Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 01:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times

Advertisements

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how continued actions like this from those who mindlessly bend to the cancel culture mob only serves to radicalize some people, and provide more amenable ears for whatever it is the far right is selling.

That dean is spineless and pathetic for his knee-jerk action. And the fact he is a dean of law is just so ironically rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 04:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
White women are actually discriminated against in college admissions because they're white (strike one), and women are over-represented in college enrollment statistics (strike two).
I think it works both ways. Depending on the demographics at the time. +1 for woman or -1 for white. They'll loose out to a black woman but have the advantage over an Asian woman.

A higher percentage of white women have degrees than white men.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:45 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/54...black-students

Sounds like the professor was simply concerned and wanted to brainstorm with a colleague about how to help her black students do better. Now she's branded a "reprehensible" racist, her career ruined permanently.
Facts are not allowed in the church of liberalism. When you admit unqualified students via quotas, you will end up with poor performing students.

You see the same thing in medical schools. Usually the worst students in a medical school class are the minority students who gained their admission not via merit, but via quotas.

When you ignore facts which identify a problem, you will never solve the problem. Liberals choose to ignore these glaring "uncomfortable facts" and thus will never have an appropriate solution.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:46 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Without knowing the actual numbers (grades stratified by race?) and how law schools grade (its on a sliding scale usually but I don't know and no one has mentioned they know first hand), then what are we arguing about?

How are all of you rendering an opinion with 0 information as to the accuracy of the statement?

If the statement was inaccurate then she was fired justifabily.

I would assume if she was accurate then she could sue for wrongful termination but again how would we know, we don't know anything.

The Attrition rate is 1.7% so students are not washing out. Any other information out there?

Old 04-14-2021, 05:36 AM

As with those on Twitter and Zoom who demanded her firing, some of us here are basing our opinions on the limited information provided as third parties looking in on what happened within a snippet of time.

Me, I based it on deduction, induction, and some profiling within the context of where, when, and how this occurred. Even the word she used, “angst”, implies she had no malicious intent. If she was truly racist she would have used a word expressing disgust, anger, exasperation, not “angst”.

If I’m wrong, I’m willing to eat my words ( metaphorically of course).

But the minimum the Georgetown Dean of Law should have done was pulled all parties involved in and conduct a thorough investigation into the validity of the accusations before firing her. Give her due process, so to speak. It’s a law school for god’s sake. Highly rated. Probably teaches CRT as part of it’s curriculum.

Wouldn’t you want to be afforded the same protections should this occur to you? Not too far-fetch in today’s social media-driven cancel culture.

(And attrition rate does not provide information about how the program is run.)

Last edited by mingna; 04-14-2021 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
She wasn't.
So, you are asserting that in her class, she didn't know who was and wasn't getting the lowest grades? Please provide your evidence that you know better than the good Prof about her class.

I'll wait.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:53 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Blacks are getting into almost all universities with much lower credentials than whites and especially Asians so no surprise that they are at the bottom in grades. This has been happening since I went to college in the late 1970's.

Maybe the universities should do what the military was doing when I was in and found out that my peer (black female) got a higher evaluation than me on things that I clearly should have gotten a better review on and when I asked my Commander why, he told me that he was required to give all blacks the highest evaluation.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:55 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
White women are actually discriminated against in college admissions because they're white (strike one), and women are over-represented in college enrollment statistics (strike two).
Asian women are even more discriminated against in university admissions due to their high scores and over-representation.

I hate dividing people by race and passing out benefits based on your skin tone....whatever happened to merit only?

Old 04-14-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Asian women are even more discriminated against in university admissions due to their high scores and over-representation.

I hate dividing people by race and passing out benefits based on your skin tone....whatever happened to merit only?
Well, apparently merit is not good if it leads to you being “overqualified”.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Facts are not allowed in the church of liberalism. When you admit unqualified students via quotas, you will end up with poor performing students.

You see the same thing in medical schools. Usually the worst students in a medical school class are the minority students who gained their admission not via merit, but via quotas.

When you ignore facts which identify a problem, you will never solve the problem. Liberals choose to ignore these glaring "uncomfortable facts" and thus will never have an appropriate solution.
You see the same in residencies. Our program used to only look at the applications of residents who scored over a certain score on the Step 1 exam. A couple of years ago, our hospital decided that our residency program wasn't "diverse enough". The only way we could make it diverse enough, was to lower that minimum score, in order to match more diverse people. There is a notable difference in the quality of residents between a few years ago, and now.

BTW, I dont know if you knew this, but the Step 1 exam is being changed to pass/fail so that residency programs can't use test scores in the decision making process anymore. In the not to distant future, we are all going to have cardiac surgeons and neurosurgeons that now, would have only qualified to be internists or pediatricians. It's pretty scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies