Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 09:16 AM

17,776 posts, read 7,012,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Oh look, another dumb statement has found a friend.. everyone is dying. that does not mean I want to hasten that death by getting shot, hit by a car or contracting covid.

being old or having cancer does not equate to disposable and not an issue.
Except he didn't say that old people and cancer patients are disposable. The only people who said that, through their actions, were Democrat governors of big blue states. You probably voted for one of them.

This pandemic has illustrated how half the country doesn't appreciate the concept of risk. You are not entitled to a life free from any risk. That means you don't get to dictate everyone else's conduct, even when their conduct creates a degree of risk for you.

Sadly, the American left isn't really American anymore. They are a bunch of shrieking crybabies who think the government is responsible to take care of them from cradle to grave and ensure there is no risk along the way. Our forefathers would be disgusted with these people, just like I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 09:21 AM

995 posts, read 512,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Contrary to the New York Thruway sign, "small ask, wear a mask," mask mandates are gigantic government overreach. Masks take away our faces and make full communication impossible. They also stop children from developing the key part of their brains, the fusiform gyrus by which they will recognize faces and facial expressions for a lifetime. Masks on women are a key feature of authoritarian and jihadist ideology, and a test to see what restrictions on civil liberties the public will tolerate.

I was in favor of masks back when Fauci was telling people not to. Sure they probably help a small amount during outbreaks. However, covid cases are now plummetting everywhere, and we have three approved vaccines plus a dozen more in the pipleine, and they're saying keep wearing two or three masks even after vaccination. Now that the pandemic is over, I believe we need to actively push back against the covid anxiety and germaphobia that has been pounded into people's brains which is why I am now basically a single-issue voter against mask mandates.
I haven't read this thread yet, but I want to mention that I agree with your post 100%. Exactly how I feel.

If they want everyone to be vaccinated against this, then they need to give a real incentive to get the shot(s).

Take this uncertain, experimental vaccine and keep wearing those double masks and social distancing!

~Or~

We offer you the great medical miracle - the jab which will free you from everything covid - death, hospitals and those dreaded masks you hate so much. Stop it with the shot. Register today!

Of those two, which message should they be pushing? Which message are they actually pushing?

Jab or no, I still ain't wearing no mask.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:24 AM

6,621 posts, read 5,028,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Contrary to the New York Thruway sign, "small ask, wear a mask," mask mandates are gigantic government overreach. Masks take away our faces and make full communication impossible. They also stop children from developing the key part of their brains, the fusiform gyrus by which they will recognize faces and facial expressions for a lifetime. Masks on women are a key feature of authoritarian and jihadist ideology, and a test to see what restrictions on civil liberties the public will tolerate.

I was in favor of masks back when Fauci was telling people not to. Sure they probably help a small amount during outbreaks. However, covid cases are now plummetting everywhere, and we have three approved vaccines plus a dozen more in the pipleine, and they're saying keep wearing two or three masks even after vaccination. Now that the pandemic is over, I believe we need to actively push back against the covid anxiety and germaphobia that has been pounded into people's brains which is why I am now basically a single-issue voter against mask mandates.
Contrary to the New York Thruway sign, "small ask, wear a mask," mask mandates are gigantic government overreach.
No they are not its been proven and reaffirmed by courts, it is well within the goverments reach and there is plenty of precedence.

Masks take away our faces and make full communication impossible.
What?, sure, but full communication isnt required to buy groceries, if I am able to conduct the business over the phone, or by any other methods of communications that dont involve all the senses, I can also do the same in person without any detriment.

They also stop children from developing the key part of their brains, the fusiform gyrus by which they will recognize faces and facial expressions for a lifetime.
This is for children in a very particular developmental window, and you don't have to wear masks in your home while your parenting where your child gets 90% of the interaction. Your child wont be affected by your grocery store runs

Masks on women are a key feature of authoritarian and jihadist ideology
Is any of that enforced evenly across both genders? no you say, thats interesting.

test to see what restrictions on civil liberties the public will tolerate.
Not anymore than water restrictions are a test on how much water you can do without.

I live in Florida, and I managed a year without beating up someone for being a douchebag and catching covid. I mind my business, I quickly learned that if there is some unstable person crying about a mask is best to stay away from them, rather than say anything or try to give them a bad look. The only times I ever say something if someone gets too close, and most of the time they are just distracted and will gladly give you space. I am also 6' 3" 250, I go to the gym with a workout mask, it has dual disks and a n95 filter so it protects me allows me to breathe out easily, again no confrontations or any drama in over a year. Now that the vaccines are around the corner I couldn't careless, don't wear a mask, don't believe in shots, you are going to get the antibodies one way or another whatever works for you.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,909,925 times
As a civil libertarian and a Libertarian I chuckle at some Republicans on the right who make a big deal about wearing masks but don't seem to care about the big picture. The patriot act, civil forfeiture, the tracking of every resident in this country. Be it your smart phone or your city trash truck that as it zooms around town records every license plate parked in every driveway and every city street. Or how the warrant process has been sidestepped by technogy and used against us by the feds and local law enforcement. I could go on and on.

I agree masks should not be mandated by the government. I do think private businesses have a right to require or not require masks just has they have the right to say no shoes, no shirts no service.

I request everyone who has issues with masks to really study up on all the issues surrounding our rights being taken away from us. If all of you put just a fraction of the effort into the big picture instead of just masks we would get our rights back.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,612,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It was never a Pandemic.
Hah yet another example of politics driving people to suspend logic in order to fall in line.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM

995 posts, read 512,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The mask-wars have been lost, just as decades before, the seat-belt wars have been lost.

I viscerally detest masks, and would be ecstatic about their abatement. But that's a mere dream... and increasingly, a pipe-dream. However dreadful it may be, it's only too likely, that society will embrace mask-wearing as an essential gesture of polite public life. To be caught without a mask, would be tantamount to being caught without pants... acceptable in some narrow circumstances, but only narrow indeed.

Some of us remember when seat-belts were optional. It wasn't until the mid-1980s that the culture had massively shifted in favor of seat-belts. Then suddenly, over some half-dozen years, nearly every state passed seat-belt laws. At first seat-belts were subject only to "secondary enforcement", meaning that drivers couldn't be pulled-over for the mere lack of seat-belt usage... they had to first commit some other offense. Then that too changed, and to be a seat-belt scofflaw became a primary offense. I wonder if the same will happen with masks. Regardless, we've lost.

Now on to the next debate, in the tension between personal liberties and "public safety". Some other thing, heretofore odd or unheralded, will suddenly become common, expected, and then legally mandated. And so on.
I disagree with your first sentence. The mask-wars will never be over, so long as I am alive.

But yes, I share your fear that masks are here to stay, and that it'll be not acceptable to be in public without them. If the mask-mania does't go away by June, I plan on taking a very long road trip around the country to find the perfect "no-mask" community (I know they're out there.) And then I'll make plans to move there.

I'm simply not capable of living in a masked-up world.

Those are you who say all of is temporary, how then, a full year in any way shape or form "temporary?" Anything over a year is permanent in my book. Ya'll better be tossing me some bones as to when the masks go away, or I'll just be a "no-vaxxer" just as a matter of principle. And yes, I have a LOT of company.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:48 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,909,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I disagree with your first sentence. The mask-wars will never be over, so long as I am alive.

But yes, I share your fear that masks are here to stay, and that it'll be not acceptable to be in public without them. If the mask-mania does't go away by June, I plan on taking a very long road trip around the country to find the perfect "no-mask" community (I know they're out there.) And then I'll make plans to move there.
My area of Oklahoma has been free of all of this since last May. Everything is open. I usually go back and forth from my Arizona home seasonally but have spent most of my time here the past year due to the relaxed rules. And the case and death counts per capital are 30% of the numbers in my Arizona zip code which has been under massive restrictions for a year. I spent a week in Arizona in December and caught covid. So there you go. I ended up stuck there 4 weeks until I fully recovered. Not going back until all is back to normal there.

I am sure there are lots of places like my area.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:02 AM

34,286 posts, read 18,664,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Superb post. Thank you for being sane. Those people are now in short supply. +1
Agreed. Can't rep you again.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:08 AM

15,885 posts, read 21,497,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Seriously? You can wear a mask for the rest of your life. Happy now? Guess you're not a business owner that had their life destroyed.

What businesses have been destroyed by a piece of cloth?

I have offered free support to local businesses in exchange for testimonials, and several intend to keep my services past the pandemic. All of my clients agree that a hard shut down would have helped their businesses more than this half in-half out nonsense that has kept the pandemic dragging on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
She doesn't care about any business owner. She cares about getting free health care and being taken care of by the government. I suspect that she'll do whatever she's told by the government as long as she gets her free stuff.

Bless your heart, I didn't even qualify for "free stuff" while working full time through stage IV cancer at a 23 year old. I pay out far more than I take in.

And what does that have to do with my freedom to be naked in the grocery store, public transit, or a restaurant. What about MY freedoms?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:20 AM

36,727 posts, read 31,015,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Of all the things in the world to get upset about, wearing a mask seems pretty petty to me.

It’s not killing you.
So blindly do what the government mandates, without any actually real scientific evidence of its benefits, even if the mandate keeps changing and the directives make no logical sense because it wont kill you.

Last edited by 2mares; 03-15-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies