, my argument isn't about whether or not starvation and poverty should be eradicated, but rather whether or not high minimum wage, or any minimum wage for that matter, accomplishes anything more than greater inequality.

$15 min mage would do two things: a.) businesses would employ less people or b.) increase inflation as to make any gains of higher earnings moot.

Therefore, it's ineffective.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
At least the two of you aren't trying to claim that you follow the teachings of Christ. I can appreciate that.
You can be a good person and not following the teachings of Jesus. In fact, it’s insulting to Jews and other religions to suggest otherwise.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
yeah...too much hypocrisy in religion for me.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why is that when other professions raise their hourly rates its not associate with job loss?
depends on the profession, the size of the company, the profit/lose rate of the company

again you guys continue to mention BIG CORPORATIONs, while neglecting to acknowledge that 78.7% of all workers work for small business

sure Target can afford to pay entry level at $15/hr..... but small businesses with only 1% profit, will have a very difficult time

why do the liberals constantly talk/compare about large corporation and FORGET about the mom&pop small businesses

now look at the automotive shop down the road....

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$28/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$24/hr each
I have a parts manager...$24/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14 each
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12 each
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9.5 (2 over min) each

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (who must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers (wage compression)

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

I would have to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual highly SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, why...because it is too costly to stay in business (payroll is the biggest part of my overhead) not to mention taxes, and other overheads that are constantly going up

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving
this is just one example of what will happen (to small businesses), if we try raising the min wage anymore

the majority of ALL workers( 79% ), work for small business

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-03-2021 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies