Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

John Ford's classic 1956 work was shown on TCM earlier tonight; I'll assume that most of us are familiar with this film*, but I will note that it is often cited as one of the finest westerns ever produced, that the plight and treatment of the Native peoples is treated with more dignity than was common at the time and that leading actor John Wayne portrayed a much darker, and more complex character than was the case for most of his melodramatic shoot-'em-ups.

But immediately upon the close of the film a typically "woke" critic had to offer her two cents, and to call for the recently-invented disclaimers to "sanitize" the story, and to bring it into line with the sensitivities of the Snowflake Generation. No one seems willing to recognize that the film itself recognizes and conforms to the values of its day, or that within fifteen years, films such as Little Big Man would recognize the disparity, and would present the same subject matter in an entirely different perspective.

So apparently the cultivation of new prejudice is more important than the recognition and correction of the old.

*NOTE: For anyone seeking a more detailed study of the origins of this film, I'd strongly recommend Glenn Frankel's 2014 book The Searchers; the Making of an American Legend.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-18-2021 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
How about on modern and new films, we have a conservative gives a disclaimer? How would the left like those apples?

Old 03-18-2021, 10:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
John Ford's classic 1956 work was shown on TCM earlier tonight; I'll assume that most of us are familiar with this film, but I will note that it is often cited as one of the finest westerns ever produced, that the plight and treatment of the Native peoples is treated with more dignity than was common at the time and that leading actor John Wayne portrayed a much darker, and more complex character than was the case for most of his melodramatic shoot-'em-ups.

But immediately upon the close of the film a typically "woke" critic had to offer her two cents, and to call for the recently-invented disclaimers to "sanitize" the story, and to bring it into line with the sensitivities of the Snowflake Generation. No one seems willing to recognize that the film itself recognizes and conforms to the values of its day, or that within fifteen years, films such as Little Big Man would recognize the disparity, and would present the same subject matter in an entirely different perspective.

So apparently the cultivation of new prejudice is more important than the recognition and correction of the old.
TCM still shows the movies in their entirety, which is the most important thing, but yeah some of that analyzing is annoying. There was a recent Astaire/Rogers movie, I think it was Swing Time, where the host warned that Astaire did a number in black face. The host then added that it was meant to be a show of respect to Bojangles Robinson. At the time it was probably looked upon as a flattering tribute by moviegoers and even by Robinson himself. It was a different time.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:23 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
The Searchers is a hard movie to watch, even taking into consideration when it was made and that it did, as the OP noted, treat Native people as more than a backdrop or a savage, uneducated enemy. Still, I would have appreciated that discussion when I first saw the film 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
But immediately upon the close of the film a typically "woke" critic had to offer her two cents, and to call for the recently-invented disclaimers to "sanitize" the story
What exactly was this person advocating for? Could you describe those "two cents"?

Comcast has decided that I need to pay $10/month to get TCM, so I haven't been able to watch it in awhile.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:50 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I foresee an eventual ban on public offerings* of the following --

- All movies, television shows and books that do not have any characters except those who are Euro-white (meaning not Hispanic-white) unless they are part of the LGBT community

- All movies, television shows and books that portray any straight Christian Euro-white character as being intelligent and moral

- All movies, television shows and books that show any people who are not Euro-white as anything but intelligent, moral and successful people unless they are shown as victims of Euro-white cruelty

*Meaning that they will not be broadcast or offered through public schools and/or libraries

Last edited by katharsis; 03-19-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-19-2021, 11:20 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Searchers is a hard movie to watch, even taking into consideration when it was made and that it did, as the OP noted, treat Native people as more than a backdrop or a savage, uneducated enemy. Still, I would have appreciated that discussion when I first saw the film 40 years ago.

What exactly was this person advocating for? Could you describe those "two cents"?

Comcast has decided that I need to pay $10/month to get TCM, so I haven't been able to watch it in awhile.
Last night on TCM I watched Breakfast At Tiffany's. The 3 hosts' talk centered on Mickey Rooney's absurd caricature of a Japanese man. Someone described it as cringe-worthy, which it is. The hosts spoke of nothing else concerning the movie other than the Rooney performance. That is unfortunate because the Rooney character is just a blip in otherwise very good movie.

A person can either accept past social norms as being part of the fabric of those bygone cultures or, view those past social norms by today's standards and condemn those people, and their work. I choose the latter.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:50 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How about on modern and new films, we have a conservative gives a disclaimer? How would the left like those apples?
Well, it would be refreshingly honest to hear someone deliver a pro-racism/anti-LGBT commentary, but something tells me mainstream conservatism isn't ready for that just yet.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieA View Post
The Handmaid's Tale is tough to watch. It revolves around repeated sexual assault yet it is sensationalized and not canceled. Gee I wonder why that is.
Because there's a difference between depicting an act and backing an act. Shakespeare wasn't in favor of regicide, either.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieA View Post
I would disagree...
You'd be wrong, then.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, it would be refreshingly honest to hear someone deliver a pro-racism/anti-LGBT commentary, but something tells me mainstream conservatism isn't ready for that just yet.
No it would point out the anti-white racism and anti-American viewpoints in the modern medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies