Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 08:43 AM

2,082 posts, read 923,945 times

Advertisements

Interesting.....Read it and weep, Anti Constitutionalists

Majority of voters, including nearly half of Democrats, prefer to live where gun ownership is legal

A strong majority of U.S. voters in a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen – including nearly half of Democratic voters surveyed – say they would prefer to live in communities where gun ownership is legal.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...live-where-gun

Also.....

Majority of voters blame mass shootings on mental illness, gang violence

A majority of U.S. voters blame mass shootings not on access to firearms but on mental illness and gang activity, according to a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...-gang-violence

Old 04-02-2021, 08:46 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
It’s true.

You see mass exodus of Californians to AZ, Utah, Texas, Idaho, Nevada.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:53 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times
The ownership of guns or any type of lethal weaponry has never really been the issue. The real issue is keeping weapons out of the hands of mentally or emotionally unstable and careless and untrained owners.

It is just politically unpopular to make laws concerning those two groups.

I have always thought the best solution is to treat ownership like car ownership. Register, test and permit.

If you are not up to some criminal act and know how to take care of and sensibly use a gun there should be no issue.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:03 AM

764 posts, read 234,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
The ownership of guns or any type of lethal weaponry has never really been the issue. The real issue is keeping weapons out of the hands of mentally or emotionally unstable and careless and untrained owners.

It is just politically unpopular to make laws concerning those two groups.

I have always thought the best solution is to treat ownership like car ownership. Register, test and permit.

If you are not up to some criminal act and know how to take care of and sensibly use a gun there should be no issue.
Once again...…… explain how a registry makes us safer by preventing a crime /tragedy. Be specific.
I am not trying to provoke you, I just want to know.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:14 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Once again...…… explain how a registry makes us safer by preventing a crime /tragedy. Be specific.
I am not trying to provoke you, I just want to know.
I can help here. A more restrictive registration based system would reduce gun violence events stochastically. For instance let's say in a completely unrestricted environment lets say 10/100000 people would commit some kind of gun violence in their lifetime. With some level of restrictions let's say instead only 5 of those 10 are able to still get a gun legally and 3 of the remaining 5 do so illegally. So 8/10. Assuming an even distribution of injuries and deaths from each event, that amounts to a 20% reduction in casualties. Obviously, there are illegal ways to aquire fire arms as well, but these are not as easy and not everyone will go to the extra effort to do so when taken at a population rather than anecdotal level.

A registration/licensing/testing system such as a driver's license or a hunters liscense is a form of a barrier to entry, stochastically it decreases access to the thing being liscensed at a population level. Another barrier to entry is cost, for instance if a car cost 1 billion dollars not many people would drive. With 0 gun laws in play but a cost of 10000 dollars per bullet, you wouldn't see many gun crimes.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 04-02-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Considering what happened last summer in most major cities (BLM/Antifa), this figure should be well over 90 percent...

Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I can help here. A more restrictive registration based system would reduce gun violence events stochastically. For instance let's say in a completely unrestricted environment lets say 10/100000 people would commit some kind of gun violence in their lifetime. With some level of restrictions let's say instead only 5 of those 10 are able to still get a gun legally and 3 of the remaining 5 do so illegally. So 8/10. Assuming an even distribution of injuries and deaths from each event, that amounts to a 20% reduction in casualties. Obviously, there are illegal ways to aquire fire arms as well, but these are not as easy and not everyone will go to the extra effort to do so when taken at a population rather than anecdotal level.

A registration/licensing/testing system such as a driver's license or a hunters liscense is a form of a barrier to entry, stochastically it decreases access to the thing being liscensed at a population level. Another barrier to entry is cost, for instance if a car cost 1 billion dollars not many people would drive. With 0 gun laws in play but a cost of 10000 dollars per bullet, you wouldn't see many gun crimes.
You did exactly what all other gun control advocates do...……. you DID NOT specifically address how a REGISTRY prevents a shooting/tragedy. What you said in a nutshell is that it discourages gun ownership so that overall numbers of gun owners decline. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if its a registry or some other restriction that's all that counts? Because that is exactly the point that gun ownership advocates are trying to make. A REGISTRY IN AND OF ITSELF DOES NOT PREVENT SHOOTING INCIDENTS.

Also.....If that is the point you are making, then aren't you admitting that you are simply trying to restrict a constitutionally protected right by any means you can? Like a poll tax or property ownership to vote etc.? I'm pretty sure if you openly state that, The Supreme Court is going to weigh in. Oh wait, they already have.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:43 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
You did exactly what all other gun control advocates do...……. you DID NOT specifically address how a REGISTRY prevents a shooting/tragedy. What you said in a nutshell is that it discourages gun ownership so that overall numbers of gun owners decline. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if its a registry or some other restriction that's all that counts? Because that is exactly the point that gun ownership advocates are trying to make. A REGISTRY IN AND OF ITSELF DOES NOT PREVENT SHOOTING INCIDENTS.
Any barriers to entry no matter how minor decreases overall numbers at a population level, for any thing that is restricted(not just guns)

The person your initial response to was talking about a liscensing system. I assumed that since you responded to that post that that is what you were talking about since the other option was that you responded with a red herring completely off topic to the post you were replying to. I like to give credit to people I talk to to assume at least a baseline level of reading comprehension. Since I don't really feel like continuing a conversation which someone who is just one sidedly shouting random responses unrelated to the content they are replying to, have fun with that.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Any barriers to entry no matter how minor decreases overall numbers at a population level, for any thing that is restricted(not just guns)

The person your initial response to was talking about a liscensing system. I assumed that since you responded to that post that that is what you were talking about since the other option was that you responded with a red herring completely off topic to the post you were replying to. I like to give credit to people I talk to to assume at least a baseline level of reading comprehension. Since I don't really feel like continuing a conversation which some who is just one sidedly shouting random responses unrelated to the content they are replying to, have fun with that.

Once again...…. A REGISTRY. Not any general restriction, which is what your response turns the registry into. Not a red herring...…. I want the specific way a REGISTRY on it's own prevents the incidents that are happening. The person I responded to said "REGISTER" and nowhere mention "licensing". So check your own comprehension.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 AM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
We need two Americas. It’s at that point. Mo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies