Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I support regulation, not a law, defining guidelines for family size. I would not want to see a China style oversight of family size which leads to many abortions and unwanted girls, but I would like to see some reasonable guidelines for family size thus avoiding the "Duggars" syndrome of runaway child production!
A "regulation" is a law Steve

A "regulation" cannot be adopted without enabling legislation - a law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
The Duggars are definitely an exception to the rule!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My question still is:

Does anyone here advocate / support A LAW limiting the number of biological children a family can have?
No. No law is necessary on something where good judgment and common sense would have sufficed.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Perhaps the the Duggars should have considered their God's desire that foster and orphaned children should have loving parents rather than performing as a sire and dame and add more children to a world were millions of children have nothing, let alone any parents!
That's it Steve. You're outta here.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
How many of you talking about adoption have actually adopted?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Bill Gothard's principles as well as those of Doug Philips, are very extreme. They make the RCC look liberal in comparison. As a current practicing Catholic, I don't see RCC that conservative in the U.S., and if it is, people are certainly not following the "have all the kids you can have" mantra, that's for sure. We have 7 children ourselves; I don't see huge Catholic families in our churches and schools; nothing like it was year ago.

Under Doug Philips and the Vision Forum preaching, women are subjugated as being subservient to men, men are the patriarchs of the family, women need to "submit" to the man, some aren't even allowed to speak in church as women are to remain silent. What people fail to realize is that this whole Quiverfull movement is not just about having as many kids as possible, there are political and social, and other overtones involved. It is about producing enough "Christian warriors" to overcome the evil in this world. It's about having enough "Christian warriors" to influence the politics and associated legislation in our country. I'm really sorry that people are not "getting that", that they're still stuck on the: how many kids a family has issue. No one really cares. Most people have the attitude that if you can afford them and take care of them, then more power to you. This is NOT about that; Bill Gothard and Doug Philips are not about that. If you think that RCC is about the Dark Ages, you haven't seen anything yet until you read the ideology and legalistic text of either of these two men, especially Doug Philips.

'Arrows for the War' | AlterNet - The Christian 'Quiverfull' movement measures a mother's spiritual resolve by the number of children she raises, each one an arrow in the quiver of God's army.

ABC News: The More the Holier? - When Having Kids is a Religious Experience - A Growing Movement for Growing Families for God

Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Andrea Yates was involved in this movement; something that the Quiverfull people try to label as an anomoly, try to distance themselves from. Here's a write-up on that:

The Quiverfull Movement, Hate Speech and Discrimination Against Women as Women « Women’s Space - Andrea Yates
...and again, the pot calls the kettle black...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A "regulation" is a law Steve

A "regulation" cannot be adopted without enabling legislation - a law
Thanks for correcting my legislative knowledge!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard
Perhaps the the Duggars should have considered their God's desire that foster and orphaned children should have loving parents rather than performing as a sire and dame and add more children to a world were millions of children have nothing, let alone any parents!

Quote:
laysayfair
That's it Steve. You're outta here.
I'm always glad to oblige the less than open minded OP's!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't think some of you know what an earned income tax credit is. It is a credit given to low income families with 1 or more children and it is capped at 2 or more children at $4,716. This family is not a low income family and are not dependent on the government or anyone else.
We've already been over this on this thread.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Well if you want to bring GOD into the matter. What is God's desire for the people who abandon their own children in this world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies