Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:11 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I remember freedom fries being more of a dumb joke than a serious movement. Don't recall anyone being viciously attacked over it.
This. Dems have no sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 01:14 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
This. Dems have no sense of humor.
No it wasn't.

I remember clear as yesterday.

France opposed the occupation because refugees were entering their country.

Conservatives attacked them for being racists.

Conservatives were extreme globalists back then. The threads speak for themselves, just go back to 2006 on this site, I provided a plethora of examples.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:22 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No it wasn't.

Conservatives were extreme globalists back then. The threads speak for themselves, just go back to 2006 on this site, I provided a plethora of examples.
When this war started by Bush, it wasn’t that long after September 11, and Bush used that anger and fears people still had, hence being upset with France for lack of support. I still thought the name freedom fries was silly and it didn’t get much traction, at least my part of the country.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
No it wasn't.

Well, I remember it clear as yesterday as well. Everyone I knew, Democrats, Republicans, left, right - all thought "freedom fries" was funny and a light-hearted poke at the French. Yes, the anti-French sentiment was real - which still doesn't change the fact that "freedom fries" was a joke.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:29 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
When this war started by Bush, it wasn’t that long after September 11, and Bush used that anger and fears people still had, hence being upset with France for lack of support. I still thought the name freedom fries was silly and it didn’t get much traction, at least my part of the country.
A Gallop Poll from 2003 shows the same. 66% of respondents thought it was "silly"; while 80% said they would still continue to call them french fries.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:34 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Billary ain't totally wrong. I remember this garbage from back in the day.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/s...20387639242754

I don't like Hillary but she has a point.

Today conservatives portend to be against foriegn entailments.

But not just less than the Bush years did they ridicule and attack anyone for not supporting the Iraq war.

No, Saddam was not a supporter of Al Qaeda, that was the Bush family friend the house of Saud.

But conservatives were too dumb or stupid to care, Bush went and bowed to the royal family and then went on a full scale destructive war against Saddam Hussein which had nothing to do with 9/11.

So what did conservatives do at home? They 'canceled' french fries and viciously attacked anyone who did otherwise.

That is cancel culture taken to the extreme.

Do any conservatives here regret their actions?
actually Iraq (Saddam) did support al-Qaida

Quote:

US State Department
November 4, 1998

Bin Laden, Atef Indicted in U.S. Federal Court for African Bombings

New York -- Usama bin Laden and Muhammad Atef were indicted November 4 in Manhattan federal court for the August 7 bombings of the US embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and for conspiring to kill Americans outside the United States.

Bin Laden's "al Qaeda" organization functioned both on its own and through other terrorist organizations, including the Al Jihad group based in Egypt, the Islamic Group also known as el Gamaa Islamia led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, and a number of other jihad groups in countries such as Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Somalia.

Bin Laden, the US Attorney charged, engaged in business transactions on behalf of Al Qaeda, including purchasing warehouses for storage of explosives, transporting weapons, and establishing a series of companies in Sudan to provide income to al Qaeda and as a cover for the procurement of explosives, weapons, and chemicals, and for the travel of operatives.

According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States.

"In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the Government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq," the indictment said.

Beginning in 1992, bin Laden allegedly issued through his "fatwah" committees a series of escalating "fatwahs" against the United States, certain military personnel, and, eventually in February 1998, a "fatwah" stating that Muslims should kill Americans -- including civilians -- anywhere in the world they can be found.

-------------------------------------------------

But according to the State Department, several radical Islamic organizations operate in Yemen. They include the Palestinian group known as Hamas, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the Egyptian Islamic Jihad and cells linked to Osama bin Laden, the exiled Saudi whom American officials blamed for the bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania on Aug. 7, 1998. The United States retaliated for those bombings 13 days later with missile strikes in Afghanistan and the Sudan.

In recent weeks, President Saddam Hussein of Iraq has also intensified his threats against the United States, Israel and Arab states like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Even as the Cole was struck, American intelligence officials had detected movement by one of Iraq's Republican Guard divisions west of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad
from Oct (about 2-3 weeks before elections)2000 while clinton was in office.... http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/13/wo...pagewanted=all

--------------------

Bin Laden, a Saudi national based in Afghanistan, has Yemeni family roots and close links with some of the local tribal warlords......."The Iraqis have wanted to be able to carry out terrorism for some time now," Mr Cannistraro said. "Their military people have had liaison with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, and could well have supplied the training."

Iran (a terrorist nation) has had its hands in bad juju for years, both Iraq and Iran support/aided/trained ALQ

Old 03-04-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually Iraq (Saddam) did support al-Qaida

Iran (a terrorist nation) has had its hands in bad juju for years, both Iraq and Iran support/aided/trained ALQ
These reports were false back in the late 90s, an invention of the gulf war since Bin Laden wanted to fight a holy war against Iraq.

Iran was hated by Al Qaeda so that is even more wrong. Israel, the US, Pakistan, and the Gulf states all supported Al Qaeda. the 'allied' nations.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
These reports were false back in the late 90s, an invention of the gulf war since Bin Laden wanted to fight a holy war against Iraq.

Iran was hated by Al Qaeda so that is even more wrong. Israel, the US, Pakistan, and the Gulf states all supported Al Qaeda. the 'allied' nations.
so you are saying that democrat President Bill Clinton's State Department put out false information..... for what purpose??

Old 03-04-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you are saying that democrat President Bill Clinton's State Department put out false information..... for what purpose??
War with Iraq, it was a state policy since 1991.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies