Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 01:14 PM

11,863 posts, read 5,835,602 times

Advertisements

Yep - they'll just 3D print them - where there is a will there is a way for those wo aren't law abiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 01:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Get rid of semi-auto guns and we will still have shootings, but the death toll will be far smaller. Semi-autos are convenient but not really necessary for any legitimate purpose. The Founders did not have them when they penned the 2A.

But they did have them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookson_repeater
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonica_gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girardoni_air_rifle

Old 03-24-2021, 01:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
people have a problem by seeking mental health care but being denied?

I know we all feel that mass killers = mentally-unstable, but that doesn't mean everyone who's mentally unstable has mass-killing tendencies. It's not "either I get mental health care, or I might buy a gun and kill a bunch of people".
Yes. Healthcare in the US (especially 'luxuries' like mental health care') is a luxury for the wealthy. Out of pocket cost should not prevent a person from getting mental health treatment.

Obviously it's not as black and white as "I get mental health care, or I go kill people", but increasing our ability to treat root causes of mental illnesses WILL help here.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,890,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Don't let anyone convince you that having mass shootings in our everyday lives is just something we have to live with.

If someone is dead set on causing harm to others they will figure out a way to fullfil that mission. Do you want to outlaw semi trucks, cars, or anything that can go boom??

Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Get rid of semi-auto guns and we will still have shootings, but the death toll will be far smaller. Semi-autos are convenient but not really necessary for any legitimate purpose. The Founders did not have them when they penned the 2A.

They didn't have revolvers either. Get rid of them too?

Old 03-24-2021, 01:26 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,660,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There are not mass shooting every day. And since guns dont act on their own, you might look elsewhere for a solution.
Nukes dont push their own button. So guess I should get my own nuke?

If you want to go strictly by the constitution as written in 18th century, you should limit mention of guns and firearms in constitution to the technology available in that day and time. Current technology wasnt even imagined at that time so couldnt be accounted for. Everybody can own their own musket and squirrel rifle and archery equipment as available at the time. Beyond that, you need a new law for new technology. The original framers couldnt have imagined that guy in Vegas spraying bullets willy nilly out of a tall hotel building window 59 Killed and More Than 500 Hurt using a single gun before anybody could stop him. Not sure if that was final count, its what was in this article. https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/la...ay-bay-n806461 Could well been more dead after dust settled but thats enough to make my point.

Either you truly believe in limiting constitution to technology of the time it was written or you dont believe in it limiting anything.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Don't let anyone convince you that having mass shootings in our everyday lives is just something we have to live with.

The world is full of whack jobs.

There are more firearms than people in the US, incredible given reportedly only 3/10 people own firearms.

Gun ownership is a privilege, not a right, in most countries. Only three countries in the world protect the right of ownership, Guatemala, Mexico and the US. The US is the only with no constitutional restrictions.

Takes 2/3 of Congress and 2/3 of states to ratify an amendment.

Not going to happen.

So, thoughts and prayers......

Old 03-24-2021, 01:28 PM

26,557 posts, read 15,122,902 times
Perfectly honest - on some issues I am more on the Democrat's side and I generally agreed more with them on gun control than Republicans.

However, after seeing leftist insurrection left unchecked in hundreds of riots the past year, I think I am now opposed to stricter gun control and am more likely to buy a gun now.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:30 PM

7,961 posts, read 3,499,152 times
2nd amendment only applies to state militias equipped with 1700's technology, and the first amendment only applies to spoken words amplified with no more than a paper cone and pamphlets printed on an old timey printing press.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:01 PM

17,826 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Perfectly honest - on some issues I am more on the Democrat's side and I generally agreed more with them on gun control than Republicans.

However, after seeing leftist insurrection left unchecked in hundreds of riots the past year, I think I am now opposed to stricter gun control and am more likely to buy a gun now.
Quote:
Men who own handguns are eight times more likely to die of gun suicides than men who don’t own handguns, and women who own handguns are 35 times more likely than women who don’t.
I encourage all conservatives to own a gun(s)...

For self protection of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies