Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM

24,497 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

The Dems are wrecking the place and the Reps can only wring their hands in confusion. The problem is many of those career politicians would rather prop up their own jobs than do what is best for America.

We had a President that was rocking the boat and shaking up DC and upsetting those cranky dinosaurs and they went to war against him. Trump was good for America but bad for the do nothing politicians that would rather line their own pockets and fund their pet projects. The latest "covid stimulus bill" is a perfect example of this.

Trump was a chance at something different but the People were not ready for it and DC fought against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I would live to live in the South as constructed but minus Virginia.
There's an understandable misread on contemporary Virginia politics. Most of the counties are still politically & culturally Southern/Conservative. But there are a few Northern Va counties, densely populated with recent transplants & DC bureaucrats who are currently dominating state level politics.
My take, 2021 Virginia is essentially a divided Border State, and a practical (theoretical) secession would probably transpire like West Virginia separating from 1863 VA. Most of VA counties and independent cities would align with a Southern nation, and a couple of Northern VA counties would/could go with a Yankee nation..

Old 03-09-2021, 07:20 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support secession on every level. But it isn't the 1800's anymore with a pretty clear cut Mason-Dixon line. The greater divide today is more urban vs rural. Could get messy.

Right. Washington and Oregon are divided sharply along an urban/rural divide. I'd be happy with Washington if we could simply excise the I-5 corridor (and possibly Spokane County) like a tumor.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Pacific: California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, and Alaska
Mountain: Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico
South: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee
Heartland: Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska
Northeast: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia
Poor Alaska. They really below with Idaho, Montana, or the Dakotas. I’d stick them in Mountain.

West Virginia and Virginia need to trade places. Frankly, Northern Virginia belongs with DC and Maryland. Also, truth is South and Heartland could easily merge and be fairly cohesive.

And, yeah, if I were voting today I’d vote yes.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support secession on every level. But it isn't the 1800's anymore with a pretty clear cut Mason-Dixon line. The greater divide today is more urban vs rural. Could get messy.
Exactly right. If it were geographical, it would require that people move to Free America. There would also have to be some type of "Iron Curtain" to stop the Communists (Democrats) from infiltrating, stealing resources, etc as their country will resemble Venezuela in short order.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Just give Alaska back to Russia and call it a night.
If Alaska were to go to another country it would be with Canada. However, the Alaskans would fight with their dying breaths to stop it. If you ever traveled to Alaska on the AlCan Highway you’d understand based just on the state of the roads, availability of indoor sanitation, and the cost of eating. Plus, there is that whole gun thing.....

Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 AM

25,746 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Sadly, I'd have to say I support this, although not with the groupings implied. I already see the left and right coast as hostile foreign nations with refugees fleeing and bringing their poison politics with them.

Although I was around during the entire Yugoslavia thing, I really didn't pay that much attention to it. I should have. I've lately been reading a couple of books on the matter. The parallels with what is going on here and now in the US is a bit disconcerting.

When that whole thing happened, there were obviously some horrifying events. BUT... look at the area now. Those who hated each other are for the most part separated. They don't have to do the genocide thing anymore. Things have settled down and most are moving on with their lives. Unfortunately, we have a ways to go before we get to that point. We haven't even gotten to the genocide part yet--we're getting there quickly, though.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:10 AM

15,841 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Secession from the USA should be difficult and painful. We don't need to go through our own Brexit just because of some political discord.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:18 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I don't support the idea of states seceding from the United States.

However, I understand that not everybody wants to live under a government that supports illegal aliens, BLM activists, Muslim terrorists, radical feminists and other kinds of degeneracy. So, I can't blame people for having the impulse to want to secede.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
At this point, just looking like a huge botchjob..........probably best to divvy things up before
the real nightmare kicks-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies