Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don’t blame her for taking advantage of preferential treatment, if that is indeed what happened. The question is: did a white kid with better grades, and just as much in financial need, get skipped over because the colleges tilted the advantage toward the black student? If so, it is unfair that he wasn’t given the opportunities she was, and due solely to skin color. Poor whites with good academic records deserve a chance too.
I guess we'd have to wait for the white kid from her school (or system) that had better grades and equivalent extracurriculars and test scores that applied to some of the same schools but wasn't provided those scholarships. Of course, the article wasn't clear that these were general scholarships and not, perhaps, targeted.

It's darn close to the converse of the argument we make about preferences the other way (ie, when it favors whites). "Just because Johnny got the job doesn't mean it was because he was white." In this case "Just because Shanya got scholarships doesn't mean her peer Johnny didn't."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:17 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no ****. I just hopes she makes something of the opportunities she's been afforded. She does say she'd like to go to Spelman and hasn't gotten accepted there yet.
Spelman is a HBCU. She'll get more scholarship money from a non-HBCU trying to recruit diversity students.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
She applied to 18 schools.

Who else does that?
I applied to 3.
If memory serves, my child last year (HS Class of 20) applied to 7. Most of those were free. One important distinction is CommonApp (I think that's the name) - she didn't fill out 7 apps. She filled out 2, and about 1/10 of the content on the other 5. Most of them didn't have essays.

In Shanya's case, maybe she got them for free (most colleges waive application fees for financial hardship) if needed.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:30 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
What alot of people in here don't understand is that alot of student don't apply for enough scholarships. That money often times is just sitting out there unclaimed.

It's funny how everytime ONE black kid gets a bunch of scholarships people immediately say that black person somehow stole it from "more qualified ****non-black***" kids. Everytime.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:33 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Your GPA or test scores aren't the end all be all of what colleges/scholarships look for in students. There's a reason why alot those "straight A" kids take all those fake character building courses and do "volunteer" work. Some of those kids that get the highest grades either cheat or they are lifeless robots. Some people with grades like her can come off as more normal individuals with great social skills. And oddly enough in the US, having great social skills can take you alot farther than good grades if we're being honest.
And the schools want racial diversity if we are being honest! So you get someone like herself who is overvalued because she is black. If she was white she would be another Caucasian with a B average. At least we can be honest.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:34 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
What alot of people in here don't understand is that alot of student don't apply for enough scholarships. That money often times is just sitting out there unclaimed.

It's funny how everytime ONE black kid gets a bunch of scholarships people immediately say that black person somehow stole it from "more qualified ****non-black***" kids. Everytime.
Who said that? Speaking for myself, and knowing what happens in the admissions world, I simply raised the question and pointed out that if that were the case, it would be unfair to the better-scoring white from an equally deprived background.

My father, a very poor but VERY bright (#1 on city-wide scores) white kid, got a full-ride to college. It was his ticket, and a much deserved one, out of poverty. I’d hate to think that he would have received less because the college preferred blacks.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:07 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
And the schools want racial diversity if we are being honest! So you get someone like herself who is overvalued because she is black. If she was white she would be another Caucasian with a B average. At least we can be honest.
"Diversity" is often covered via non-black immigrants, like Asians. Asians, who often times have cheating networks or they are just grade-robots.

If she were white she'd mostly likely already have enough money to attend college without a crazy amount of scholarships.

Stop crying. People like you will sit here and make comments about blacks not caring about education, then get mad when a little black girl does everything in her power for an education. Just say what your issue really is.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:25 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
"Diversity" is often covered via non-black immigrants, like Asians. Asians, who often times have cheating networks or they are just grade-robots.

If she were white she'd mostly likely already have enough money to attend college without a crazy amount of scholarships.
Wrong on both counts.

Asians (and to a lesser degree, Whites) are discriminated against in college admissions because the perception is that they are already over-represented among the enrolled student body, even though that's explained by the fact that they have better academic credentials and test scores than Black students.

Most Whites do not have enough money to pay for college. 60% of White students take on student loan debt to pay for college (Source: Brookings Institute).

Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:

Stop crying. People like you will sit here and make comments about blacks not caring about education, then get mad when a little black girl does everything in her power for an education. Just say what your issue really is.
Woah. You’re implying that those who are opposed to race-based preferences are racist (sort of ironic right there) while coming up with stereotypes about Asians being cheaters and whites having plenty of money for college?

FYI, Asians are discriminated AGAINST because their grades are so superior that they are over represented, and there are plenty of white families, also with very bright kids, who don’t have the money for college. To overlook them to favor “a little black girl” is racist and unfair.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:59 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Because I know it’s done for admissions (skipping over whites to admit lower-scoring blacks) so it is definitely possible the same is done for scholarships. If that is what happened here, it’s wrong - and unfair.

P.S. what is that emoji supposed to be?
Many things are "definitely possible". Definite possibility is not reason for suspicion. I agree if it happened it's wrong and unfair. I just don't see a reason to think it actually happened.

It's the "thinking"/chin-scratching emoji.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies