Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 01:00 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Snips for the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Biggest talking point is “stay in school, get a job, don’t join a gang, and take care of your family”. Yes this is the big talking point black people really need to hear. And the only people who ever tell black people they need to listen to black conservative commentators are white conservatives.

So what do they think. That black people aren’t ware of these things. As if black community is this bizzaro dimension where every encourages everyone to drop out school, join a gang, and abandon their children. News flash this preachy posturing is probably mode prevalent in the black community than probably any other community. Every preached and school teacher says this.

So I’m convinced that black conservatism and it’s talking point isn’t really meant for black peoples. It’s just a political vehicle to get black people to switch parties. And that’s kind of why it lacks any real substance. It isn’t really that radical since both parties are basically interchangeable at this point and will mostly attack problems in the same exact ways.

If all black people need to do is stay in school and get a great job. Then great. They don’t need to change parties to do that. They can do that no matter who is in office. That’s not a political movement that’s a self help guide.
The reason why this is a big talking point is because many aren't doing it.

Education is an area where politics are huge. You can say "stay in school" all you want. But if the schools aren't teaching the kids - as what happens in many government run liberal schools in black neighborhoods - then school is useless. The people making the decisions for what the school teaches, and set the standards for what is expected from the students, matter.

Quote:
As much as I hate police the mass problem of police brutality is solvable. Just move to a nice neighborhood and keep a low profile. I’m a 41 year old black man and I’ve never been stopped by the police once in my entire life. Mostly because I just avoid the situation entirely. That could be a personality thing, but whatever. Police are mostly useless and avoiding them is pretty easy when you leave the hood. I live in Philly and I know plenty of neighborhoods that are safe and I barely see police. And are inexpensive. If you can avoid police interactions in a city like Philly you can probably avoid them anywhere. Except Atlanta. But they typically just like to give our tickets and usually don’t shoot you.
What if you don't have the money to move to a nice neighborhood? Most instances of police brutality occur when people don't listen to the cops and behave erratically. I say "most" because i believe Freddie Gray and George Floyd were absolutely murdered.

Quote:
Overall black conservatism sucks because its not really solving any problems. Or it’s not addressing any problems that could reasonably be solved by the political process. The reason why Democrats have failed with black people because you can politically strong arm your way into black prosperity. Since black prosperity really isn’t a political issue at all. And Republicans probably have even less of a clue. They have an issue doing anything meaningful for their existing base besides Sloganism.
It seems like you are looking to political parties to solve problems. That's not their job - and it shouldn't be their job. People have to solve their own problems. Government can either make it easier or harder for people to solve their own problems.

I don't identify with parties left or right. I look at the actual people. Trump's policies for helping people of all classes were great. Deregulation was great. Prison reform helped many low level male black offenders in jail. Did he act like an SOB at times? Yep. But if he is getting positive things done that helped blacks have record low unemployment and record high wages - then who cares what he acts like. His work showed up in the presidential vote as he got 50% more black folk that voted for him. He took time to meet black folks and hear the concerns. Obama did none of that. If Democrats really wanted to help black folk, it would have been done by now... but they don't.

However, like you said - most Republicans in general are weak and kind of blah. But Democrats are simply unelectable right now. They are dangerous and a serious threat to the well being of the country.

The best thing I can say is to vote for people, and support people who will allow you to solve your own problems. If you need a job, which policies need to be supported so that I and many others can work. which policies will allow me to protect myself and limit crime in the community?

Old 03-28-2021, 01:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Snips for the OP...

Education is an area where politics are huge. You can say "stay in school" all you want. But if the schools aren't teaching the kids - as what happens in many government run liberal schools in black neighborhoods - then school is useless. The people making the decisions for what the school teaches, and set the standards for what is expected from the students, matter.

What if you don't have the money to move to a nice neighborhood? Most instances of police brutality occur when people don't listen to the cops and behave erratically. I say "most" because i believe Freddie Gray and George Floyd were absolutely murdered.

It seems like you are looking to political parties to solve problems. That's not their job - and it shouldn't be their job. People have to solve their own problems. Government can either make it easier or harder for people to solve their own problems.

I don't identify with parties left or right. I look at the actual people. Trump's policies for helping people of all classes were great. Deregulation was great. Prison reform helped many low level male black offenders in jail. Did he act like an SOB at times? Yep. But if he is getting positive things done that helped blacks have record low unemployment and record high wages - then who cares what he acts like. His work showed up in the presidential vote as he got 50% more black folk that voted for him. He took time to meet black folks and hear the concerns. Obama did none of that. If Democrats really wanted to help black folk, it would have been done by now... but they don't.

However, like you said - most Republicans in general are weak and kind of blah. But Democrats are simply unelectable right now. They are dangerous and a serious threat to the well being of the country.

The best thing I can say is to vote for people, and support people who will allow you to solve your own problems. If you need a job, which policies need to be supported so that I and many others can work. which policies will allow me to protect myself and limit crime in the community?
You talked about each point yet somehow missed the entire point of this post. The point was that politics are pointless. Yet black conservatives are just walking ads for the Republican Party. My whole point is that political process and parties don’t matter. And which is why black conservative is so silly

Old 03-28-2021, 01:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
this is very interesting to me. The OP said:

Quote:
If all black people need to do is stay in school and get a great job. Then great. They don’t need to change parties to do that. They can do that no matter who is in office. That’s not a political movement that’s a self help guide.
It's never been as simple as just "stay in school and get a great job". That's way oversimplified, as a lot of your points are. The only people it's that simple for are the children of business owners who for some legal reason must only employ college grads (degree skills obtained) or higher.

What one needs to do is stay in school and EARN an education. Attempt to do so in area that you enjoy, will apply yourself to, and can succeed at. Success is excelling at a skill, not a $ figure.

Quote:

The schools aren't teaching the kids, or the kids aren't being taught what they should be taught or "need" to be taught? Anybody that has seen my posts in education topics knows I'm a big proponent of teaching the appropriate topics and skills. Nobody that's forgoing a career in STEM needs calculus. 90% of HS students need "budgeting & life math".

Old 03-28-2021, 01:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
You talked about each point yet somehow missed the entire point of this post. The point was that politics are pointless. Yet black conservatives are just walking ads for the Republican Party. My whole point is that political process and parties don’t matter. And which is why black conservative is so silly
it took all of us, it seems, until this post to understand what the point of the topic was.

All identity politics is silly.

And as I said before, the polarization has made it worse. For example, you've got factions of the right who defend our defense spending only because they know there's a faction of Dems who oppose it. Similarly, there's a faction of Dems who don't believe in abortion past a date, but they'll support it anyway because they believe otherwise it will be eliminated completely.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
As a black conservative I largely agree with your criticisms of the black conservative mainstream spokespeople. Of the pop culture iconic ones--I think I tend to agree with Larry Elder more than any of the others.

But within the legislature, a lot of my criticisms rest on their lack of concrete solutions that would uniquely benefit the black community. People like Tim Wise and Mia Love really do nothing for me as it pertains to doing and/or speaking about something related to AAs. Don't get me wrong though--they are far better than the trough of black democrats who play as pets to the Democrat mainstream. They do a major disservice to AAs and stifle just about any progress that can potentially uplift our communities.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:13 PM

10,747 posts, read 4,342,219 times
President Trump reformed the federal prison system with The First Step Act, a criminal justice bill which enacted reforms that make our justice system fairer and help former inmates successfully return to society.
The First Step Act’s reforms addressed inequities in sentencing laws that disproportionately harmed Black Americans and reformed mandatory minimums that created unfair outcomes.
The First Step Act expanded judicial discretion in sentencing of non-violent crimes.
Over 90% of those benefiting from the retroactive sentencing reductions in the First Step Act are Black Americans.

President Trump promoted “opportunity zones” that incentivized private investment into marginalized communities.
President Trump provided $250 million per year (after the Obama administration had removed $85 million) to the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) with a 10-year commitment.
President Trump signed an executive order on law enforcement reform that said "chokeholds will be banned except if an officer’s life is at risk" among other amendments to police conduct.

President Trump nominated the first ever African-American for promotion to Air Force Chief of Staff, Gen. Charles Q. Brown, Jr.
President Trump nominated the first ever African-American woman for promotion to General in the U.S. Marine Corps, Col. Lorna M. Mahlock.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:15 PM

10,747 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Also I should note-
Sitting with Van Jones, Kushner agreed to make one more run at the Senate majority leader. “There was a look in Jared’s eye,” Jones recalls. And so, the President’s son-in-law and White House aides again appealed to McConnell, arguing that the time had come for a vote and it was his role to show that vocal critics of the effort, like Arkansas Republican Tom Cotton, don’t run the Senate GOP conference. The effort appeared to work. The next day, McConnell announced he was scheduling a vote on the bill.
https://time.com/5486560/prison-refo...rdashian-west/

Old 03-28-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a black conservative I largely agree with your criticisms of the black conservative mainstream spokespeople. Of the pop culture iconic ones--I think I tend to agree with Larry Elder more than any of the others.

But within the legislature, a lot of my criticisms rest on their lack of concrete solutions that would uniquely benefit the black community. People like Tim Wise and Mia Love really do nothing for me as it pertains to doing and/or speaking about something related to AAs. Don't get me wrong though--they are far better than the trough of black democrats who play as pets to the Democrat mainstream. They do a major disservice to AAs and stifle just about any progress that can potentially uplift our communities.
I’m not a fan of Larry Elder. He’s just way too one note for my taste. 100% of the time without fail you know who side he is going to take. And he does too many mental gymnastics to take the points he does take. I use to like him somewhat back in the 90s. But he just became a typical estabaliahment republican basically parroting whatever he thinks his conservative overlords want to hear. I actually find him insanely disingenuous. Unlike Candace Owens he does have the ability to be more nuanced but he mostly squanders it.

Plus I never hear him talk about anything besides how much black people suck. As much as I don’t like Owens at least she attempts to expand beyond this same tired talking point. She does it pretty poorly like her attempting to debate climate control on Joe Rogan which was a laudable disaster. But she makes the effort.

Elder is just the same ol song. Which is why he continues to be irrelevant.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
President Trump reformed the federal prison system with The First Step Act, a criminal justice bill which enacted reforms that make our justice system fairer and help former inmates successfully return to society.
The First Step Act’s reforms addressed inequities in sentencing laws that disproportionately harmed Black Americans and reformed mandatory minimums that created unfair outcomes.
The First Step Act expanded judicial discretion in sentencing of non-violent crimes.
Over 90% of those benefiting from the retroactive sentencing reductions in the First Step Act are Black Americans.

President Trump promoted “opportunity zones” that incentivized private investment into marginalized communities.
President Trump provided $250 million per year (after the Obama administration had removed $85 million) to the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) with a 10-year commitment.
President Trump signed an executive order on law enforcement reform that said "chokeholds will be banned except if an officer’s life is at risk" among other amendments to police conduct.

President Trump nominated the first ever African-American for promotion to Air Force Chief of Staff, Gen. Charles Q. Brown, Jr.
President Trump nominated the first ever African-American woman for promotion to General in the U.S. Marine Corps, Col. Lorna M. Mahlock.
Nobody cares about Trump

Old 03-28-2021, 02:22 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I have to point out that the loosely defined "conservative" movement continues to undergo a transformation from a "traditionalist" to a (uncapitalized, please) libertarian perspective; this process has now been underway for about sixty years.

Quote:
American Conservatism isn’t so much about keeping things the same despite its name. American conservatism isn’t actually conservatism at all. It’s actually Classical Liberalism. Classical liberalism is a healthy distrust for government, individual responsibility, and a healthy distrust of government. It is also about reducing government.
Absolutely true! And the Libertarian Party, as opposed to the broad-spectrum libertarian movement, has been emphasizing this point since its founding. But I don't envision that movement maturing into a mainstream party in the manner of the Republicans in the late 1850's.

The present-day Democratic Party saw the height of its rise to prominence with the triumph of the New Deal
-- and the old-style class-warfare nostrum which has devolved into the "bonus for every bastard" (except mature white males) strategy called "identity politics" -- with interests such as the "entertainment" industry, the high tech media. and the public employee unions at the forefront. But regardless if the long-term outcome, the rise and fall (for now) of Donald Trump demonstrated that a lot of us aren't swilling Papa Joe and Sister Kam's snake oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
Until they (intended to mean all conservatives) lose an election. Then law and order be damned.
Please stop falling back on this (already) shopworn, lame excuse; it's wearing a little thin.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-28-2021 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies