Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
To answer your question one would have to ask you, at what time?

For example, at one point in time the semi-nomadic peoples of eastern asia were wildly wealthy and kicked the living crap out of everyone that is a world power today while they're at close to 3rd world levels. Did they get dumber or are there far more complex factors at play?

To really do the discussion justice we'd need about a year and dozens of history books.

The real problem with the topic would be to talk to someone that is a professional fisherman and someone that is new to fishing.

The new person is going to consider perhaps bait and time of day....the pro is going to factor in tides, moonlight impacts, currents, lure type, salinity (or not) and tons of other stuff.

When considering these extremely complex situations a lot of people stop far short of doing the issue justice and go with basic cause and effect.
Well, you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Most of the asian immigration surges came well after the oppression you cite and were VERY cherry picked not towards a wide swath of the population but rather the educated. Read the entire article please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_...ar_immigration

Do you not know anyone that works in tech or STEM fields?

My two Chinese friends came here already having good degrees and are basically 130+ IQs. We're not letting in droves of 80IQ brick haulers.

This is BASIC selection bias.

At a minimum, you do not seem to understand that most Asians came here well after the internment camps and other things you mentioned and you do not seem to address the fact that they are in no way average but rather high educational acheivers to begin with.
They are referring to the Asians whose families have been here hundreds of years whose families worked on the railroads and were discriminated against as badly as blacks. But when given the opportunity they excelled, why?

Old 04-14-2021, 07:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Were her remarks reprehensible because they were true or because they unfairly described people without basis in fact? I dont know I never went to college. I do know this, my girls kicked butt.
1. We made sure that they were absolutely prepared for the university level.
2. We made sure that they had the work ethic and drive to succeed.

They didn't get Affirmative action or PC points. It was earned.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It's a complicated topic. You showed scores from 1991.

I've provided proof that a large portion of todays asians came to the US in a "cherry picked" fashion.
What do you mean by cherry-picked?

Old 04-14-2021, 07:19 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And it's very easy to pass, right? I think I remember reading that there's a 96% pass rate among med school students taking it for the first time?
Among American medical school graduates, that sounds like it is in the ballpark. Among foreign medical school graduates, I remember it being quite a bit lower, like around 80%.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:29 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Installed into classrooms where they could not keep up, graded on their aptitude not their intelligence, sent to colleges without preparation, graduating at the bottom and then promoted beyond their capabilities.

And then, of all things....when someone states the obvious that person loses their job.

Get ready, the VP is one of them.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:42 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Let me get this right, you're saying artificially propping them up is the right thing to do? What happens when they enter the workforce and aren't qualified for the job they are hired for (and I have seen it happen). Why not educate people in the field they are qualified for.
No, you got it wrong but no doubt that was your intent during strawman creation.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:46 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
What do you mean by cherry-picked?
Well, only the strongest swimmers could get here.

If you want to have a serious conversation instead of making strawman comments and intentionally evasive remarks with mr. cool emoticons then do so. If you just want me to continue to ridicule you then by all means, carry on.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No, you got it wrong but no doubt that was your intent during strawman creation.
Not strawman at all, facts.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Well, only the strongest swimmers could get here.

If you want to have a serious conversation instead of making strawman comments and intentionally evasive remarks with mr. cool emoticons then do so. If you just want me to continue to ridicule you then by all means, carry on.
So they're strawman remarks because you say so, I see. Does the cool man emoticon bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies