Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 12:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times

Advertisements

No question some college students use proceeds from student loans to party during spring break.

No question, spring break crowds attract those whose sole intent is to supply people with drugs and/ or who view visitors as easy prey. More sharks on land than in the water.

Now throw COVID into the mix. Florida has more active COVID variants than any other state.

Then there’s the 500,000 visitors who attended Bike Week in Daytona Beach, last week. This is an older crowd than typical spring breakers.

All these visitors will return to wherever they came from and no question, some will be packing Aggressive COVID variants.

The big biker event in Sturgis, SD in August, 2020 is believed to have been the trigger for the COVID surge in the upper midwest that eventually culminated with the Dakotas have the distinction of having the highest COVID hospitalization and fatality rate in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion
What ever happened to that purported Covid spike in response to that massive motorcycle gathering half a year ago.................Crickets....?

Covid is a deadly blood disease and people are just as deadly in destroying economies.

Let Life carry on and let people make the choice to protect themselves.
The Sturgis event in SD is believed to have been the trigger for the COVID surge in the upper Midwest.

The Dakotas achieved the highest COVID hospitalization and fatality rates in the world and it spread throughout the upper Midwest.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The Mayor has the same problem as China Joe and his admin. but China Joe isn't arresting anyone over it but instead is letting them loose !!!

Mr. Mayor let my people go !!!

OP link :

"We've got a problem with too many people coming here. We've got a problem with too many people coming here to let loose."
This week a year ago, Trump announced new Federal guidelines to close schools, non essential businesses and comply with state orders. Most states imposed restrictions. Likely no two states reacted the same way.

One of my personal favorites is the Governor of Wyoming who told his constituents to “stop being knuckleheads” or he was going to impose restrictions. His constituents ignored him. COVID surged. The Governor imposed restrictions. See how that works.

Personal favorite restrictions include those states/ counties/ local governments who decided restaurants had to close by xx:00 or table side was limited to X, because as everyone knows, COVID only emerges after xx:00 or it’s the 5th diner at the table who is shedding the virus.

Most folk like to believe that if they have a true medical emergency, they will be able to receive immediate medical attention. That was not always possible in some areas as hospitals put themselves on diversion. Alternatively, ambulances had to wait to unload because there was no room inside. Massive refrigerated semi trucks stored the corpses because funeral homes/ crematoriums/ cemeteries were full.

Medical professionals, in some hospitals, were forced to decide which patients had the best shot at survival for medical attention.

The entire US hospital system could have collapsed had all states decided to just let it rip. Talk about panic in the streets.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:50 PM

20,166 posts, read 9,069,121 times
slip on a BLM T-shirt and party on!

Old 03-18-2021, 06:48 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What most people don't know is Sobe has gone downhill for many, many years now. All of the locals I know will not go to the beach anymore. I was there in July as I was visiting back home. I left in 15 mins because I felt unsafe and I kid you not, 20 mins after I left a specific spot I was standing in, a guy was robbed with a gun in broad daylight. It literally has become the wild wild west down there with the shootings, robberies, and stabbings occurring daily.

It's no longer limited to spring break...
So it's like how it was back in the 1980s? Are they going to come out with a new Scarface movie for 2021 Miami?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2021, 06:51 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Normal people are starting to avoid larger cities around the US for that very reason.

We used to go into St.Louis and Memphis for shows/sporting events, but have curbed those activities and only go to the "safe zones". You can still go into the Fox Theater (when it reopens)without getting rolled, but should probably avoid a Cardinals night game.Memphis is Memphis.
"The Cardinals had overall attendance of 3.48 million at Busch Stadium in the regular season. That ranks second in Major League Baseball, trailing only the Dodgers’ home attendance of 3.97 million. The New York Yankees were third in MLB and tops in the American League with total attendance of 3.3 million at Yankee Stadium."

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...ttendance.html

Those are 2019 numbers.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2021, 06:56 AM

7,029 posts, read 2,731,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The spring breakers just have to declare an autonomous zone, put up barricades, a few slogan filled signs, and declare no police allowed.
We DID have a wall the last time I went for Spring Break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrtWd5zW_4A

Old 03-18-2021, 07:10 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,997,793 times
We’re already screwed. Took us too long to act proactively. . Now there’s billions of variants everywhere. Just open everything up and protect elderly

Old 03-18-2021, 07:17 AM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Sturgis event in SD is believed to have been the trigger for the COVID surge in the upper Midwest.

The Dakotas achieved the highest COVID hospitalization and fatality rates in the world and it spread throughout the upper Midwest.
The upper midwest Covid crisis was anchored around the meat packing industry and (in Nebraska) a large quincinera.

Many of these are illegals that can't stay home from work, didn't get a stimulus check, live multi-generational housing and don't have healthcare etc. making them particularily vulnerable.

I've not seen anything scientific pinning things on Sturgis and while I'm sure it didn't help, be very careful about what news sources are choosing to report in an effort to provide tasty affirmation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3137400001/

There are a host of articles supporting this, just completely factual as to where the worst outbreaks have been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact..._United_States

Old 03-18-2021, 10:55 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,491,867 times
People this ISN"T about masks or contracting the Rona. It's about the crowd that is currently in Miami Beach. Stop mixing the two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies