Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 06:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't think colleges should know about our gender or race. That shouldn't even be on the application. Let them decide who to accept based on what their standards are. In a blind test like this I bet there are more blacks and Asians admitted. Not saying white people wouldn't be accepted
I agree with you that admissions should be blind to race or gender. (I'm in favor of affirmative action for high-achieving kids from poor backgrounds, regardless of race or gender.)

But you are wrong that more black kids would be accepted if race were a non-issue. Do you have experience with college or grad school admissions? The GPAs and test scores that have the doors flung open for blacks (and Latinos, the other URM) have white applicants laughed at for even trying.

The fact of the matter is that if race-based preferences were abolished, then the percentage of black kids in any given institution would drop - and by as much as 2/3rds in some instances. So, you have a choice:

1) Continue with race-based preferences for blacks and Latinos, in which they are admitted with lower academic qualifications and achievement than whites and Asians, and accept the fact that blacks, on average, will not do as well academically as their peers admitted under the more demanding requirements, or...

2) Abolish race-based preferences and have blacks and Latinos admitted (or rejected) without regard to race, with the understanding that while they will be on par with their white and Asian classmates, there WILL be fewer of them accepted overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 07:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Those kinds of concerns should be discussed internally. If she "sees it every semester " then someone is ignoring the problem or have become complacent. In the system that I taught college in I was supposed improve those numbers every year. For instance I would have been fired if I publicly stated, "none of the athletes who take my my class can read very well." If as many poor whites went to college as poor blacks the problem be a problem of poverty and not race.
Did she say "none of the blacks" were doing well? She acknowledged that some blacks are doing well. What she is noting is that the lower end of the class is more represented by blacks.

If you were to look into which blacks were on the lower end versus which blacks were doing well, I guarantee you that, with some exceptions, blacks doing well were those who were admitted with grades and scores comparable to whites, and blacks doing poorly were those admitted under the affirmative action objectives, with the goal to expand diversity.

P.S. If she had said "most of the athletes who take my class can't read very well," that would simply prove that academic standards are lowered for athletes. In my experience in college, the top athletes in my class were indeed the ones pulling up the rear.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:37 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
She was. see what I did there.

The reason for the poorer grades is that a higher percent of black students are less qualified. The reason they are less qualified? Seventy percent of all black children are raised in a single parent family. As a group, children from single parent families are less educated than those raised by 2 parents.

If we're honest with ourselves.
For what specific reasons would the children of single parents get poorer grades? That in itself is not an acceptable reason.

I raised my children by myself, while I worked full-time, and both are successful; one has a bachelors degree in an engineering-related field, and the other is currently working on a masters degree. Both were also in academically gifted classes through their grade-school years.

Neither of my children was "privileged" economically either. I raised them while working in low-income jobs in retail related jobs. They had to do without a lot of things their friends had. We were on food stamps at times. They went to college by taking advantage of government grants that are available to all.

I have met many single parents with successful children. If a parent commits themselves to the responsibility of seeing that their child goes to school, and stays involved in their education and strives to motivate them to achieve, there is no reason why their child should be getting poor grades, regardless if there is one parent or two in the home.

Anyway, this professor is a good example of something that happens often. High intellect, but no good common sense.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
For what specific reasons would the children of single parents get poorer grades? That in itself is not an acceptable reason.

I raised my children by myself, while I worked full-time, and both are successful; one has a bachelors degree in an engineering-related field, and the other is currently working on a masters degree. Both were also in academically gifted classes through their grade-school years.

Neither of my children was "privileged" economically either. I raised them while working in low-income jobs in retail related jobs. They had to do without a lot of things their friends had. We were on food stamps at times. They went to college by taking advantage of government grants that are available to all.

I have met many single parents with successful children. If a parent commits themselves to the responsibility of seeing that their child goes to school, and stays involved in their education and strives to motivate them to achieve, there is no reason why their child should be getting poor grades, regardless if there is one parent or two in the home.
Because they lack TIME to help their kids with homework, motivate them and discipline them into being good students. Some kids need that. If parents aren't involved many kids won't care about grades and advancement. That's why.

My parents "tag teamed" me with studies. When one was busy the other go involved. Pretty simple to understand for most people. No?

There are exceptions but they are the OUTLIER.

Last edited by Pilot1; 03-13-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
GU law school's attrition rate is 1.37%.

Median starting pay is ranked 8th among top law schools.

link

It seems she may have been given to exaggerating out of frustration. She may also have a political bias like most of the people here and that automatically lowers the IQ dramatically. They're given to making attacks and oversimplifying situations.
Batson admits during the call that their own biases may be playing out unconsciously.

link

The same thing occurs in other schools where students avoid scheduling professors because they're difficult for one reason or another. It can work both ways. They might feel guilty and grade minority students higher on the curve.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:33 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The fact that she admitted that some blacks do very well means that it is not a problem of race. That's what racist have a hard time with. They can't handle that every black person doesn't fit into their box.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
The fact that she admitted that some blacks do very well means that it is not a problem of race. That's what racist have a hard time with. They can't handle that every black person doesn't fit into their box.
Race has nothing to do with it. It is their culture that causes them to choose poorly and/or fail.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Those kinds of concerns should be discussed internally.
And that's exactly what she was doing in a Zoom conversation with another colleague that she believed was private.

Quote:
If she "sees it every semester " then someone is ignoring the problem or have become complacent.
And she was trying not to ignore it. But instead of getting credit she's vilified.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
The fact that some do very well means any claims that blacks cannot succeed at Georgetown Law School due to racism are disproven. The claim that there are relatively few blacks with the ability to flourish at Georgetown is not disproven.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:26 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
IF we want to get to the root cause of this, affirmative action is letting in many blacks that otherwise aren't qualified to even be in the school, so of course once they get in they have trouble keeping up. And instead of helping them become more like their white and Asian peers, the system now wants to bring everyone down to their level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies