Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 04:40 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Mine's paying my insurance deductible for all the water damage I had from frozen pipes here in Houston a few weeks back.
Honestly, good for you. Sometimes life works out that way. My friends in Austin have a lot of pipes to fix as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 04:44 PM

7,148 posts, read 4,742,203 times
I cannot understand why anyone cheers the totality of this monstrosity.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:46 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If you divide that $1,900,000,000,000.00 porkfest by an estimated 330,000,000 people,
that $1,400.00 check that "some" people are getting costs every American $5,757.58.
If you look up where the rest of it goes, it'll turn your stomach.
Yes, the country is being looted. No telling who is getting most of the money.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Not for my wife and I we make to much but we have to pay for it
I dont expect to get any either. And yeah I will pay for it. but the money going to people is relatively small compared to the bill.

And I dont have a issue with it. Its the sort of deficit spending that keeps things from being worse. As the economy recovers I hope that Biden does better then the last 2 presidents who didn't try and control spending more. You pay that deficit down in the good times so its available in the bad times.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:47 PM

929 posts, read 304,366 times
I guess I will do what is right for Joe and head down to Walmart and pickup one of those 70 inch Hisense wide screens.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:47 PM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I’m speaking of that golden $1,400 winging our way (unless you’re a fat cat.)
Let’s see, what shall I spend mine on....
Maybe a genererous donation to our local U.U. Church’s choice fund? It would certainly be welcomed!
You're welcome. It's only costing you, me and every other American $5500.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
When trump gave the richest 1% a ton of tax breaks,did you post a per person cost estimate too? Heres reality-if we failed to pass this it would have cost you more long term. This is the point of deficit spending like this.

Its the economy folks.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:11 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I had a friend who is very into politics post something on social media today, and it coalesced a thought I've had kicking around a while.

He pointed out that the last 2 Dem Presidents lowered the deficit drastically or even balanced the budget (Clinton) and the last 4 Republican Presidents increased the deficit. While that is, I believe, true, I'm not sure that the Democrats deserve credit for it. He and others have also pointed out, that "Republicans only care about the deficit when Democrats are the ones doing the spending." That is absolutely true, as we have seen, Trump could throw money around all over the place and no Republican had anything to say about it, but let a Democrat do it? Time to raise hell!

But maybe, just maybe, it is the Republican tendency to be obstructionist to the Democrats, that helps push deficits down when Dems have the Executive?

I am a somewhat moderate person, and I see the current fracture in the Republican party as a deeply troubling matter. Liberal friends of mine chuckle with glee over the idea of Trump busting the party in half, with one side establishment conservatives who are pretty well over him, and the other his "loyalists." He is said to be diverting money from the RNC to his own entities now. My friends think that this assures Democrats of much winning and is a delightful thing. I'm not happy about it, though. Not at all. Especially if that's the end result. I want opposition, but I want it to be a sane opposition. The idea of "no roadblocks, full steam ahead" for either of the major parties disturbs the hell outta me.

Anyhow, I think that the advance paid child tax credit is the bigger news. My little brother is going to be getting $900/month for the rest of the year. He and his wife are schoolteachers, this will help their family a lot.

Federal debt under Clinton went from 60% of GDP (Sr. Bush's last year) to 55% of GDP (Clinton's last year).

Under Obama, the federal debt went from 68% of GDP (Jr. Bush's last year) to 104% of GDP (Obama's last year).

https://www.thebalance.com/national-...events-3306287

Old 03-10-2021, 05:13 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
No stimulus for me and my family. BTW we don't need it. There will be millions that will get stimulus that won't need it either. Income redistribution.
and that's my biggest issue with this.
sure, I don't need it but so do all of the still-employed folks. so why should they get it but not me?

Old 03-10-2021, 05:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
At a limit of $80/160K it is a safe bet that most people getting a stimulus payment are simply getting back a chunk of their own tax liability for 2021. You know what you say about how they can spend it more wisely than government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies